Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 09:10 AM

4,624 posts, read 4,892,936 times

Advertisements

There is quite a bit. Hiking, minor skiing, beaches, camping. Wompatuck State Park is in Hingham, just outside of the end of the Red Line.

IMHO, better hiking, skiing, and camping is a couple hours North in Vermont and New Hampshire. You could get to the heart of the White Mountains in under 3 hours from the south shore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 10:24 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Sorry..."Frorida"....

Old 02-06-2014, 10:29 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by night4mia View Post
As for me -well I don't have much choice but start my business again (done it a few times already because of moving). I'll do a couple of Bridal show-I'll be fine).
Be aware that you are in competition with many established photographers in this area, especially children, portrait and wedding.

Boston University had a school in Waltham CDIA (now unaffiliated) and they were being pumped out right and left.

You will also be competing with people with degrees from MassArt and RISD, so you will need to be very persistent in establishing networks.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:41 AM

316 posts, read 723,900 times
Realized that I forgot Charlestown in my post before. Charlestown was actually established as a town before Boston, so it has an older feel. It's largely quaint and very pricey. Access to Boston is primarily by bus unless you live near Community College Station or Sullivan Square; for the latter, the only pedestrian-friendly access is from the streets in the northwestern extreme of Charlestown before you cross into Somerville (Brighton St, Parker St, etc...) There are a few sketchy spots near the Mishawum development and down the end of Bunker Hill St closer to the bridge.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:32 AM

17 posts, read 27,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Be aware that you are in competition with many established photographers in this area, especially children, portrait and wedding.

Boston University had a school in Waltham CDIA (now unaffiliated) and they were being pumped out right and left.

You will also be competing with people with degrees from MassArt and RISD, so you will need to be very persistent in establishing networks.
I already looked at some wedding photographers sites. Some of them are very very impressive some not so much. I think I will fit well. On the other had it is always hard to move your business to the area -you don't know. I have do it before a few times. Also I am very happy that there are a lot of photographers in Boston.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professeurpablo View Post
Realized that I forgot Charlestown in my post before. Charlestown was actually established as a town before Boston, so it has an older feel. It's largely quaint and very pricey. Access to Boston is primarily by bus unless you live near Community College Station or Sullivan Square; for the latter, the only pedestrian-friendly access is from the streets in the northwestern extreme of Charlestown before you cross into Somerville (Brighton St, Parker St, etc...) There are a few sketchy spots near the Mishawum development and down the end of Bunker Hill St closer to the bridge.
Thank you so much. That is info I was looking for.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Professor, glad to see you prolific as usual and that you aren't one of the people in Everett with power out.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much. That is info I was looking for.

I have some more questions:
How much money one need to earn to live in Boston/Boston area decently? Just wondering.

Is it really important to like sports in Boston? Will people hate me if I will say that I didn't watch the game?

What Bostonians like better: tea or coffee?

Last edited by night4mia; 02-06-2014 at 11:56 AM..

Old 02-06-2014, 11:59 AM

316 posts, read 723,900 times
Thanks 495! I appreciate the concern! I got the call from the city and was a bit confused as my power never did go out.

I know I'm a bit wordy, but I've lived here my whole life except for college, and since I'm a bit of a local history nerd, a transit enthusiast and a lover of food, I know lots of places

To the OP: there are many, many sports fans here with varying levels of commitment, but there are plenty of folks with other interests too. It's helpful to pay attention to a few things so you can participate in occasional small talk about the Red Sox and how they're doing, etc, but it's certainly not a requirement.

As for the coffee/tea thing, I've never really thought about that. Dunkin' Donuts got its start in this area and is ubiquitous; we also have plenty of Starbucks and local coffee places, most of which also have a good selection of teas (1369's two Cambridge locations, Diesel in Davis Sq Somerville, many others come to mind...)

The income question is a bit subjective and depends on your lifestyle and how much you're spending on housing, paying off any debts, etc.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:12 PM

The South End, Adams area of Milton/Quincy and Quincy is where I see the worst off of the homeless people. There are many rehab facilities in those areas, so you will see more people sitting out on benches with mental health issues there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston