U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 12:29 AM

40 posts, read 172,162 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to move back east. But the more I research, the more depressed I become.

He makes 60K right now, and I'm a full-time student.

His older brothers live in Boston, and they're pretty loaded, so of course they live in nice areas ($$$$)... but the most we could afford is $1500/mo, and want a 2-bedroom apartment.

Is this even possible for a safe area?
(We live in SoCal right now, and police sirens and gang shootings are a multiple-times-a-day occurrence near our current apartment. I want to live in a neighborhood where I feel safe walking by myself and I don't have to triple-lock my doors at night.)

Also, we want to start having children, and it doesn't seem like there are any good school districts in affordable areas.

What are some affordable areas with low-crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 06:31 AM
miu

16,471 posts, read 33,437,610 times
What does your husband do for work? How much longer will you be in school? Are you able to easily transfer to another school?

It seems to me that there are two things that you need to research first. See what your husband's job opportunities are elsewhere in the US. And also to see where you can transfer to so you can finish your academic degree.

Also, do you have any money saved for such a big move?

Old 12-26-2013, 06:41 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wants2MoveNOW View Post
My husband and I want to move back east. But the more I research, the more depressed I become.

His older brothers live in Boston, and they're pretty loaded, so of course they live in nice areas ($$$$)... but the most we could afford is $1500/mo, and want a 2-bedroom apartment.

(We live in SoCal right now, and police sirens and gang shootings are a multiple-times-a-day occurrence near our current apartment. I want to live in a neighborhood where I feel safe walking by myself and I don't have to triple-lock my doors at night.)

Also, we want to start having children, and it doesn't seem like there are any good school districts in affordable areas.

Also, I think that you need to be patient. If $1500 all you can afford for a two bedroom apartment and it being in a good neighborhood with a good school system, then that's not going to happen in the Boston area. And on top of that, children cost $$ to raise. And in the meantime, will you have student loans to pay off?

Wherever you move, start with a one-bedroom apartment and you finishing school. The two-bedroom apartment can wait until the children arrive and need their own room. Get a full time job for a few years and build up a savings account for when you do have children. You need to get some decent work skills before you start having children and focusing on raising them. Later on, you will need to go back into the job market to help your husband with the family income.

Otherwise, Boston is considered to be a very expensive place to live in. Most families living well are the result of both parents working full time in good careers. Perhaps you should look into moving to NC.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:12 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,316,874 times
60K for two people?

You two need to live in a one-bedroom, in a cheap area of town if you insist on moving to Boston, and you working hard to finish your degree. Then, you need to find a job asap, and the two of you need to remain childless while you both work your tushes off build your joint assets.

Only once your combined income passes 120K for a few years, and you have a solid saving account in the bank, and you have an excellent credit history, should you even contemplate kids or bigger apartments.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:02 AM
miu

I did a search of your previous posts. You were pregnant in July and your husband is a webpage designer. You are going to school for nutrition.

Most likely, the Boston area will be out of your income range in regards to wanting to have a two-bedroom in a nice neighborhood.

But again, does an infant really need their own bedroom? Good luck to the three of you.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:47 AM

6,996 posts, read 6,707,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wants2MoveNOW View Post

If you are willing to commute from one of the outer suburbs (I 495), you could find what you are looking for.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:16 AM

5,021 posts, read 4,835,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If you are willing to commute from one of the outer suburbs (I 495), you could find what you are looking for.
I agree.

Don't know why others are being so pessimistic and giving advice on things other than what was asked. I think it's do-able for you guys, not easy but do-able. I mean you won't be livin' the high life but I think you can make it work.

Best of luck to whatever you decide.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:06 PM

116 posts, read 318,044 times
Quincy, Braintree, and Weymouth have some apartments that are in your range.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:16 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I agree.

Don't know why others are being so pessimistic and giving advice on things other than what was asked. I think it's do-able for you guys, not easy but do-able. I mean you won't be livin' the high life but I think you can make it work.

Best of luck to whatever you decide.
Anything is do-able... however there are many aspects to a successful move to the Boston area that need to be addressed... such has making sure that her husband is able to find decent work right away. And there is no guarantee for that. In addition, the OP never indicated that they have a good amount of savings set aside for a cross country move.

And a lack of funds will put a huge stress on their marriage. I think that all us pessimistic ones just want their move to not be full of struggles or a possible failure. Especially since the OP is pregnant.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:38 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,406,451 times
Well, time to start with the good news. There's pretty much nothing in Boston proper as bad as where you currently live from the sounds of it. Maybe if you went out to Brockton or something. Point being, when people are talking about bad neighborhoods in Boston....they still aren't a war-zone like that.

Anyway, with your budget though, I agree with other posters, you are most likely best off looking outside the city limits where you could maybe find something in your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or