Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:18 PM

23 posts, read 75,939 times

Advertisements

I PRESUME that the strip clubs attract, among others, unsavory elements and drug addicts, thus not only making the area less frequented by those who want to keep it relatively classy with their spouses, SOs, dates, friends etc; but also increasing the crime rates. Would you then find a home in a building next to a famous strip club (or two) if you wanted to be in a relatively vibrant and safe area? Or in other words, can strip clubs, safety and healthy nightlife coexist?

Context: A new building is offering decent prices (although still whopping compared to many other areas) in downtown. It is a very short walk to the workplace, making it incredibly attractive, but not enough to forgo the nightlife scene and safety element.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 02:32 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,108,256 times
Are you refering to the Kensington on Washington St? If so, I would have no problem living in that building, or neighborhood for that matter. The drug addicts were priced out 30 years ago.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:39 AM

Yeah, that would be the one.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 AM

154 posts, read 215,281 times
There's a real good one* in Philly that is open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mon - Sat. That's how it stays open and the area stays good.

* clean inside and out, pretty girls, non-shady employees, food, good beer selection. Basically a bar with dancing girls.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:19 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Put up luxury high rises, power wash the old buildings and clean the trash from the street and our own little Times Square Jr. is still a shadowy place. I include leather district, Chinatown, Bay Village, Downtown Crossing and the gritty little edge of the South End down Herald Street. At least the den of vice Zanzibar went out of business.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:26 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,109,593 times
There's a difference between the average strip club and the fancy high-end places in terms of who's going there. I wouldn't want to live near the average strip club because it draws in a ****ty crowd.

The fancy high-end place? Sure, the people who can afford that place probably aren't bringing crime and other trouble. (maybe committing White-collar crime by day, but doesn't matter for this purpose). And unlike the average place, I'd expect they put effort into maintaining "respectability" with security, cleanliness in public-facing areas, etc.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:13 PM

188 posts, read 283,425 times
This is a very active and vibrant area. There are few strip clubs indeed, but also there are homeless shelters, bars, hotels, theaters, dorms…thousands of people... I mean it is Boston Downtown!
I personally would have absolutely no problem to live in this neighborhood.
The apartments in the high-rises in the Downtown area are sold for millions, so you can figure that many people would want to move there if they could afford it. There is another new luxury apartment complex a couple of blocks away (the Millenium) and Ritz has residencies as well. All these luxury buildings have 24/7 concierge and in my opinion are very safe.
Having said that, this does not necessarily mean that everybody would feel comfortable living downtown. You might want to spend few days or late nights around this area to see whether you are comfortable. A friend of mine wanted to buy an apartment in one of the buildings in the neighborhood and she was planning to spend few days in a hotel nearby, just to see whether she likes the area. Again, it is a great area, but it may not be ideal for everyone and you have to go somewhere that you feel comfortable.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:02 PM

Great advice and ideas. Thanks everyone for those. I'm more comfortable now looking in that area. Maybe I will get a hotel there for 2-3 days prior to signing a lease, just to be sure.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:10 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,108,256 times
I notice today the Kensington has a dual level roof deck with pool and outdoor fireplace. I'd move in in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
My father-in-law used to live in that part of Boston. It never struck me as unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: