U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 06:59 PM

5,529 posts, read 8,184,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by table12 View Post
It's ironic -- I'm a Democrat, but I think in some ways you have a point. I've been discussing with all the good people here in some other threads about my concerns with Boston's inability to stay open later. Not 24/7 like Vegas, but just a little later. And I keep kind of arriving at the idea that the city (and state), while fundamentally liberal, actually has this undercurrent of conservatism to it. Not politically -- obviously if it were political you'd like it here -- but just kind of conservative in the most basic definition of the word. Like, in trying to be very inclusive, they openly tell Chick-Fil-A to stay out, which winds up becoming its own form of conservatism. And, to some degree, makes the city look no better than they people they're rejecting -- both parties look unprogressive for different reasons.

So, in a way, I kind of see your point, despite being a Democrat and not having as many wider gripes with Boston as you. My gripe is mainly that it's going to experience an ever-accelerating population decline and -- before they do enough to counter it -- the ship will have already sailed. And, in a way, you do touch on that with the idea that some of Boston's attitude may be a little anachronistic at this point.

Sorry you had a rough day, hope tomorrow's better.
I love Boston as a city to visit, but its liberalism has always been somewhat staged and hypocritical. The worst was during the busing crisis in the 1970s. The liberal Brahmins who favored busing made sure their kids were kept out of it, while the affected lower class people, who had it shoved down their throats by the liberal elite which exempted itself from it, greeted the buses with stones. It was not one of the city's finest hours, but it's what happens when such blatant hypocrisy prevails.

There's a certain underlying rebel streak in Boston. Let's hope they one day rebel against the suffocating and stultifying embrace of the hypocritical people who have long ruled the city.

That being said, Boston is my favorite US city. I go there as often as I can (I live in Connecticut). It's a great walking town, and for me, there's little more peaceful and stress-relieving than an all-day walk around Boston, from Copley or even Fenway up to Charlestown. Clearly that's not an option this weekend, but when the weather is nice, it's a great place to hang out. The city has so much personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 07:00 PM

49 posts, read 68,466 times
Quote:
It's ironic -- I'm a Democrat, but I think in some ways you have a point. I've been discussing with all the good people here in some other threads about my concerns with Boston's inability to stay open later. Not 24/7 like Vegas, but just a little later. And I keep kind of arriving at the idea that the city (and state), while fundamentally liberal, actually has this undercurrent of conservatism to it. Not politically -- obviously if it were political you'd like it here -- but just kind of conservative in the most basic definition of the word. Like, in trying to be very inclusive, they openly tell Chick-Fil-A to stay out, which winds up becoming its own form of conservatism. And, to some degree, makes the city look no better than they people they're rejecting -- both parties look unprogressive for different reasons.

So, in a way, I kind of see your point, despite being a Democrat and not having as many wider gripes with Boston as you. My gripe is mainly that it's going to experience an ever-accelerating population decline and -- before they do enough to counter it -- the ship will have already sailed. And, in a way, you do touch on that with the idea that some of Boston's attitude may be a little anachronistic at this point.

Sorry you had a rough day, hope tomorrow's better.

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I think Boston and the area have this problem of being conservative but want to put on a front like there is true tolerance and there is liberalism. I think some women in MA may have gay friends but you damn well know the husbands aren't usually down with it also. And if a guy doesn't look or dress normal, people have a habit of saying "hes strange" or something just because he likes a few alternate things or has long hair yet these are the same types who like to say they're tolerant. With appearance, many seem to be conservative for sure. Look no further than Market Basket if you wanna find it in hyper drive but they hire gays, blacks and all minorities but still.. STILL practice racism by keeping them the minorities and not treating them equal although many will treat them as equals to their faces.. they really don't think it though and theres much closet racism in their ranks. How many black or hispanic guys you see in red jackets? They just hire enough to not look racist. If I don't like you I let you know. I will scowl and glare if I don't like something I see but that's me and I won't even serve you or try to avoid you if I get a vibe. I have suppressed myself to be here at times but no more. I am on that plane 2 weeks from now. I want my scowl to lessen so I am doing the combination of venting and then actually leaving. Just cant take the negativity any more.

