Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:32 PM

316 posts, read 721,503 times

Advertisements

I agree on Malden as well, though the OP seems resistant to places farther afield. That said, have you been down Broadway in East Somerville in the last year or so? Change seems to be accelerating more briskly now, due I suspect to the Assembly Square development. There are a few new eateries and renovated buildings. The side streets are also getting spruced up, and condo conversion is beginning to happen more often. I'm not sure how much of that last bit is truly "progress", but I do think that some of the crime issues that used to creep into life in the neighborhood have seen a dramatic drop-off, at least according to a friend who lives there who is pretty savvy and active in the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 11:09 PM

41 posts, read 71,962 times
I keep reading about how Dorchester is the next JP. On the red line, close to Southie for restaurants/bars, parking is available. Checks all of your boxes.

Last edited by shrinkberry; 01-20-2014 at 11:17 PM..

Old 01-21-2014, 07:00 AM
miu

17,765 posts, read 40,097,497 times
What about West Newton? There's a commuter rail stop in that area. It's safe and there are restaurants and a movie theatre.

Newton Four Corners has the Express Bus into downtown Boston. Nearby Watertown Square is the hub to many T buses.

Last edited by miu; 01-21-2014 at 07:44 AM..

Old 01-21-2014, 12:43 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,022,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

At this point all I want is T accessibility, doable parking, and I want to be able to walk to some type of town square be it Fenway, Back Bay, Downtown, etc. Since I'll be working late nights this Spring & Summer, I want to be able to walk home because trying to find parking a 3am in most parts of Boston will just be impossible.

The problem is, you actually want quite a lot on a very low budget for this area, with a dog. I agree with the others that you should check out Somerville, JP, Dorchester, Mission Hill or possibly East Cambridge. And get used to the idea of "close to the T" including buses. As for concentration of bars and restaurants, you should definitely be thinking of "Camberville" as well as Boston. Do you have industry experience?

Old 01-22-2014, 04:44 PM

15,842 posts, read 21,376,413 times
Is $1400 for just rent or is that including everything? Keep a general budget of a $50 per month per pet fee as well - not all apartments have them, but many do and the cost varies.

Any chance at getting rid of your cars? You have a tall order on a low budget, and giving up the expense of the cars (or at least one car) and alleviating concern about parking would help open up the door. I know you want to be closer to the city, but do look at Malden. Affordable rents (my boyfriend lives in a 3 bedroom under your budget - it's a dump, but there's a Boston skyline view!), safe neighborhood, revitalizing downtown, responsive city government, and of course the T is right there and convenient for getting into Charlestown. Malden is also more pet friendly than many neighborhoods. Malden and Medford were about all I could find with roommates a few years ago that would take 3 roommates with 3 cats. A 1 bedroom that allows 2 cats and a dog is going to be tougher to find - Malden and JP are your best bets there.

I'd take a ride on the orange line before brushing it off based on a single train ride 10 years ago. It can get a bit rough on the southern side (near JP), but nothing horrible. The orange line seems nicer now than when I first started visiting a boyfriend in JP in 2007. Being worried about it now is sort of like my dad warning me to avoid the Combat Zone when I moved to Boston in 2006, or getting nervous that I was moving to Somerville in 2011. :P

Old 01-24-2014, 01:46 PM
miu

17,765 posts, read 40,097,497 times
You should really take at least one of your cars off the road. Find an out of town cheap garage or parking space to rent and turn in the plates. You will also save on not having to pay car insurance. And share the other car. If you are indeed a couple, then one car is all you need. Ideally, take both cars off the road and use Zipcar when you need it. But parking close to Boston is very difficult in terms of finding free on street parking, expensive for having a private parking space, and expensive for the higher auto insurance rates.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:43 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,681,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
At this point all I want is T accessibility, doable parking, and I want to be able to walk to some type of town square be it Fenway, Back Bay, Downtown, etc. Since I'll be working late nights this Spring & Summer, I want to be able to walk home because trying to find parking a 3am in most parts of Boston will just be impossible.
Do you really feel comfortable walking home at 3 am?

Old 01-25-2014, 09:24 AM

3,969 posts, read 5,739,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkberry View Post
I keep reading about how Dorchester is the next JP. On the red line, close to Southie for restaurants/bars, parking is available. Checks all of your boxes.

Not quite. I am a 17 year resident of Dorchester (Adams Village area) and it is not close to being as gentrified as JP. We have no Whole Foods, Trader Joes, or independently owned equivalent, there's only on Starbucks in the whole large neighborhood and it's inside the Target at South Bay Center, the selection of young professionals remains scattered, and most of the neighborhoods are still very family oriented with lots of people over the age of 40 and under the age of 20. Driving up and down Dorchester Avenue, you'll see a variety of Tedeschis, discount stores, pizza joints, and ethnic grocery stores. The same when driving up and down Dorchester's Washington Street or Blue Hill Avenue. Nothing wrong with this but it's is what I call working class, not gentrified. Yes there are pockets of gentrification here and there but few and far in between. I am not sure if the OP, who grew up in Brookline, may feel comfortable living down there. Field's Corner is no Coolidge Corner I have to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston