U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 12:35 PM

6,370 posts, read 8,598,432 times

Advertisements

I am planning a vacation in Boston in the summer (July or August). I have never been there before. What are the places everyone must visit when in Boston or nearby cities? I will also rent a car, so I can go to more places.

I just noticed I have posted in the wrong section. Can someone move it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 01:29 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,236,789 times
I think you will like a day trip out to the Boston Harbor Islands--very scenic, historic, and fun. You will also like the Arnold Arboretum, a bit like the one near U of W in Seattle, which you can reach on the subway. You might enjoy a drive out to "Worlds End", a scenic peninsula on Hingham Bay where you can spend a few hours walking the beautiful trails. Nothing challenging but very pleasant water views. You must visit the North Shore-- walk around in old Marblehead, drive along the coast from Beverly up around Cape Ann. Right in Boston, walk around through the Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Common and Garden, downtown, and North End-Waterfront. All enjoyable. Many good hikes throughout New England-- One of the favorites from the Boston area is Monadnock, in southwestern New Hampshire. In the same state, the White Mountains are a hiker's paradise. Hiking in New England is mostly through forest but in the Whites you get up above timberline and it's lovely. Maybe visit the N. H. lakes too, like Squam or Winnepesaukee; or Sebago in Maine. You don't have big natural lakes like these in the northwest. For Puget Sound-ish scenery, visit the Maine Coast north/east of Portland. For sandy beaches and salt marsh, Cape Cod, NH and Southern Me, and Rhode Island.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:37 PM

675 posts, read 1,196,926 times
This might be cliché but I would take a Duck Tour (Boston Duck Tours Splash Page) I know a lot of people think they're too touristy but it's for a reason - the tour actually hits all of the spots that would make someone say, "Yep, I've seen Boston". If you only had an afternoon in the city I'd pick this, and if you do it first thing at the beginning of a longer trip you may get ideas about things you'd like to see a bit closer.

The city in the summer is so nice that I think you could just stay there, but since you do have a car if you have a day or more to spend I'd suggest Salem and the North Shore and if you had 2-3 days you could even try Cape Cod. But either of those require enough travel time that I wouldn't attempt unless you had time to really enjoy your destination.

What are your interests? General sightseeing? History? Nature? Restaurants and nightlife?

Old 01-03-2014, 02:39 PM

What is the best summer month weatherwise?

Old 01-03-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
What are your interests? General sightseeing? History? Nature? Restaurants and nightlife?
mostly sightseeing/outdoor activities and taking good pictures.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:12 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,425,603 times
Not outdoors (mostly), but I went to the New England Aquarium last weekend and loved it. Great aquarium -- it was my second visit. The centerpiece and easy highlight is the Giant Ocean Tank, which rises multiple stories in the middle of a spiral walkway and contains a Caribbean coral reef along with more than 2,000 species.

I now live outside of Providence -- that city is highly underrated and a great day trip from Boston. Check out the downtown riverwalk and stroll around the East Side. Salem is fun, too, especially because you'll be visiting in the summer and will be removed from the worst of the Halloween-related silliness (and crowds). I guarantee you will take great photos in both places.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:57 PM

I will definitely put Providence on my list. It looks nice on Google Street View. Are there any nice beaches in/around Boston where you can actually swim?

Old 01-29-2014, 11:45 AM

47 posts, read 125,879 times
I was in Boston last March. Even though it was cold and snowing we had a great time. We live in Asheville, NC and were in CT to visit my family I had not seen in about 4 or so years (I am from CT). We thought Boston would be great to visit for a day. I have to say the one thing we totally agreed on is that we need to plan just a vacation to Boston. There where so many things that we wanted to see and do. We did take the Duck tour, which was great and gave some good info, (like all the Dunkin Donuts in Boston). I would have loved the time to go inside of some of the churches and go to the Italian district of Boston (being 1/2 Italian). We ended up going to Boston one more day and went to the NE Aquarium. It was great and a lot to see, we spent most of the day in there. We did do the Boston Tea Party tour. I love history, but honestly 2 days is not enough time to try to pack it all into.

I did get some great pictures and I am now planning a trip back to Mass/Boston area for this summer. This time I am looking for towns around to move to. As much as I loved Boston, I could never afford to live there.

If you love history, definitely make sure you have plenty of days to see most of Boston. I will be going to Salem, Marblehead, Plymouth, Marion, Ipswich, Boston and a few more (not in that order). I am planning at least 2 weeks this time.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:49 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,401,224 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Freedom Trail. It's a great way to see Boston and it's free. Boston is a great city for walking.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:14 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,929,030 times
Get up to Gloucester and go to the beach. Check out Newburyport, a beautiful small city with great night life and more beaches. Go see some of the oldest houses through Historic New England - they have house tours in Essex and Ipswich. My top two places in the North End: Antico Forno and L'Osteria. Oh and Regina Pizzeria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston