Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:18 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,398,016 times

Advertisements

The Bobby Orr Statue outside the Boston Garden ....on the West Entrance....

the Cardboard Cutout of Norm --from Cheers at the Quincy Market Cheers bar. and restaurant =)

The Christopher Columbus statue @Columbus park

Ted Williams Statue @ fenway with the little boy.

The Bill Russell statue...where is the Bill Russel statue?

Isn't there a Bob Cousey statue as well?

The Harry Agganis Statue outside Agganis Arena @ Boston University

The Nathaniel Hawthorne Statue in Salem

The Roger Conant Statue in Salem by the Salem Common and the Witch Museum

the Battle Green Lexington Minuteman Statue on Lexington's Battle Green

The Workman Statue at Fanieul Hall

The Irish Famine memorial statue

The George Washington Statue at Public Gardens

The Make Way for ducklings statue @ public garden

The Statue outside the Prudential Center...of the flying angel ..

The Frog and Toad Statue @ the Frog Pond

Red Aerubach carving @ TD Garden inside North Station.

The Decordova Museum and Sculpture park in Lincoln Mass. worth a day trip

The Mt Auburn Cemetery gravesites, and some of the unique sculptures scattered around the grounds.. ..also the lookout tower @ MT Auburn Cemetery. Great place to walk and check out some of the famous people buried there.

Ether Monument/Good Samaritan

In the Boston Public Garden stands one of Boston's most offbeat monuments: The Ether/Good Samaritan Monument.

You read that right: This 1867 monument is dedicated to the invention of ether, one of the first anesthetics. Ether made it easier for doctors to perform complex surgeries and for patients to endure those procedures. On the top of the monument to symbolize the relief that ether brought to medical procedures, a Good Samaritan is shown helping an ailing stranger.

CY YOUNG - NORTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY

Cy Young

The namesake of the annual award that goes to baseball's best pitcher can be found memorialized on the campus of Northeastern, outside the campus's Cabot Center.

The statue is said to be located at the site of the field where Young, baseball's winningest pitcher, led Boston to its first World Series victory in 1903

Northeastern UNiv was one of the first sites of the first baseball field.

Leif Ericson

Famous Norse explorer Leif Ericson stands on lookout over the Commonwealth Avenue mall.

Some historians believe Ericson was the first European to land in America, besting Christopher Columbus by more than 500 years.

Doug Flutie

The Boston College campus houses a 6-foot statue that pays homage to the quarterback whose "Hail Mary" touchdown pass in 1984 earned him a key spot in college football history.

Flutie's statue stands outside of the college's Alumni Stadium, where the Eagles play.
\Harold Connolly

Olympic gold-medal winner Connolly has both his sport (the hammer) and his legacy immortalized in his hometown of Brighton.

The statue is located in front of what was formerly Taft Elementary School, which Connolly attended, and is meant to represent perseverance over the odds.

Domingo F. Sarmiento, former President of Argentina

A president of Argentina in the late 19th century, Domingo F. Sarmiento brought the ideas of education reformer and Massachusetts politician Horace Mann to his country.

The 1973 statue, located on the Commonwealth Avenue green between Gloucester and Hereford streets, is a thank you gift from Argentina for the impact Mann had on its leader.

Step on Board/Harriet Tubman Memorial

This 1999 statue was the first one on city-owned property to memorialize a woman.

The memorial's sculptor Fern Cunningham is shown with the statue at its unveiling in Harriet Tubman Square in the South End.
A Dragon for Dorchester

This eight-foot-long dragon sculpture on Nonquit Green in Dorchester is one of the most recent additions to Boston's public art scene.

The dragon is named "FukuRiu," which means "lucky dragon" in Japanese. The sculpture was done by the same artist, Nancy Schön, who created the iconic Make Way for Ducklings statue in the Boston Public Garden.
James Brendan Connolly

The son of Irish immigrants, Connolly is best known for being the first medal winner at the new Olympic Games in 1896 in Athens. Connolly won first place (the equivalent of today's gold medal) in a competition called "the hop, skip, and jump," which is similar to today's triple jump.

Boston City Councilor Bill Linehan stood besides the statue of James Brendan Connolly at Joe Moakley Park In South Boston, 2004.

Bobby Orr

Another more recent addition to the Boston statue scene pays tribute to Bruins legend Bobby Orr. The figure depicts Orr flying through the air after scoring the winning goal in the 1970 Stanley Cup.

Orr spoke at the unveiling of the statue in May 2010 outside the TD Banknorth Garden

Mary Dyer

The State House boasts a number of well-known and not-as-well-known statues on its grounds. While many tourists have seen General Hooker, some may have missed Dyer.

Dyer was a Quaker who was hanged for her beliefs outside State House in the 17th century.

Boston Women's Memorial

This memorial, which was unveiled in 2004 on the Commonwealth Avenue Mall between Fairfield and Gloucester streets, commemorates three unique women: Abigail Adams, wife of former US President John Adams and mother of former US President John Quincy Adams; Phyllis Wheatley, a black poet; and Lucy Stone, an abolitionist and suffragist

Dorchester Voices

It's hard to take a bite out of this fruit located in Edwards Square, but the story behind this statue is sweet.

This pear is modeled after the Clapp pear, a variety of the fruit that was developed at the Clapp family farm during the 19th century just a few blocks away.

Joseph Warren

Bunker Hill hero Joseph Warren guards the courtyard entrance of the Roxbury Latin School in West Roxbury.
The statue was originally located in Roxbury, but it was moved during urban renewal and never returned, as promised.

John F. Kennedy

The former president is just one of the statues on the grounds of the State House.

Arthur Fiedler Memorial

This 1984 statue of the man who put the Boston Pops on the national music map is located nearby the Hatch Shell on the Esplanade.

Fiedler started as a musician in the Boston Symphony Orchestra then later became conductor of the Pops. To make music more accessible to the community, he had the Pops give summer concerts, which often drew up to 400,000 spectators

Christopher Columbus

Columbus's statue is located in his namesake, Columbus Park, by the Boston waterfront. The location is also close to the North End, a nod to Columbus's Italian heritage.

The statue was made out of a porous Italian marble, which has made it susceptible to vandals, as shown in this photo
Samuel Eliot Morison

Harvard professor Samuel Eliot Morison may be Boston's most casual statue. Shown in a ball cap and wind breaker, Morison's memorialized appearance may throw off a passerby unaware that the man himself was a leading naval historian who once sailed many of the routes Christopher Columbus had taken on his journeys around the world. The Morison statue is located on the Commonwealth Avenue Mall near Exeter Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 12:23 PM

2,439 posts, read 4,800,920 times
Come on, Dreamworks-- The question was, what are your favorites, not how many statues can you think of You have dug up some good ones, though

By the way, the Christopher Columbus statue in waterfront park is a disgrace when you realize it represents Italy, the home of Michaelangelo. This Columbus looks machine made, with about as much artistry as your average backyard shrine to the Virgin, like something gotten at a garden supply store. The Irish Famine memorial gets a lot of bad press for being maudlin--what do you like about that? What about the 54th Regiment Memorial--isn't that Boston's greatest piece of pubic art?

Old 03-20-2014, 05:17 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,973,771 times
I like most of the ones mentioned here, but I'll mention my least favorite -- by a long shot -- is that gawdawful "Lincoln freeing the Slave" statue in Park Square (a.k.a. "Would you shine my boots while you're down there, boy?").

Old 01-15-2023, 10:12 AM

7,974 posts, read 10,543,325 times
The new one they just unveiled up there to honor Martin Luther King - stunning. Simply stunning.

Old 01-15-2023, 12:01 PM

4,967 posts, read 2,548,745 times
Stunning? Looks ridiculous to me and a terrible way to honor such a giant.

Old 01-15-2023, 06:54 PM

795 posts, read 523,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Stunning? Looks ridiculous to me and a terrible way to honor such a giant.
And it cost 10 million dollars.
I suspect many people should go to jail.

Old 01-15-2023, 07:16 PM

1,892 posts, read 1,377,544 times
It’s embarrassing

Old 01-16-2023, 07:52 AM

87 posts, read 44,018 times
So what do you all think about the magnificent new statue honoring Dr King? Personally as wonderful as it is, I'm not sure it matches the aesthetic of Boston Common's colonial style. My suggestion is they move it to City Hall Plaza, where I think it better matches the magnificent modern art style. Plus I think Mayor Wu should be able to look at it everyday and be proud of what she has brought to this city. ,

Old 01-16-2023, 07:27 PM

337 posts, read 264,905 times
I don't think the MLK one is so bad! Yeah it looks kind of awkward at certain angles, but I think people are being a bit dramatic about it. It could be so much worse.

As for my favorites, OP I think you listed some great ones in the first post! Particularly the angel statue in the Public Garden.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:57 AM

6,282 posts, read 2,825,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastDallasDude View Post
So what do you all think about the magnificent new statue honoring Dr King? Personally as wonderful as it is, I'm not sure it matches the aesthetic of Boston Common's colonial style. My suggestion is they move it to City Hall Plaza, where I think it better matches the magnificent modern art style. Plus I think Mayor Wu should be able to look at it everyday and be proud of what she has brought to this city. ,
It looks hideous. I have only seen pictures so far. Next time I'm in town I may check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston