U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:10 PM

5,549 posts, read 8,218,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by table12 View Post
This is where we part ways...
Indeed. That was a bit beyond the pale.

I can't wait to get back to Boston. If the snow clears up and we don't get more, I may come for MLK Day weekend. It's my favorite retreat close to home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 10:12 PM

37 posts, read 47,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
The busing crisis was not one of Boston's finer hours, and you never hear a word about it in any of the mainstream tours.
That explains why I've never heard about it. I wasn't alive in the 70s, though I to some degree blame myself for now knowing about it -- I should read more about Boston's history. Having spent a lot of time in the South for work, I can definitely say they have far more racial skeletons in their closet than Boston, and even your description of the busing crisis -- while very sad -- pales compared to stories I've heard that took place around the same time in Southern states. What I can't get past, though, is how little the South talks about diversity and how much of it there actually is and how deeply integrated many Southern cities are now and, perhaps most ironically, compared to many Northern cities I've been in. It's always bewildered me.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I can't wait to get back to Boston.
That's exactly how I feel whenever I'm flying back from wherever I have to travel for work. It's always so great to see new places, but Boston is special in a way that feels non-replicable. My criticisms come from love, and I just want it to be the best it can be.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:23 PM

49 posts, read 68,617 times
Quote:
This is where we part ways...
Its a touchy subject with many I get it. I think small demographics of different people can get along but to expect the population on the whole to? HA.. that person is on crack!

Old 01-03-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
That explains why I've never heard about it. I wasn't alive in the 70s, though I to some degree blame myself for now knowing about it -- I should read more about Boston's history. Having spent a lot of time in the South for work, I can definitely say they have far more racial skeletons in their closet than Boston, and even your description of the busing crisis -- while very sad -- pales compared to stories I've heard that took place around the same time in Southern states. What I can't get past, though, is how little the South talks about diversity and how much of it there actually is and how deeply integrated many Southern cities are now and, perhaps most ironically, compared to many Northern cities I've been in. It's always bewildered me.
Now see.. in the North like here, its a burden to have all these different people and different cultures as unfriendly as they are with one another.. judging by how it is here, all this diversity cannot get along and much tension with even nonwhite cultures and ethnicities like Haitians and Jamaicans. I cant stand most of the mofos and that's even judging by how many interact in places like here but people still put the token black in the group so long as they act white or do as they want them to do.. to me that's a form of racism.

Now in the South a place that doesn't promote diversity and a place where there actually is some is more impressive to me. It shows that it could bring in the best of people with the laid back attitude toward life despite backgrounds so the tension just isn't felt. Its like they say.. when in Rome... Now I cant see myself racially mixing in the South still but in the right circumstances I could probably have a convo with more blacks anyhow.. Theres spots down there they compare to Brazil you know, especially when it comes to attractive women.. were you aware of that?

Old 01-03-2014, 10:36 PM

Someone mentioned Boston and Detroit being compared if Boston rock bottoms.. I say it could come close honestly but only by that time, Native Americans that are left would come back and reclaim Plymouth rock area and the USA would have to be a failed land by then and many of the whites here now would have to vanish. If we become so broke that people wont afford to send their kids to school as much, education could bottom out here too and public funding would decrease if less jobs in the private sector were to be had for the public school taxes.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:17 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,413,412 times
Quote:
I have a lifelong Bostonian friend and I was explaining Charlotte's light rail to him and he literally told me I was lying about it.
What about it? It was proposed in the 1980s, funded in 1998, and opened in 2007. And it wasn't new construction, they bought an existing line from Norfolk Southern. Literally, plop down some stations, build some crossovers/loops at the ends of the line, a maintenance facility, and buy some trains, and you're done. Hence why it only took 9 years of construction.

And it's not that many stops or riders, it carries ~16,000 people a day on a single line. The MBTA Green Line carries...~222,000, and the MBTA itself carries ~848,000 on rails a day.

The cost and complexity was virtually nil. And it's not like the T's been standing still either in the past decade, the Commuter Rail has had massive expansion, the infrastructure is finally seeing real improvements from the consequences of a half-century of neglect, etc.

Quote:
My worry is the population loss in MA's 2020 census will be a higher % than 2010, and while Boston is certainly no Detroit, I'd hate to see the city I love begin to go into a more overt form of decline. Economically the city is probably too diversified for that too happen, but it's something I'm increasingly worried about.
Well, I'll end your worry. Metro Boston is not shrinking in population, it's growing. And the rate of growth in 2010-2012 is 3x the rate of growth in 2000-2010, which means the pace of population growth is increasing. So your worry certainly has no basis in the actual data. While it's still not growing that fast (~1% a year), that's still better than Chicago or Philadelphia are doing.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Well, I'll end your worry. Metro Boston is not shrinking in population, it's growing. And the rate of growth in 2010-2012 is 3x the rate of growth in 2000-2010, which means the pace of population growth is increasing. So your worry certainly has no basis in the actual data. While it's still not growing that fast (~1% a year), that's still better than Chicago or Philadelphia are doing.
Sorry, that was phrased wrong. My worry is that it can't keep up. While, yes, I'm glad it's picking up some steam this decade, it's still a very relative concept with so many other metro areas outpacing metro Boston's:

List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The reason I brought up the example of my friend thinking I was lying about Charlotte's light rail is because he couldn't believe it exists, period. He's a lifelong Bostonian, Boston's the "hub of the universe", and Charlotte's basically a "nothing". I'm fully aware Boston's public transportation completely outstrips Charlotte's in terms of volume -- I'd never argue against that -- but my point is from a consumer angle how much volume is handled is meaningless. I'm with you that Charlotte's lightrail is kind of a "whatever" situation when you scratch below the surface, but it IS brand new and shiny. It's something of a metaphor for the threat smaller cities seem to now pose, and I do find Boston's attitude that everyone is still tripping over themselves to come to Boston a little frustrating.

I mean, yes, the MBTA is much larger than anything Charlotte has public transit-wise. But how about as a financial center? Charlotte actually wrecks Boston in that area, at least as measured in bank assets, but that's not something that's as widely acknowledged as, say, Boston's leadership in education. I mean, I know people in Boston who think Orlando's just a place everyone goes to on vacation -- they don't realize metro Orlando is half the population of metro Boston, and it hit that # in a fraction of the time metro Boston did and is still growing very quickly.

I'm not sure my worries are as misplaced as you imply. Population decline was the wrong way to frame it -- stasis relative to so much of the rest of the country (yes, Philadelphia and Chicago excluded) would probably be a better way to put it. I don't expect Boston to grow at the same rate as a Charlotte or an Orlando, but with the attitude of some in the city, you sure would think it was growing as fast as them, if not faster.

Last edited by table12; 01-04-2014 at 12:15 AM..

Old 01-04-2014, 12:07 AM

4,625 posts, read 8,554,549 times
Quote:
Indeed. That was a bit beyond the pale.

I can't wait to get back to Boston. If the snow clears up and we don't get more, I may come for MLK Day weekend. It's my favorite retreat close to home.
MLK said "I love Boston. I consider it my second home. " he lived on Mass Ave adjacent to the Mass Ave orange line station. There's a little plaque on his house.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
MLK said "I love Boston. I consider it my second home. " he lived on Mass Ave adjacent to the Mass Ave orange line station. There's a little plaque on his house.
I didn't know this -- really wonderful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or