I came home to find out that CA is in no worse shape than MA in fact MA may fall first.. They are both the same in populated areas only CA roads are better and people in the Bay Area are overall I know. I'd take SF area for the warmth and cloudiness that suits my moods. I like it rainy, less snow but cold too, less sun. I was in Sacramento when I lived in CA and that was blue/purple. The integration there was annoying and so was the whole thing with celebs becoming politicians, people overall friendlier than Boston though and can make friends with locals a little easier so long as you don't get deep into the crowded hellholes where smog runs rampant and with lots of poor housing complexes like in Karate Kid. Id be moving to NorCal where its real nice.. past the capitol even this time so that ends up being like Northern New England only for the west which is what I'd want if I stayed east like NH or something.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:12 PM

37 posts, read 47,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I love Boston as a city to visit, but its liberalism has always been somewhat staged and hypocritical. The worst was during the busing crisis in the 1970s. The liberal Brahmins who favored busing made sure their kids were kept out of it, while the affected lower class people, who had it shoved down their throats by the liberal elite which exempted itself from it, greeted the buses with stones. It was not one of the city's finest hours, but it's what happens when such blatant hypocrisy prevails.
Amazingly, I didn't know about this, thank you for sharing. I know all cities have moments they'd prefer to forget, and compared to what went on in the South back then I'm sure Boston comes out looking better, but still -- that's pretty inexcusable.

Sometimes I do think Boston is a little bit "methinks thou doth protest too much" -- there's lots of preening on about diversity, yet it's a staggeringly segregated city. The South's ghosts will forever haunt it, but my experience having spent time in almost every Southern state is that when they're racist they're pretty out with it, but otherwise there's much more racial intermingling than I've ever experienced in Boston, without any of the "look at how diverse we are!!!" stuff Boston tends to pull.

I agree 100% that Boston is one of the best walking cities ever, it's like a big village, best of both worlds size-wise.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:13 PM

428 posts, read 524,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofMA View Post
I was venting. I had a rough f'n day ok pal and got through it ok considering between fighting with my dad and getting home safe from my grandmothers. I Don't need you telling me I wasted time. It was well worth the "drivel" but at least I am not as bad as Mayor Menino with saying incoherent things. According to him you'd think Hondo came out of retirement.

Not for nothing I been places before and Eastern MA and much of the state is a backwards place. Just as much if not more than some of the Southern states people who live here like to bash. Just telling of an observation I notice.....
So we get to bill this dude for our counseling services? Do I need to post my Pay Pal to get my share of money?

Old 01-03-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post

There's a certain underlying rebel streak in Boston. Let's hope they one day rebel against the suffocating and stultifying embrace of the hypocritical people who have long ruled the city.

That being said, Boston is my favorite US city. I go there as often as I can (I live in Connecticut). It's a great walking town, and for me, there's little more peaceful and stress-relieving than an all-day walk around Boston, from Copley or even Fenway up to Charlestown. Clearly that's not an option this weekend, but when the weather is nice, it's a great place to hang out. The city has so much personality.
I am all for forced integration with this demographic especially because they themselves voted for it but have the nerve to not want their kids in it. They need to be forced to live in their crap and I'd be glad to import the Africans into their neighborhoods. They make my life hell living around all different people so they need a taste of it themselves.. damn puritans. Although you know, the more I talk about these issues and experience them, the more I cant stand the whites around me also.. even some of the working class ones. This whole place just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.. period.

Whatever rebels we do have, we're in such small numbers but we need some of the irish and Italians for sure who are fed up and they have to be younger and work together with other rebels around this nation to help fix issues.

Boston could be a nice city if it wasn't so regulated and you could actually get in and park, transit was cheaper and there may be more dive bars also like the old Boston was.. live music, places to meet people and stuff. Even smaller MA cities don't have this kinda thing really and have very little to no vibrancy at night, ugly women with lousy personalities and so on.. Truthfully the closest thing I can get to all this in the area is if I take a ride to NH from Downtown Nashua to Manchester area. Imperfect places they are but are ahead of here in development now surely and have great smoke shops to just sit in, talk and have a smoke. 2 old mill cities trying to get vibrant at the very least and some of the small businesses reflect it.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I came home to find out that CA is in no worse shape than MA in fact MA may fall first..
Agreed. I think CA's problems are often overstated simply because it's classified as one state. If you bundled most of the states along the Eastern seaboard together, man, you'd have just as many problems if not significantly more than CA. CA's ability to retain its population, while not great, is definitely better than MA right now -- the Bay area's on fire economically, and many can talk themselves into staying for things like you pointed out (weather, roads, etc.) I don't believe MA is retaining residents as well as CA as both states are largely being attacked by the population growth of smaller emerging cities. It's interesting that we're both basically in agreement, at least on this issue, despite wildly different political leanings -- the world needs more of this!

Old 01-03-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
So we get to bill this dude for our counseling services? Do I need to post my Pay Pal to get my share of money?
Another one who fails to debate me so has to resort to childish insults.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Amazingly, I didn't know about this, thank you for sharing. I know all cities have moments they'd prefer to forget, and compared to what went on in the South back then I'm sure Boston comes out looking better, but still -- that's pretty inexcusable.

Sometimes I do think Boston is a little bit "methinks thou doth protest too much" -- there's lots of preening on about diversity, yet it's a staggeringly segregated city. The South's ghosts will forever haunt it, but my experience having spent time in almost every Southern state is that when they're racist they're pretty out with it, but otherwise there's much more racial intermingling than I've ever experienced in Boston, without any of the "look at how diverse we are!!!" stuff Boston tends to pull.

I agree 100% that Boston is one of the best walking cities ever, it's like a big village, best of both worlds size-wise.
Yes it is inexcusable.. you might as well be more open with your beliefs is what the Boston experiment teaches us. Boston failed socially. Could have been a good place with good people, but that dream is fading. Like Mike McColgan says.. Its a Faded American Dream. On TV they do a good job making it look quaint and nice but man oh man if they saw it all right? George of the center is supposed to be a movie soon too I think about the town selectman who tried fighting for his town.. It would be presented quaint and nice but if they only lived here.. the lowlifes here are just too much but the Brahmins aren't the answer either but what I find is sad is the snobbiness Boston area people have in the lower to middle classes. That's what mind blowing. You might as well sip lattes and smoke fine cigars after all and try to fit with that crowd which I do put myself around at times and while its not perfect and great to always do that ($$), I find it more effective than trying to blend with the lower to middle classes and go to your average townie bars.

With all the racism the south is supposed to have, youd be amazed how much people do talk there its true, theres enough segregation for comfort but theres not as much tension that go with it either like its peaceful so long as you don't go to the wrong hood and start problems. You feel tension in Boston area even if people aren't open about it.

My dad for instance as egalitarian as he wants to seem and points out how I shouldn't be bigoted when I told him I am not a n""r when he was speaking rude to me and how hes had black friends growing up in a near black neighborhood (W Medford) and even tried in a modern sense to say "he has black friends".. then I say well, why aren't any of them over the house then? Why don't you have them over? All the friends I see him have over are white, some are nice, a few are outspoken and racists themselves.. I know this for a fact.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
And if a guy doesn't look or dress normal, people have a habit of saying "hes strange" or something just because he likes a few alternate things or has long hair yet these are the same types who like to say they're tolerant. With appearance, many seem to be conservative for sure.
This is so, so true. There's another thread on here where someone posted photos they'd cherry-picked of how diverse Boston is and -- ignoring the fact that the mix of shoppers in almost any Walmart in many smallish towns in South Carolina is more diverse than any of the photos they posted -- what really leaped out at me was how everyone was pretty pulled together, dress-wise. No piercings, no tattoos, lots of collared shirts, very modest women.

If they're trying to prove that Boston has high standards, then they nailed it. Diversity of dress, certainly not.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
what I find is sad is the snobbiness Boston area people have in the lower to middle classes. That's what mind blowing.
I love how much hand wringing there is over trying to create "affordable housing". Their idea of affordable housing is still well above the national average. The median price of a home in MA is behind only NY, DC and Hawaii, and it's dangerously close to passing NY and DC. In a few years when the list potentially goes 1. Hawaii, 2. Massachusetts... what then? Probably mission accomplished, honestly. They're driving the "undesirables" out of the state through economic force while bloviating about inclusiveness and diversity and "helping the poor", it's hysterical really. And I agree with you, the liberalism in Nashville is more genuine and actually inclusive rather than talking endlessly about it. Chick-Fil-A and Democrats can coexist (really!)

It's been so hard for me to watch Boston, a city I do love, go the route it has. When Menino wouldn't allow a Walmart to be built but happily embraced Target is the straw that broke the camel's back for me, and I'm a registered Democrat. Memo to Menino: their track records on everything are both awful, except Target's marketing skews liberal while actually throwing a higher % of cash at Republicans than Walmart does! Shocker! Gotta keep braying to those constituents, though... I mean, Target has pseudo-designer clothes and organic potato chips, it must be more liberal than Walmart! It just must!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or