U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 10:43 PM

68 posts, read 31,236 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently rent in Brighton, we're relative newcomers to Boston, having moved here from London two years ago. We're in our late twenties/early thirties and probably looking to have a child in the next few years. We work in Kendall sq and Chestnut Hill (BC) and both commute by T - it's more important that the commute to Cambridge be convenient as I'm not required to commute every day.

We almost bought a condo in JP last year, but the appraisal came in low and the deal fell through. At the moment we're looking at JP, Brighton Center, Allston Village, Mission Hill and Dorchester (Savin Hill, Ashmont and Lower Mills). We're open to a variety of housing options: condos, duplexes and single families and our budget is about $400k (more for a duplex). Are there any areas we should consider that aren't on our list - we're open to being outside of Boston if the transit and local amenities (restaurants, bars and supermarkets particularly) are good.

Also: we don't have a car. We're not particularly excited by Brighton, though we like Brighton Center a lot (but transit is a bit crappy) and would prefer to live somewhere a bit more diverse and better connected to downtown.

Last edited by MadameMerle; 01-01-2014 at 10:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 12:02 PM

6,326 posts, read 9,050,368 times
What are you looking for in your next home? 2 bedrooms, 3 bedrooms, more? How many bathrooms? Is there a particular size requirement you have? Do you picture this home as a place you'll be living long term or do you plan on up sizing in five years or so? If you have children, do you plan on sending them to private school? The Boston public schools on the whole are not particularly well thought of compared to the school systems outside city limits. Also, are you specifically looking for a more urban environment? There's not a ton of information to go on in your post.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:46 PM

Scools aren't important- we will probably not be in Boston by the time any child we might have is school age as we don't have much control over where our jobs take us.

We are not hung up on number of beds: 2 is ideal but we are open to a three bed, or a large one bed for the right price.

Rental potential is important as we don't know where we will be beyond the next three to four years.

No where in Boston feels particularly urban to me, it's a very neighborhoody city. Like I said, what we're looking for is walkable restaurants, bars, supermarkets and transit - sometimes you get that in a suburb/exurb (e.g.Newton Centre), sometimes in an inner neighborhood (The South End), though both of these feel a bit twee to me.

Last edited by MadameMerle; 01-02-2014 at 01:22 PM..

Old 01-02-2014, 01:56 PM

5,945 posts, read 6,763,343 times
If you are fine with a multi-family condo maybe Cambridge around Porter Square or Somerville Davis Square area where the Kendall commuter would have a very quick ride on the red line and the Chestnut Hill commuter could switch to the green line at Park Street. You could also get a multi-family condo in Arlington and bike or walk the bike path to Alewife or take one of the many buses to that train station. You would likely find these areas less "twee" than the South End. Porter also has a commuter rail that goes directly to North Station. Davis Square is even more perfect for those who are car-free and don't have to worry about parking on the wrong side of the street on snow days like this one.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
If you are fine with a multi-family condo maybe Cambridge around Porter Square or Somerville Davis Square area where the Kendall commuter would have a very quick ride on the red line and the Chestnut Hill commuter could switch to the green line at Park Street. You could also get a multi-family condo in Arlington and bike or walk the bike path to Alewife or take one of the many buses to that train station. You would likely find these areas less "twee" than the South End. Porter also has a commuter rail that goes directly to North Station. Davis Square is even more perfect for those who are car-free and don't have to worry about parking on the wrong side of the street on snow days like this one.
Thanks 495neighbour. We don't know Somerville at all and only know Cambridge well around Harvard, Central and Kendall sqs. I was looking at the mbta map and thinking we should maybe check out that end of the red line so thanks for suggesting these. My impression has been that Cambridge is really expensive for what you get, I take it Somerville is more affordable?

I think Arlington would be too cut off for me (I cannot drive and so would be entirely reliant on transit) though in other ways it seems a good fit.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:02 PM

7,096 posts, read 10,835,768 times
Somerville is more affordable than Cambridge, but $400,000 in the Davis Square area won't get you much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or