U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 08:57 AM

865 posts, read 2,245,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
I always see Boston as listed as one of the top ten urban/vibrant cities in the US on this forum. However, having lived in Boston for many years, I don't see how that is so. The city is the least exciting city I've ever been to, and the city practically shuts down after sunset. All of my friends who visit Boston from other cities often remark "that's it?" When I show them all the main sites and notice how boring it is. How is Boston considered so vibrant on this forum?
The statement that the city practically shuts down after sunset is ridiculous, and it leads me to believe that the OP is trolling. He/she is making this forum boring by repeating the same stuff over and over.

Perhaps you should spend some time looking for a new job in your favorite city, San Francisco. Seriously, life is short; why not spend it in a place you love?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:57 AM

2,545 posts, read 4,853,702 times
Quote:
All of my friends who visit Boston from other cities often remark "that's it?" When I show them all the main sites and notice how boring it is.
Are you sure it wasn't you who bored them?

Next time they're in town, put them in touch with me. I'll show 'em a good time.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:46 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,204,770 times
Quote:
I always see Boston as listed as one of the top ten urban/vibrant cities in the US on this forum. However, having lived in Boston for many years, I don't see how that is so. The city is the least exciting city I've ever been to, and the city practically shuts down after sunset. All of my friends who visit Boston from other cities often remark "that's it?" When I show them all the main sites and notice how boring it is. How is Boston considered so vibrant on this forum?
I personally consider Boston boring because I lived here nearly all my life, been to practically every single neighborhood, and have done almost everything one can do. This is just for myself though. Having said that, people who lived here for a shorter period of time can and will find Boston exciting. We have great sports teams, a still vibrant downtown with *gasp* actual downtown retail (how many other cities not named New York, Chicago, or Philadelphia in this country have this?), a plenitude of college campuses, and a stellar arts and culture scene. Oh and yes we do have some nightlife too. What more do you want?

Old 12-30-2013, 10:41 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,528,280 times
Because it IS urban and vibrant. What is your deal? You've asked this same question over and over on several thread in various forums and you've gotten the same answer over and over. It is what it is. Give it up.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:25 AM

2,545 posts, read 4,853,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Because it IS urban and vibrant. What is your deal? You've asked this same question over and over on several thread in various forums and you've gotten the same answer over and over. It is what it is. Give it up.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

I've noticed he/she also uses the username Oistrakh.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:29 AM

4,051 posts, read 4,426,276 times
Notice how the OP has not backed up the blanket statement with any reasoning or facts. Let's not feed the troll, people.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:43 AM

37 posts, read 47,357 times
xS☺Be, I think the point the OP was trying to make (despite being a troll) is that a lot of smaller US cities have grown at breakneck speed over the past few decades and it can be shocking to spend time in them and realize that -- at least in some ways -- they actually can go toe-to-toe with Boston. Not in long-standing Boston legacy industries like finance, medical, education, etc., but definitely in terms of raw vibrancy. I work in tourism, and when you consider that 40 years ago Orlando was quite literally swampland and now I would argue is as vibrant as Boston for visitors in terms of raw # of things to do + diversity of people... I think that may be the OP's point. That maybe a few decades ago Boston would unquestionably be in the top 10 in the nation as far as vibrant cities go, but so many smaller cities have emerged with so many compelling things to do that it's going to get increasingly tough for larger, lumbering cities like Boston that tend to lean on their (admittedly, rich) history to compete. Boston's hardly alone in this -- NYC is already grappling with this in a way -- Orlando has gotten more visitors than NYC for 19 out of the past 20 years, and you can tell they're just like "Whaaaa???!! How did this happen??!"

I really think it's the rise of smaller cities. It's like how the city with the second largest bank holdings behind NYC isn't LA or Chicago or Boston... it's Charlotte. These things just happen, like Disney planting themselves in Orlando, and seeds grow up very quickly around them. Charlotte's light rail, for instance, while not as complex as Boston's public transport, is so new that for some people that's going to make the city inherently more vibrant. For others it's not. But it's a form of competition that simply wasn't there a few decades ago.

I think that may be the OP's point. That Boston is still an amazing city, but the landscape of the USA -- especially in terms of the strength of smaller cities -- has changed dramatically over the last 25 years or so. I also think the photos you posted ironically kind of prove that point -- when I look at them, they look just as vibrant as many smaller US cities I've been to.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:00 AM

37 posts, read 47,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
The statement that the city practically shuts down after sunset is ridiculous
I agree that sunset is obviously an exaggeration, but I've always found it odd that a city with such a large student population basically does shut down around midnight -- that's at least when you have to begin planning for the end of the night. I know it's kind of threaded into the city's psyche because of the Puritans or something, and it's actually admirable that Boston knows what it is and doesn't want or need to be a Miami or Vegas, but there is indeed a middle ground and Boston currently isn't in it. For a city of its size, the fact that everything goes quiet relatively early has always seemed a little strange to me.

It does give the city character, but as more and more small cities gain population and don't have any qualms with keeping things open later, it's going to keep growing as an issue for Boston. I also find it a little rough when people claim Boston as some kind of "party central", that's when the wheels go right off the track for me. It's an amazing, historic, seriously-minded education/medical/finance city -- and it does have a fun side, especially with sports -- but when I watch some people try to stack "and it's got moah baaahs than Miami!!!" on top of that I really being to wonder if some people simply can't let other places be better at some things than Boston, like their beloved city has to "win" at everything. I'm a Boston native and love it too, but I'm also not wearing blinders. I don't think the city has to be 24/7 or close down at 4 AM, but 2 AM is now pretty standard practice for major cities in the US. And while some claim that's when Boston shuts down, the elephant in the room is that it really doesn't and most basically know it. Whether they want to admit it or not is a whole other story.

Last edited by table12; 12-31-2013 at 11:14 AM..

Old 12-31-2013, 11:16 AM

182 posts, read 231,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I personally consider Boston boring because I lived here nearly all my life, been to practically every single neighborhood, and have done almost everything one can do. This is just for myself though. Having said that, people who lived here for a shorter period of time can and will find Boston exciting. We have great sports teams, a still vibrant downtown with *gasp* actual downtown retail (how many other cities not named New York, Chicago, or Philadelphia in this country have this?), a plenitude of college campuses, and a stellar arts and culture scene. Oh and yes we do have some nightlife too. What more do you want?
1. A dining scene on par with San Francisco's, where one can find outstanding yet reasonably priced restaurants on practically every street of every neighborhood (and in some neighborhoods, on practically every block).
2. More karaoke studios.
3. More late-night dining options, other than those in Chinatown.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:26 AM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
I was surprised by the lack of late night stuff for a city with such a large college population. I went to Ohio State in Columbus- was not hard to be out until 3-4 am in the city. Most bars I go to in my hometown, Cleveland, are open until 2:30 every day of the week. Boston has a lot of good things, but having fun at night isn't one of them. I'd rank it solidly in the middle of the cities I've been to.

I don't understand karaoke. Why don't you guys just learn to play guitar and drink and sing with your friends? Now that's a good time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or