U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 07:01 AM

4 posts, read 5,638 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Alrington, VA and work in downtown DC. I have been offered a transfer to Boston and I would be working in the JFK Federal Building. I would like to know a few things.

1. Is Boston better for a single male age 40 than DC?
2. I would like to find an area to live that in near decent nightlife.
3. I want to live in an area that I can easily take rail or subway to work (prefer under 1/2 hr commute).
4. I have a car and would like a fairly modern apartment that has underground or covered parking.
5. Allows dogs.
6. I am hoping to find 1 BR apartment staying as close to $2,000 a month as possible.

All help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 07:12 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
What type of nightlight?

Good thing about that location is that there are stops from most lines near their.

Only thing I wonder about is that there are new/modern apartment complexes in this area (one right near my work) but lots don't have parking, and they would be well more than 2k, and allows dogs? 30 minutes on the T doesn't get you too incredibly far out (if you include wait for a train).

I'm interested in seeing responses to this myself.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:50 AM

4 posts, read 5,638 times
Nightlife as in decent bar scene. Maybe a bar or two that locals frequent on a regular basis and if within walking distance so much the better.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:11 AM

2,049 posts, read 3,460,267 times
Boson is not known for decent or abundant nightlife options for the over 30-40 crwd...but I could e erong. Most places are slow unless Thurs.-Sat. Nights.

Quincy has modern apts. under $2,000 within your target commute time. 10Faxon (I think they have a website) is across from the subway there, the main library and a new YMCA as well as Planet Fitness. Also within a half mile of Quincy Shore Dr. and a beach.

Even closer, and modern, is 50westbroadway.com in South Boston. That may push you over your budget.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:13 AM

Quincy might work, it isn't my fav, but personal bias (I tend to like North of the city), but for complexes with parking it might make the most sense. Most places have bars w/ or w/o live music, so that isn't hard to find. I'm 42 and have no problems finding comfortable places to be out and about.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:01 PM

34 posts, read 58,449 times
1.) Compared to DC? I have no idea. Boston is a bit young and student-oriented in it's nightlife.
2.) Boston has lots of colleges, which bring a certain energy to it's nightlife. It shuts down at midnight, though.
3.) Boston has a great public transit system. The catch is it is so expensive lots of people end up living far from the city center.
4.) Hard to find in downtown Boston, possible in the inner suburbs.
5.) Hard to find.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:30 PM

75 posts, read 87,530 times
1. Last time I was in DC was in '96 so I can't compare but overall Boston is a pretty bad place to be single unless you're in college. It's a very family-oriented place altogether.
2. there is one major night club street - that'd be Lansdowne St. Living near there is doable (it's close to Fenway) but quite expensive. You're better off living on the border of Brookline and Boston which is not far away as well. There are other clubs too, scattered around the city but this place is the night life happening place per se
3. Subway or "T" is actually pretty ubiquitous. Once again, you're probably better off in Brookline or Cambridge. They're not far from Boston and Green and Red lines will serve you well
4. Ah! Having a car in Boston is a big no-no. They will try do anything to preclude you from owning one. Apartments with attached garages do exist but they tend to be relatively rare. Remember, most of Boston was built before cars even existed and Boston is very conservative with its architecture. They don't allow much to be demolishing and rebuilding so newer buildings with garages aren't all that common but they do exist
5. that's specific to your condo. Some allow dogs, some don't. Check in advance
6. $2K should be doable. Once again I wouldn't live in Boston proper because it's a pain in many places but this will get you a nice 1-bedroom in most nearby cities. In some it'll even merit a 2-bedroom

Old 12-24-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
1. Last time I was in DC was in '96 so I can't compare but overall Boston is a pretty bad place to be single unless you're in college. It's a very family-oriented place altogether.
Holy crud, can't identify, left Boston at 21 and came back at 33, I think it is the best single city I've been in. (Better than Chicago and SF for sure). The family stuff doesn't really kick in until late 40s and there are tons of mid/late 30s/early 40s single people here, many that just finished advanced degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
2. there is one major night club street - that'd be Lansdowne St. Living near there is doable (it's close to Fenway) but quite expensive. You're better off living on the border of Brookline and Boston which is not far away as well. There are other clubs too, scattered around the city but this place is the night life happening place per se
What do you call or refer to as a night club? I thought it was a place to go drink, perhaps dance, and listen to/see music. I think that definition has changed, since landsdowne hasn't been good for that in years. Great Scott, Sinclair, Royale, Paradise, Middle East, TTs, and many underground clubs triumph. Heck, Radio, Sally Obrien's, PA's Lounge and Precinct are in a block or two beat Landsdowne St, and I used to be a regular there.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:08 AM

2,049 posts, read 3,460,267 times
Station Landing in Medford has newer yuppie rentals, next to the orange line. Probaby a website to check out. it has a few nice restaurants and a Boson Sports Club. Probably a skyline view and Mystic River view from some units. There's a nice park across the street.

One lady I chatted with yesterday in my cab paid $400 monthly for her parking spot in a fancy Ft. Point Channel condo, but now uses cabs and Zipcar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or