Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 06:26 PM

145 posts, read 282,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's pathetic that we have devolved to the point where this conversation is even necessary.

We need a society where these degenerates have to fear for their lives!

This incident has convinced me to have my cell phone camera ready for any creep or suspected creep in the subway. I wish there were a website that I (and others) could load pictures onto in case a "victim" doesn't manage to take a picture.

It's a good thing the subway has cameras. I hope they all record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 06:28 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightLights9 View Post
This has happened to me before, I was being followed home from a bar, so I walked into a convenience store with a cop car idling out front. I was lucky that there happened to be a cop car there, but even without it I would have gone into that store or any other open business.

A good tip for ladies is to keep earbuds in on the T but don't listen to anything. I do this all the time, you can still hear what's going on around you. Weirdos are more likely to target the low-hanging fruit.
Understand the theory, but not always a great idea, especially at less crowded night hours. Then criminals know you have probably a smart phone on you and think you're listening to music and therefore are more likely to mug you.

Just be alert at all times, don't be afraid of being assertive, stand up for yourself, and don't worry about "inconveniencing" the police about people following you or making you uncomfortable in other ways. It's their job to protect you. This stuff really needs to be reported every time, or it's going to keep happening.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:22 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
On a late night train or bus, it's better to mingle with other riders, rather than spread out. If there are several stops to ride with a creep, keep an eye out for stops in-between with more people and switch cars quickly to join them. Creeps don't like witnesses.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
On a late night train or bus, it's better to mingle with other riders, rather than spread out. If there are several stops to ride with a creep, keep an eye out for stops in-between with more people and switch cars quickly to join them. Creeps don't like witnesses.
Great idea! Actually, one of those T employees who use flashlights to signal trains yelled at me for switching cars a while back. I guess it's against the rules now. I still think this is a good idea. At least if she gets yelled at, she could say why she's running. She better be sure not to miss the train doing that though, especially under those circumstances!

Then again, in the unlikely chance that he's a super scary Tarantino/Hitchcock style creep and already knew where she lived somehow (again very unlikely), loosing sight of him could put her at a disadvantage (psychological at least). At least when he's in the same car, she know's he's not anywhere else. So as creepy as following her off the train was, at least she knew they were at the Park Street Station (or figuratively speaking the "starting line") at the same time, and she could likely beat him to her place.

I think this put her at a psychological advantage. Anyone who's been stalked or played assassins (of course VERY different scenarios) MIGHT know what it's like to feel like the one person after you could be ANYWHERE. Knowing she left him at Park Street and that she's fast, I think, gave her piece of mind. The psychological aspect of a situation like this, or feeling safe, is underrated IMO.

This situation's so much more complicated than it seems. If only 911 was faster and emergency call boxes were faster and monitored by camera. IMO, police should guarantee people in this situation a ride home too or wait with them for a taxi, so they're not left alone again once the police leave.

Last edited by Gauss44; 04-07-2014 at 09:16 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 08:49 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Well instead of calling 911, what if she looks up the closest police station to Harvard Square (Central Square?) and also get the phone number of the T police. Then she can dial one of them directly while she is on the train and have them keep an eye out for her and the creep at the Harvard Square stop.

I'm sure that the either police group would rather be pro-active about the situation. And if nothing happens, that's even better.

But your friend should never feel that she might be doing something wrong as she tries to get away from a potentially dangerous situation. No apologies are ever needed for that.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:23 AM

54 posts, read 96,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss44 View Post
Is the "See Something Say Something" only for terrorism or for reporting perverts as well?
It is not just for terrorism. If you click the link I provided, it tells you and shows you what many uses it has.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantotto View Post
It is not just for terrorism. If you click the link I provided, it tells you and shows you what many uses it has.
Looks like a good app. I'm going to try it out on my iPod.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:22 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss44 View Post
<>He followed her off the train and pressed his body against her as she waited for the train's doors to open.<>
That is sexual assault right there.
I kind of like the walk up front, call the Tcops, get a taxi home approach.
Otherwise somebody is going to end up on the am NEWS.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:13 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
That is sexual assault right there.
I kind of like the walk up front, call the Tcops, get a taxi home approach.
Otherwise somebody is going to end up on the am NEWS.
Quite.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:14 AM

596 posts, read 818,446 times
Can you say zombie thread? It's four years old...Sometimes I hate the C-D search suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston