U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 11:05 PM

167 posts, read 269,960 times

Advertisements

I think the sports teams are basically the thing around here, and the less amount of nightlife is replaced by the sports teams, hence why they are so popular here. Not many other places in the country support the sports teams in their city as religiously as in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 11:45 AM

122 posts, read 204,083 times
bjimmy24 and lrmsd,

I actually said that I don't judge by night life.

I've been to all of the cities on the list. Pittsburgh is a great city that has undergone a big transformation (accompanied by a big population decline) as it shifted from a coal/steel economy to an economy with growth coming from companies spinning out of Carnegie-Mellon and drawing on/attracting an educated work force. Nashville has its own culture (music and bars; not one I love but it's got one) and Chicago is pretty strong on culture (music and art) and is I think an under-respected city although it has been in serious decline for over a decade. But, I have been pretty unimpressed by Cleveland, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, even Philadelphia (which incidentally is probably considered to be on the east coast). There are more talks open to the public by interesting people in Boston on any given day than in all of those cities combined. Cambridge (Harvard and MIT) is a node in the networks of power in the universe. Everyone -- country presidents and cabinet ministers, authors and poets, artists, scientists, ... -- all pass through and speak. They usually don't make it to Philadelphia and really rarely make it to Cincinnati or Milwaukee. To me, people with ideas passing through are part of vibrancy.

More important, if you think about who is actually contributing to innovation in our country, my perception is that innovation would be concentrated on the East and West coasts. Just looked it up -- but to take an example, patents filed in 2012 in the US from states on the East and West coasts constituted 62% of all patents filed in the US, and this has been increasing over the years. My guess is that if you took the academic citation indices for influential academic articles, New England and California combined would exceed the rest of the country (and possibly the rest of the world). The Boston area would be a big contributer to this. Most middle-of-the-country cities and states have actually been declining economically for decades -- they are not punching their weight economically. [Not true of Texas, where natural resources are a driver and where fracking was invented]. The high art in rust belts cities is reflective, as you point out, of the decline -- barons who used to create wealth there left there art, but the incremental additions have probably declined substantially over time. Many cities in the middle of the country are in fact losing population. Since 2000, Chicago's population has declined by over 200,00 people while NY and LA grew. Ten of the 12 cities with the sharpest population declines have been in the middle of the US: See America's Shrinking Cities: Report.

Economic decline and vibrancy don't go hand-in-hand in my experience. My sense is that if vibrancy has to do with innovation (and not people going to bars), Boston is very strong and many of the cities on your list are weak (Austin, Pittsburgh and Nashville for music are the biggest exceptions).

I am of the opinion that diversity of perspectives (not measured of skin color) increases creativity. My comment on gays is that in the cities I know well, gays (who often don't have kids) have time and money that they choose to spend disproportionately on good restaurants, museums, art, etc. (which probably contributes to the vibrancy that the OP was talking about). So, lrmsd, if you follow, the proportion of gays was not a criterion, but a variable that is correlated with and contributes to vibrancy. You've picked out one city where gays are suppressed/discriminated against that is vibrant (in part like Dallas and Houston because they happen to be lucky to be sitting on oil and gas and thus have a lot of money but aren't as restrictive/discriminatory as the Gulf, where vibrancy is basically forbidden). In the US, where most states don't discriminate that much against gays (I'm not gay and my antenna are not tuned for this, but I would again suspect that anti-gay discrimination is lesser on the East and West coasts than in the middle of the country, but I could be wrong here), the presence of gays does seem to contribute to money being spent on restaurants, theater, art, etc.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:07 AM

529 posts, read 634,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I always get a kick out of posts from people who are either surprised by the driving in Boston or say that Boston's a "bad place" because the driving is so tough. If a city is a bad place because driving is difficult, traffic is bad, and drivers are aggressive, then London, New York, Rome, Tokyo, San Francisco, Madrid, Milan, Paris, etc. are all just simply awful cities.

If you come to Boston (or any of the cities I just listed) and expect to have little/no trouble driving, then you're the problem. Traffic sucks here. It's not a secret or a mystery. It's also not unique to Boston. Thankfully, Boston's a dense, walkable city with an extensive transit system to reduce/ eliminate the need to drive for most. If you move here (or any dense, urban city for that matter) and expect to live exactly like you do in the auto-centric place you came from, you're going to be miserable and I have very little sympathy for the folks that run into this problem. Because, as has been mentioned, Boston's traffic woes are no secret and certainly not unique to Boston.

I also get a chuckle out of people who complain that a city is, "full of gays." I get it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and if you don't like a group of people because of their preferences in the bedroom, nobody is going to change your mind. However, there's a word for people who deride an entire group of people based on their gender, race, or sexual preference, and that word is, "bigot." If you poll the entirety of America and ask whether they'd rather live in a city "full of gays" or a city full of bigots, the overwhelming majority will pick the city "full of gays." And the overwhelming majority of people who choose the city full of bigots are also going to be bigots. So every time a bigot says they don't like Boston because of [insert group of people here], most of us are quite happy that they choose not to live here.

Also, when you choose to attack a city and claim that its "high education" is just "sensationalism," it helps to avoid using an endless stream of run-on sentences and grammatical errors. You know, because they make it difficult to take your opinion on the matter seriously.

Oh, and GoldCountry80, three of the four posts before mine were written by you criticizing Boston and the people who live here. When you accuse someone else of "stirring up the pot," it's the pot calling the kettle black.
I sense the passive aggressiveness in your reply and white folks like you need to be distanced from as you aren't worth saving. Liberalism is backwards, not the other way around.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
OK, I guess I see where you're coming from. Ooh! Scary!!

Just FYI, the part of the south where I live now is a lot more tolerant and diverse than much of Eastern Massachusetts, as you exemplify so perfectly. Keep on fighting that battle!
Well ya the Whigs out of Athens GA who WAS a favorite alternative band of mine sold out and let Uncle Tom rappers on their stage at SXSW. I think it was TheGetoBoys or something.. I tweeted to them how I will sell all their CD's of theirs that I own so ya, that's where I stand. I am not one of those MA liberals who act all tolerant on the outside while being racist behind closed doors.. I say it how it is and to whoever I want to say it to.

Any civilization that has experienced multiculturalism is a failed one. That's not racist or bigoted, that's just facts.. ask around.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

3 (kind of obvious) things that show that the poster is not from Eastern MA:

1) No northerner would say something like "I side with the true south".

2) No part of MA (to my knowledge) is referred to as "gold country".

3) The poster him/herself said that they do not live in MA. (lucky for those of us who do)

Also, I have family in Charlotte, and have a hard time believing that any part of NC is more diverse than eastern MA. (Tolerance is harder to quantify, though).

What part of Boston doesn't have street signs??
I know! No way this is possible.. MA has every frikken minority group under the sun. Theres Dominicans, Cape Verdeans, Portuguese, Cambodians, Jamaicans, Haitians.. No city in NC has all that sorry. That kind of diversity in the South can only go to Miami. So ya someone is lying.. but that's what liberals do, they lie to twist the story and to make themselves feel good.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I thought he said something about "moving back to Boston" at one point. "I went back to MA not long ago and I got repulsed going near Boston." The other town names he drops make it sound like he's certainly familiar with the area.

I didn't say all of eastern MA, but there are plenty of towns that are almost as white as they were when I was a kid:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Ipswich-Massachusetts.html
Ipswich: 94% white.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Georgetown-Massachusetts.html
Georgetown: 98% white

http://www.city-data.com/city/Rowley-Massachusetts.html
Rowley: 97% white

http://www.city-data.com/city/Newburyport-Massachusetts.html
Newburyport: 94% white

http://www.city-data.com/city/Swampscott-Massachusetts.html
Swampscott: 93% white

Some of the towns much closer to Boston have started to "let" Asians in, but they sure don't seem too hospitable to black people:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Arling...achusetts.html
Arlington: 84% white. 2% black.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Lexing...achusetts.html
Lexington: 74% white, 1.1% black

Pretty much all of it? Is this a trick question? Not that there aren't any street signs whatsoever, but very few that would help someone from out-of-town find their way around. They don't even put up "merging traffic" or "keep right" signs at complex intersections like the ones near Alewife T station (Alewife Brook Parkway & Rt 2) or near BBN (Fresh Pond Parkway, Eliot Bridge and Greenough Parkway). And you can drive for miles on many main streets without seeing a single sign to tell you the name of the street you're on.
Cherry pick much? I mean if you want to intensely look for examples of less diversity in MA vs NC you can but overall, MA has way more diversity than most places in NC but nice try.. continue to be the good lib that you are

Old 03-21-2014, 04:28 AM
bUU

11,699 posts, read 8,161,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
overall, MA has way more diversity than most places in NC
Perhaps instead of whining about the inadequacy of the previous poster's data, you instead present some unassailable data that proves your contention.

Quote:
but nice try.. continue to be the good lib that you are
Clueless. Not only are you probably wrong, factually, but your rhetoric has lost the music, since the claim that there is less diversity in Massachusetts towns than in North Carolina towns, on average, is a right-leaning argument, not a left-leaning argument.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Perhaps instead of whining about the inadequacy of the previous poster's data, you instead present some unassailable data that proves your contention.

Clueless. Not only are you probably wrong, factually, but your rhetoric has lost the music, since the claim that there is less diversity in Massachusetts towns than in North Carolina towns, on average, is a right-leaning argument, not a left-leaning argument.
Unassailable wow.. where did you learn that word? some fancy liberal arts college? I've heard big words before but not that one.

I just know that there are literally no cities in NC with as much a multicultural makeup as Lowell or Revere or Everett even. With THAT many ethnicities?? no way. you have to go to Miami like I said before. You'll get all those islanders and Hispanics there.. Asheville by no means is all that diverse, Charlotte has black and white I know..Wilmington mostly white with liberal politics perhaps.. dude come on give it up. Nowhere near as much as MA and Southern NE.. I mean ya cherry pick the white coastal MA towns to the North and you can find them and even then, it be a challenge to say its that much more white in those places in MA than all over NC. Ok in Layman's terms, Charlotte NC compared to Newburyport or Ipswich then yes, you'd have an argument but it can't get much more than that really. MA hands and feet down has more racial diversity overall. Its just highly segregated.. that's the main difference.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:00 AM
bUU

11,699 posts, read 8,161,343 times
Quote:
Unassailable wow.. where did you learn that word?
Fifth grade.

Quote:
some fancy liberal arts college? I've heard big words before but not that one.
Your comments smell of feelings of inadequacy. Here's something else I learned, this one in college (not fancy, not liberal arts): "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote:
I just know...
In other words, along with an antipathy for intelligence in others, you also hold and antipathy for becoming more intelligent yourself through researching and discovering the actual truth about what you want to believe. That's surely your prerogative.

Here is the results of the research you should have taken responsibility for doing yourself:

http://www.s4.brown.edu/us2010/Data/...rt08292012.pdf

The most telling statistics there are in Table 1, which shows clearly that the south is more racially diverse, on every level, than the northeast.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:06 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,249,422 times
Quote:
Cherry pick much?
LOL. What multi-ethnic towns did I leave out? Newbury? Groveland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or