U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,274 times

Advertisements

Hello Everybody!! We saw a condo this morning that we liked a lot in Jamaica Plain. We are about to put an offer, but need some advice on the area. We now live in Lower Mills, we are in our 30s and expecting a baby. The condo is right off South Street, very near Forest Hills Station. The street is called Saint Rose. My main concerns are what it seems to be a "project" on that section of South Street and the station. The station is a plus, just concerned how bad does it really get? We have lived in Philly and NYC before... so we are used to cities. It is the baby thing that is making us think everything so much more... Also, we have a car. So won't be using the station late or anything...

Also, the apartment is in a 3 decker house. In the first floor. What are the break ins risks??

Thanks so much!! All our savings going to this, so we appreciate your help very much!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 01:20 AM

4,842 posts, read 12,506,072 times
A friend of mine apartment-shared for a year on the first block of St Rose, right after it starts to climb the hill. The guys had zero crime issues. (Bear in mind that these were fellas in their 20's prone to often getting back home late at night, not infrequently on foot while intoxicated.) Belying "project" stereotypes, the cluster of drab brick buildings across the way was almost shockingly quiet - no knots of aimless people hanging around doorways, no "boom boom cars" roaring around with music blasting, none of that. So the third-floor porch during good weather was a great place to chill while taking in the view which went a great deal farther.

My main concerns about that neighborhood involve the schools served by it, and convenience to shopping. At least for now you'd have a Harvest Co-op grocery store close at hand. But since another one has opened just south of Forest Hills my money is on the South St location's not staying in operation. The Boston Public Schools, with the renowned Boston Latin and two other good "exam schools" for the secondary grades but mostly atrocious offerings until then, are a separate subject that's been gone over a great deal. So, although I think St Rose Street is a good location - much better than it looks - if you're dead set on staying in the city your money would go farther in Roslindale or West Roxbury.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:00 AM

145 posts, read 245,859 times
I lived across the street from Saint Rose on South Street for several years. Saint Rose is a safe street, and in my opinion, the neighborhood is great. I lived with two female housemates. All of us would walk back and forth from our apartment to the Forest Hills subway stop at night. None of us ever had a problem.

That being said, there is one little tough spot in the neighborhood, which seems pretty well contained. I've walked down South Street past the Projects (which is the opposite direction of the subway), many times without any hint of trouble ever. I cannot comment on what life is like within the Projects, but as long as you stay on South Street at night, I suspect you'll have no trouble. In the daytime, I suspect anywhere is fine in that neighborhood. In general, it's friendly, safe, and a pleasant place to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchitta View Post
Hello Everybody!! We saw a condo this morning that we liked a lot in Jamaica Plain. We are about to put an offer, but need some advice on the area. We now live in Lower Mills, we are in our 30s and expecting a baby. The condo is right off South Street, very near Forest Hills Station. The street is called Saint Rose. My main concerns are what it seems to be a "project" on that section of South Street and the station. The station is a plus, just concerned how bad does it really get? We have lived in Philly and NYC before... so we are used to cities. It is the baby thing that is making us think everything so much more... Also, we have a car. So won't be using the station late or anything...

Also, the apartment is in a 3 decker house. In the first floor. What are the break ins risks??

Thanks so much!! All our savings going to this, so we appreciate your help very much!!!!

Old 01-22-2014, 05:05 PM

1,957 posts, read 3,985,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchitta View Post

I grew up on Jamaica st which st rose runs off of. That is infact projects. That area is safe enough but I wouldn't want to live their with a car and a kid on the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston