Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:41 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,691,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana_natt View Post
I am a 23 yr old mother of a 6 month old. I am thinking about starting our life over and moving to boston. I want to know some good areas to get a apartment in. I need a area where there is no ghetto people. Just a family neighborhood. I dont want to raise my son in a rough area. It's quite and calm. Its need to be a affordable place. I just dont want a to be in a bad area. I cant stress that enough.
Boston isn't the right place for you because it's just too expensive.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:20 PM

316 posts, read 723,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mialia View Post
Based off of your horrendous grammar skills, you probably do not have a college education, which means unless you are an electrician or are in another blue collar trade, you are absolutely not going to be able afford to live here. You will not be able to find a job with just one income that is going to afford you the ability to be a single mother with a child, unless you are degreed. I assume you are not.

Daycare? Honey, that will cost you about $1500 a month in the SUBURBS.
Rent? $1200 for a one bedroom in the SUBURBS.
Gas to your JOB?
Food? (or are you planning on applying for food stamps?)
This is still appallingly rude even after being edited by the moderator (thanks btw for stepping in!)

I wonder if perhaps some parts of Western Mass might offer more of what you're seeking. It can still be pricey in the Amherst/Five College area, but there are job and educational opportunities there, and it's not too far to get to Boston or New York for day trips. There's still culture, largely thanks to the presence of the colleges. Best of luck!

Old 02-10-2014, 05:42 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,142,528 times
The OP made several identical threads and posted them in other regional forums and also the one about US cities. Long story short, at the time of the thread, she was working on getting some sort of nursing certificate. Plus she admitted that her desire to move from Vegas was very impulsive. I believe that I persuaded her to stay in Vegas to complete her schooling first before moving to a new place. Moving is all well and good, but with a baby in tow, she needs to take the time to carefully plan her move, and to do so with as much support as possible (having savings and a desirable job skill).

Old 02-10-2014, 05:51 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,142,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Boston isn't the right place for you because it's just too expensive.
^^^ This and the very blunt mialia was correct, those who do best in the Boston area are those with good higher education and communication skills. If she were to apply for more than a minimum wage job with the writing skills of her first post, most HR departments would immediately pass over her application.

And if mialia were one of my family members, I'd be telling her to work on and improve her English grammar skills ASAP and possibly with just as strong a wording in order to get her to take the situation seriously. What's wrong with using a little tough love and truth when trying to improve the situation of a 23 year old young adult with a six month old child? Especially when she also is desiring a life in a safe neighborhood and away from her ex in prison?

Old 02-10-2014, 10:04 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,048,540 times
OP seems to be intending to move everywhere.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:37 PM

316 posts, read 723,159 times
Miu, I certainly think your intentions are good, but a) you're not her family member and b) she needn't be scolded publicly for asking for advice on a forum. If you want to make an extremely harsh point, however well-intentioned, it's my believe that it should be done privately via message. Just my opinion. In any event, we're getting off topic, and I'm contributing to that. Perhaps this thread should be closed since it seems that there may have been a resolution to the OP's concern.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:29 PM

9,991 posts, read 15,634,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professeurpablo View Post
Miu, I certainly think your intentions are good, but a) you're not her family member and b) she needn't be scolded publicly for asking for advice on a forum. If you want to make an extremely harsh point, however well-intentioned, it's my believe that it should be done privately via message. Just my opinion. In any event, we're getting off topic, and I'm contributing to that. Perhaps this thread should be closed since it seems that there may have been a resolution to the OP's concern.
Good suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston