U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:18 PM

32,898 posts, read 22,854,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
LOL so clever, but you totally missed my point. How meaningless is it to say a place isn't progressive, but still liberal, at the same time as being conservative.

I'm not blaming you, I'm just saying that these labels have lost all meaning.
It isn't meaningless at all. Boston isn't progressive. Most halfway intelligent people don't find progressive and liberal to be synonyms. It is politically liberal, but rather puritanical and stodgy socially (so conservative). These words still have meaning and it makes perfect sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 09:22 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,759,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofMA View Post
For real.. whats so progressive about...
If Boston isn't progressive, then what city in the US is? (and why?)

Old 01-07-2014, 10:54 PM

7,948 posts, read 6,878,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It isn't meaningless at all. Boston isn't progressive. Most halfway intelligent people don't find progressive and liberal to be synonyms. It is politically liberal, but rather puritanical and stodgy socially (so conservative). These words still have meaning and it makes perfect sense.
Well you apparently aren't halfway intelligent. My dictionary tells me "progressive - favoring or implementing social reform or new, liberal ideas." I mean, the word "liberal" is even in the definition. The two are absolutely connected. You're just salty and you're talking nonsense.

Come on dude. These terms are ridiculous. Most halway intelligent people don't go around labeling stuff to fit a narrative. I mean seriously, saying Boston is not progress, but liberal and conservative is akin to a horoscope or something saying "you're a careful thinker who likes to keep to themself, but also really likes to let loose and have fun when the chance arises. You can be very agreeable and calm, but there is also a tough side of you." Completely useless.

I'm not going to argue with you about words. Take offense if you must.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:51 AM

32,898 posts, read 22,854,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Well you apparently aren't halfway intelligent. My dictionary tells me "progressive - favoring or implementing social reform or new, liberal ideas." I mean, the word "liberal" is even in the definition. The two are absolutely connected. You're just salty and you're talking nonsense.

Come on dude. These terms are ridiculous. Most halway intelligent people don't go around labeling stuff to fit a narrative. I mean seriously, saying Boston is not progress, but liberal and conservative is akin to a horoscope or something saying "you're a careful thinker who likes to keep to themself, but also really likes to let loose and have fun when the chance arises. You can be very agreeable and calm, but there is also a tough side of you." Completely useless.

I'm not going to argue with you about words. Take offense if you must.

No one with political savvy considers progressive and liberal to by synonymous. If you haven't realized that, I can't help you. Most people also realize being conservative fiscally aren't the same as being conservative socially, so one can be conservative and not conservative at the same time. These aren't difficult concepts for most. But if you have to resort to a dictionary, well, best of luck.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:20 AM

4,056 posts, read 4,453,718 times
Quote:
I was venting. I had a rough f'n day ok pal and got through it ok considering between fighting with my dad and getting home safe from my grandmothers. I Don't need you telling me I wasted time. It was well worth the "drivel" but at least I am not as bad as Mayor Menino with saying incoherent things. According to him you'd think Hondo came out of retirement.

Not for nothing I been places before and Eastern MA and much of the state is a backwards place. Just as much if not more than some of the Southern states people who live here like to bash. Just telling of an observation I notice.

Also watching these people on the weather channels are like a bad acting job. They are like paid actors over exaggerating everything and Mini Me (Patrick) was in his emergency gear with people behind him.. I have a theory behind it but won't fully say what it is. Lets just say he might run for a "higher" office one day and is practicing for it then the whole USA will be under Democratic rule following the MA model. We will only have 2 choices, Hillary and Deval.. what kind of paradise that will be. I am pro 1st and 2nd amendment, pro choice and pro life depending on the demographics. Right to preserve ones heritage and so on. I can get into my whole diatribe about Planned Parenthood also but I won't right now.
a rough day, huh? Blame it on every Boston resident. That will solve everything.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:42 PM

3,947 posts, read 3,871,785 times
There are differences between social and financial issues. Social conservatives I would argue are a dying breed. Social is in more of an agreement. I don't think anyone in their right mind can argue we should turn back the clock on same sex marriage or medical marijuana laws etc. They'll probably always be someone like Pat Robertson somewhere but for the most part wallets and purse strings are what people feel the most.

Recently there's been an odd mix of tea party groups and liberals pushing to eliminate minimum criminal sentences.

Remember people can agree for things for different reasons. For example some push for charter schools to create choice to better focus on the students while others might suggest they want the unions out.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:56 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,867,690 times
Eh...I consider Boston far more progressive than the place I grew up in California.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:34 PM

49 posts, read 68,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by table12 View Post
This is so, so true. There's another thread on here where someone posted photos they'd cherry-picked of how diverse Boston is and -- ignoring the fact that the mix of shoppers in almost any Walmart in many smallish towns in South Carolina is more diverse than any of the photos they posted -- what really leaped out at me was how everyone was pretty pulled together, dress-wise. No piercings, no tattoos, lots of collared shirts, very modest women.

If they're trying to prove that Boston has high standards, then they nailed it. Diversity of dress, certainly not.
To me, its true unless you go to a real ghetto you won't find multicultural elements in MA. Just in the crappy places to live.. otherwise its mostly white but often times not a lot of eye candy either. If it was mostly white and the women were pretty, that be another story. I bet Oklahoma even has prettier women than MA does a lot of times.. like most places I go, many women here look butch and manly and sometimes it seems like they think they're 9's or 10's and many of the old women forget it, some may be nice but many are also butch and mean appearing...an old lady probably wouldn't hesitate to give you the middle finger on the roads.

So in SC people were pretty pulled together and dressed well? Is that what you meant?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:07 PM

49 posts, read 68,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
If Boston isn't progressive, then what city in the US is? (and why?)
St Petersburg FL unless you're homeless (although beats being homeless up here even socially) or a baseball fan. Revitalized downtown, came leaps and bounds from how it used to be. Surrounded by water, Good places to catch music on the cheap with less hassle to get to, Rays games are also cheap. Tampa right nearby, Many cheap places to go and some housing is too although not dirt cheap.. downtown rents are going up but never like Boston prices. Good gun laws, Getting parking spots are a cakewalk next to many places here despite the development going on.

Secondary mentions: Nashua NH, Knoxville TN, Coeur D'Elene Idaho, Dothan AL (maybe).

Old 01-15-2014, 06:15 PM

4,056 posts, read 4,453,718 times
Quote:
St Petersburg FL unless you're homeless (although beats being homeless up here even socially) or a baseball fan. Revitalized downtown, came leaps and bounds from how it used to be. Surrounded by water, Good places to catch music on the cheap with less hassle to get to, Rays games are also cheap. Tampa right nearby, Many cheap places to go and some housing is too although not dirt cheap.. downtown rents are going up but never like Boston prices. Good gun laws, Getting parking spots are a cakewalk next to many places here despite the development going on.

Secondary mentions: Nashua NH, Knoxville TN, Coeur D'Elene Idaho, Dothan AL (maybe).
As Cliff Clavin said, if you don't like it just GO! I left MA for TX in 2006 and while there are certain things about MA that I miss, I have not regretted it. I love both states equally for what they are, and would not change anything about my life. I was able to find a job quickly, move up the corporate ladder, own a home outright by age 33 (from when my home in MA sold), and I am sitting here looking at the sun set from the cloudless sky of a beautiful 75 degree January day. What I think would be better for you is to start planning your move if you hate it so much. Get your finances in order, pick a city, start looking for a job. That would be so much healthier and more productive than spending your time on the internet, wasting time and energy on negativity. Life is too short!

P.S. If Alabama is your definition of progressive, more power to you. Go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or