Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 09:43 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,740,728 times

Advertisements

Surprised no. Angered yes

If someone robs a store or a bank that is one thing. But when people get robbed or beated that provide basic services something is wrong. Same with people spitting or beating MBTA drivers. If you don't like the bus service buy a bike or walk. Boston is pedestrian friendly. Stealing mail? Doesn't even make sense as it's not as if the postal service can't track a postal truck. What was he going to do? Sell stuff off it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:40 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,585,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Surprised no. Angered yes
If someone robs a store or a bank that is one thing. But when people get robbed or beated that provide basic services something is wrong.
If it was your child working at the Dunkin Donuts counter or you yourself were the bank teller who had a gun pointed in your face by a robber, I think your view would be less nonchalant. Violence and crime is bad in every situation.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:33 AM

3,962 posts, read 5,707,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1981 View Post
I gave it some more thought and I think why it's concerning is because it's a target who isn't part of a gang or some sort of drug issue. I guess I had assumed that most violence in Dorchester are related to gangs so you are relatively safe if you don't run with a gang or aren't involved with drugs. However this event has questioned that assumption and I may think differently about my surroundings when I am in that neighborhood. I even have friends who are starting to have children who live in that area of Dorchester since it's supposed to be up and coming. I wonder if they will reconsider given what happened...
Some of the streets bordering the neighborhood Bailey Street is in are very decent and quiet. I personally live on the opposite side of Ashmont Station and feel very safe in my neighborhood despite being robbed by six young punks back in March of '04 right behind the station. I wouldn't reconsider all of Dorchester just by one incident. We're in the city after all, where all different types of people live side by side, Black and White, rich and poor, honest and crooked, hardworking and lazy. One just has to exercise caution that's all.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:26 PM

503 posts, read 1,198,040 times
In a way it does surprise me because postal workers delivering mail getting robbed and shot is not something I can recall hearing about.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:28 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,899,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
It's Christmastime and he was carrying merchandise. I'm glad he wasn't seriously hurt.
Also, they are carrying a lot of x-mas cards which may contain cash. I know older people in my family will still slip a twenty (or whatever) in x-mas and birthday cards and I am guessing there's a lot of folks out there who also do this. So a low-life thief who needs cash for his next fix or whatever will take a chance with the envelopes in the mail truck, too.

I too am glad the mailman wasn't seriously hurt.

Last edited by geebabe; 12-22-2013 at 02:37 PM..

Old 12-22-2013, 02:40 PM

107 posts, read 163,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1981 View Post
I am shocked and otraged at the poor USPS employee by some crazed thief! I think I am taking it so hard because my father delivered mail in Boston for 30+ years. Is anyone else shocked?! Is Boston getting so dangerous that not even the mailman is safe? I thought the area where the shooting occured was a relatively safe area....

Any other thoughts?

I haven't heard about his story, I'll have to look it up ~ hope he's OK!

Old 12-23-2013, 10:46 AM

2,912 posts, read 5,127,929 times
Not to sound creepy, but I was on a side street in Brighton off N. Beacon. last week. I noticed a UPS driver struggling to unload several boxes onto the dolly (sp?). Seemed he would be leaving the large back door of the truck open as he delivered. I wondered how easy it would be for someone to steal from the truck during his distraction. If someone were to do that, hopefully they wouldn't use a weapon, right?

Old 12-23-2013, 12:02 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,899,223 times
I am pretty certain that the driver is NOT supposed to leave the doors open when delivering items. Sounds very risky to do so anywhere. I thought UPS, USPS, FEDEX, etc. all have rules in place for leaving trucks unsecure.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:08 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,585,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Not to sound creepy, but I was on a side street in Brighton off N. Beacon. last week. I noticed a UPS driver struggling to unload several boxes onto the dolly (sp?). Seemed he would be leaving the large back door of the truck open as he delivered. I wondered how easy it would be for someone to steal from the truck during his distraction. If someone were to do that, hopefully they wouldn't use a weapon, right?

Don't UPS drivers have helpers drive around with them during the holidays. One sits in the truck while the other one delivers the packages. There would always be somebody watching the truck.

I really hope we are not giving scum bags any "new" ideas with this discussion.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:11 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,390,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
I am pretty certain that the driver is NOT supposed to leave the doors open when delivering items. Sounds very risky to do so anywhere. I thought UPS, USPS, FEDEX, etc. all have rules in place for leaving trucks unsecure.
I work for USPS and yes, there are actually strict rules for securing the trucks. It's an individual's responsibility to follow these rules since we are not constantly observed.

Every once in a while, someone from Safety or District might follow us.

Even while in the truck and driving, we are not supposed to keep the mail tray side window open more than a few inches. If someone can reach his arm down into the truck, it's open too far. And it gets really hot in those trucks in the summer!

Unfortunately, there have been several robberies and shootings of carriers across the country recently. Sometimes the thieves just want the "Arrow" key, which is the master key to the boxes in each particular city. It has an arrow on it.

That's the keychain Cliff Clavin wore in Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston