Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:44 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,880,657 times

Advertisements

My SO & I are looking for 1 bedrooms and he has vetoed Allston/Brighton, I have vetoed JP.

Our rental budget is $1,400-1,500 per month depending on whats included. I have a 5lb dog and we want to bring our cars with us. He takes the T to work so we need to be T accessible OR walking distance to Government Center (30 minutes or so).

I will begin working in Charlestown in October 2014 and will probably just work bar jobs over the summer so I would like to live in an area with a good bar/restaurant selection.

Where should we look?

I'm very interested in Southie, the North End, and Charlestown but so many things are out of our budget. I also like Fort Point and the Waterfront area but they seem way out of our budget. I'm interested in anything that is a 30 minute or less walk to a happening area such as downtown, gov center, etc.

Should we use craigslist or are there any other good resources?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 04:57 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,341,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
My SO & I are looking for 1 bedrooms and he has vetoed Allston/Brighton, I have vetoed JP.

Our rental budget is $1,400-1,500 per month depending on whats included. I have a 5lb dog and we want to bring our cars with us. He takes the T to work so we need to be T accessible OR walking distance to Government Center (30 minutes or so).

I will begin working in Charlestown in October 2014 and will probably just work bar jobs over the summer so I would like to live in an area with a good bar/restaurant selection.

Where should we look?

I'm very interested in Southie, the North End, and Charlestown but so many things are out of our budget. I also like Fort Point and the Waterfront area but they seem way out of our budget. I'm interested in anything that is a 30 minute or less walk to a happening area such as downtown, gov center, etc.

Should we use craigslist or are there any other good resources?

thanks!
Why have the above areas been vetoed? Seems like those are probably some of the few places that can accomodate your budget...

Old 01-20-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Why have the above areas been vetoed? Seems like those are probably some of the few places that can accomodate your budget...
Allston/Brighton: He feels like we have already "done" this area and he is sick of it. We are also older than a lot of the inhabitants in the T accessible areas (25 & 27). I would be fine living in Brighton but not in one of the rat or roach infested dens near Harvard Ave. The closer to the city the more I will like it...I think he feels the same.

JP: I really don't know JP well and it just seems very inaccessible. Last time I was on the Orange line was 10 years ago and it was so creepy. It was dirtier and dingier and the lighting was creepy. There was something very Bates Motel about the Orange Line. Maybe it has changed since then. I would like to live walking distance to MFA or say a 30 minute or less walk to Back Bay. That would make any area worth it.

I will admit I have done everything in my control to "spoil" myself. I grew up in Brookline and have always to lived somewhere smaller and more out of the way in say Newton/Watertown than somewhere kind of dark and run down but in the BU area.

At this point all I want is T accessibility, doable parking, and I want to be able to walk to some type of town square be it Fenway, Back Bay, Downtown, etc. Since I'll be working late nights this Spring & Summer, I want to be able to walk home because trying to find parking a 3am in most parts of Boston will just be impossible.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Allston/Brighton: He feels like we have already "done" this area and he is sick of it. We are also older than a lot of the inhabitants in the T accessible areas (25 & 27). I would be fine living in Brighton but not in one of the rat or roach infested dens near Harvard Ave. The closer to the city the more I will like it...I think he feels the same.

JP: I really don't know JP well and it just seems very inaccessible. Last time I was on the Orange line was 10 years ago and it was so creepy. It was dirtier and dingier and the lighting was creepy. There was something very Bates Motel about the Orange Line. Maybe it has changed since then. I would like to live walking distance to MFA or say a 30 minute or less walk to Back Bay. That would make any area worth it.

I will admit I have done everything in my control to "spoil" myself. I grew up in Brookline and have always to lived somewhere smaller and more out of the way in say Newton/Watertown than somewhere kind of dark and run down but in the BU area.

At this point all I want is T accessibility, doable parking, and I want to be able to walk to some type of town square be it Fenway, Back Bay, Downtown, etc. Since I'll be working late nights this Spring & Summer, I want to be able to walk home because trying to find parking a 3am in most parts of Boston will just be impossible.
Well, I am your age and not a student (didn't grow up in Boston or go to school here) and I live in Brighton. I don't really like it here, but for the money, it's fine. I am actually hoping to move elsewhere though and am really considering JP. Have you been there recently? I would suggest taking a trip, even on the Orange line, and see what's up.

I guess the problem is if you want to live close to stuff and within walking distance of cool things, you will probably pay much more than $1500/month for a 1 bedroom to do so.

What about Brighton Center? It's definitely less studenty than, say, Cleveland Circle, and you can take the 57 downtown (maybe not as sexy as a subway train, but hey, it's there).

Old 01-20-2014, 08:23 PM

316 posts, read 719,511 times
You posted a similar thread not long ago, and I - and a few other folks - made some suggestions, one of which was East Somerville. Have you checked it out? Have you vetoed it? It would make a lot of sense given your situation, and you could find something relatively affordable there. Charlestown and Downtown Boston are close, there are new restaurants and pubs along Broadway, accessibility is not an issue, and Union and even possibly Inman Square are walkable depending on how far into the neighborhood you go.

I lived in South Boston for many years. It's a nice area, but it has become very transient and is, in my opinion, overpriced for what you get space-wise. This was not always the case. Parking there is nightmarish; Charlestown isn't any better, and the North End is decidedly worse. East Somerville isn't quite as jam-packed and hasn't been "discovered" to the same extent that these areas have (though it is starting to catch up), so parking would likely be more feasible there.

Craigslist is one way to deal with this; word-of-mouth and persistence in approaching realtors to whom you explain your exact parameters can help, but honestly, in this rental market, things aren't on your side. Better to buck up and move to an area where finding something in your price range is much more likely.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Well, I am your age and not a student (didn't grow up in Boston or go to school here) and I live in Brighton. I don't really like it here, but for the money, it's fine. I am actually hoping to move elsewhere though and am really considering JP. Have you been there recently? I would suggest taking a trip, even on the Orange line, and see what's up.

I guess the problem is if you want to live close to stuff and within walking distance of cool things, you will probably pay much more than $1500/month for a 1 bedroom to do so.

What about Brighton Center? It's definitely less studenty than, say, Cleveland Circle, and you can take the 57 downtown (maybe not as sexy as a subway train, but hey, it's there).
I have not been to JP recently so I guess I should check it out. I'm kind of worried that parking will be a headache but I guess that's most of Boston.

I actually really like Brighton Center but I'm not sure how reliable the buses will be for my SO's commute. It does seem worth looking into.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professeurpablo View Post
You posted a similar thread not long ago, and I - and a few other folks - made some suggestions, one of which was East Somerville. Have you checked it out? Have you vetoed it? It would make a lot of sense given your situation, and you could find something relatively affordable there. Charlestown and Downtown Boston are close, there are new restaurants and pubs along Broadway, accessibility is not an issue, and Union and even possibly Inman Square are walkable depending on how far into the neighborhood you go.

I lived in South Boston for many years. It's a nice area, but it has become very transient and is, in my opinion, overpriced for what you get space-wise. This was not always the case. Parking there is nightmarish; Charlestown isn't any better, and the North End is decidedly worse. East Somerville isn't quite as jam-packed and hasn't been "discovered" to the same extent that these areas have (though it is starting to catch up), so parking would likely be more feasible there.

Craigslist is one way to deal with this; word-of-mouth and persistence in approaching realtors to whom you explain your exact parameters can help, but honestly, in this rental market, things aren't on your side. Better to buck up and move to an area where finding something in your price range is much more likely.

Where is "East Somerville". I hardly even know Somerville. I used to go there as a kid with my mom and once in a while I end up there but usually as a detour when I'm in Cambridge. Is the part you are suggesting near a T stop?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:26 PM

316 posts, read 719,511 times
Yes. East Somerville is generally regarded as the part of the city bounded by Route 28 on the west, Route 93 on the north, the Charlestown (Boston) line on the east and Washington St on the south. It is served by the Sullivan Square MBTA stop on the orange line as well as many buses running to Central Square, Harvard Square, Cleveland Circle, Davis Square, Arlington, Medford, Malden, Everett and of course Boston via the #92 and #93. You'd be no more than 10 minutes from Downtown by train, but you'd also be able to get many other places, including the new development at Assembly Square, which is coming along nicely. Commuting to both Charlestown and Government Center would be simple. Check it out! It's not the most happening spot, but it's up-and-coming, accessible and in your price range.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:28 PM

Thanks for bringing up East Somerville! I will have to look at the area when I'm thinking about moving. Seems like a place I might like.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:25 PM

4,883 posts, read 13,766,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professeurpablo View Post
Yes. East Somerville is generally regarded as the part of the city bounded by Route 28 on the west, Route 93 on the north, the Charlestown (Boston) line on the east and Washington St on the south. It is served by the Sullivan Square MBTA stop on the orange line as well as many buses running to Central Square, Harvard Square, Cleveland Circle, Davis Square, Arlington, Medford, Malden, Everett and of course Boston via the #92 and #93. You'd be no more than 10 minutes from Downtown by train, but you'd also be able to get many other places, including the new development at Assembly Square, which is coming along nicely. Commuting to both Charlestown and Government Center would be simple. Check it out! It's not the most happening spot, but it's up-and-coming, accessible and in your price range.
One small addition to East Somerville T info: The CT-2 ("CT" = crosstown) express bus originates at Sullivan, stops at McGrath Highway and Union Square because they're transfer points, and loops around to Ruggles by way of Kendall/MIT, BU, and the Longwood medical area. Having this very popular route added means a lot more places are that much more easily reached. The only drawback is that it doesn't run after about 7 PM on weeknights and doesn't operate on weekends.

In contrast to Davis Square across town, Union Square and points eastward are transitioning much more slowly. That area had gone into decline after the destruction wrought by I-93 being built, and long-term residents' "buying up" to the suburbs or fleeing demographic shifts. Many stores along Broadway (in particular between McGrath and Sullivan Square) reflect this with their emphasis on "ethnic" foods and selling of international phone cards. In recent years not much is reported about the gang activity which had started to invade the area - hopefully this means it's been curtailed.

For a more stable yet convenient and relatively affordable place I often suggest Malden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston