Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 01:49 PM

133 posts, read 261,497 times

Advertisements

missionhill,

I was there after Eitan Patz. Very sad. I do recall the restaurant. Exactly with respect to D&D. For a while they kept both places open.

Theater quality in Boston is a lot better than it was. But, pandas&presents, I went to the theater in Boston a couple of weeks ago in jeans and a blazer. Years ago, the American Repertory Theater was consistently bad. Now it and the Huntington both have good productions (and not so good ones).

The place where Boston wins in music is folk music. This is still a pretty strong area for that. Plus having Berkeley helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 06:35 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackshaw View Post
Theater quality in Boston is a lot better than it was. But, pandas&presents, I went to the theater in Boston a couple of weeks ago in jeans and a blazer. Years ago, the American Repertory Theater was consistently bad. Now it and the Huntington both have good productions (and not so good ones).

The place where Boston wins in music is folk music. This is still a pretty strong area for that. Plus having Berkeley helps.
*Berklee*

(I think..)

Old 05-13-2014, 04:07 PM

65 posts, read 179,216 times
Okay, so I am just back from another weekend in Boston. This weekend, we took Dorchester Ave south through Dorchester. At least the areas just off Dorchester Ave seemed kind of rough. There was an interesting building on the edge of Dorchester bordering Milton. I think it was an old chocolate factory. Out of my price range though and not worth $1600/mo. There was another building just across the street from a T station that seemed nice but thinking it was a condo
We also went through Roxbury. Can't remember which street we took but we chose one that bisected it. Seemed kind of rough although I didn't have a good look at West Roxbury. There were a few buildings that I would consider but when I Googed them, I found that they are low income only.
Cambridge would be great but I'm not rich so I can't afford 2K/mo for an apartment. Many of the buildings I liked turned out to be public housing.
Framingham's town center is way rougher than I expected. The only thing I had ever heard about Framingham prior to visiting is re: the famous nurses study so I was expecting a middle class town. I don't think that I would want to take the train from Framingham on a daily basis. The station seems isolated and the area is blighted. There were some buildings close to the reservoirs and Mass Pike that I would have been interested in but the apartment.com reviews indicate they have bedbugs.
There was a building in Natick that seemed nice but are there any minorities in Natick? We didn't see any.
The only building we found in Newton was a new construction just across from a T station. They wanted way too much re: rent.
There is possibly a building in Jamaica Plain that I may be interested in and possibly one in Back Bay. Having a car seems to be a problem in both neighborhoods, however. The buildings do not offer parking. Re: Back Bay - the local garages charge $450/mo.
Re: Framingham & Natick. The train schedules are a serious problem for me. I will start work at 8 AM. The train that would get me to work on time is scheduled to pull into South Station 45 mins earlier and my job is only a block from South Station. I am wondering if driving to a T station closer to Boston is an option (especially one that could give me more sleep time)?

Old 05-13-2014, 05:05 PM

728 posts, read 974,590 times
Default First Hand Experience is the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandas&presents View Post
Okay, so I am just back from another weekend in Boston. This weekend, we took Dorchester Ave south through Dorchester.
Dot Ave. isn't the only main throughfare in Dorchester. You should check out the neighborhood around Gallivan Blvd. and Morrisey Blvd. Overall though, Dorchester is an urban city neighborhood through and through.
Quote:
There was another building just across the street from a T station that seemed nice but thinking it was a condo
That'd be 'The Carruth' building. It is a condo building but they do have spaces set apart for affordable housing.

Quote:
We also went through Roxbury. Can't remember which street we took but we chose one that bisected it. Seemed kind of rough although I didn't have a good look at West Roxbury. There were a few buildings that I would consider but when I Googed them, I found that they are low income only.
Roxbury and West Roxbury are very different sections of the city. Roxbury is perhaps the most urban and in certain sections 'blighted' part of Eastern Massachusetts. West Roxbury is more parochial and suburban.

Quote:
Framingham's town center is way rougher than I expected. The only thing I had ever heard about Framingham prior to visiting is re: the famous nurses study so I was expecting a middle class town. I don't think that I would want to take the train from Framingham on a daily basis.
Framingham may not be the most aesthetically pleasing town but it is firmly middle class. It does have a larger than typical immigrant population for MA. But you shouldn't be too worried, it is further removed from the city though.

Quote:
There was a building in Natick that seemed nice but are there any minorities in Natick? We didn't see any.
There is a small Brazilian presence but that's about it. MetroWest doesn't have much of a minority presence outside of Framingham. That being said, living in Natick should be just fine. Although it doesn't have a large minority presence it is a very friendly and open town.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:43 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Well, sheesh, if you want aesthetics you have to pay for it or go further out... pretty simple.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, sheesh, if you want aesthetics you have to pay for it or go further out... pretty simple.
Nah. Aesthetics are nice but not everything. It does have to be safe though. Again, I am a single woman living alone. This is also why I have a preference for large, managed buildings.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:32 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
Quote:
Nah. Aesthetics are nice but not everything. It does have to be safe though. Again, I am a single woman living alone. This is also why I have a preference for large, managed buildings.
I think you will be better off in two or three small family rental. Often landlords will live below or above and will make sure things are good/safe/taken care off.

I understand that coming from NYC big professionally managed apartment buildings are something that you are most comfortable with, but private rentals in Boston area are often better deal with free parking and in safe and more upscale areas of Boston.

You should do some research and see if it makes any sense for you. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:53 PM

Default Average utility bills re: Quincy?

Hello all,
I have chosen an apartment in Quincy. I have to pay utilities - electricity and water. There is a hot water heater in the apartment. Can anyone share what their average utility bills in Quincy are like?
My apartment will be 500 sq ft. I do love taking long showers (30 mins every AM) and a/c. There is also a dishwasher in the unit.

I'd also like to say that everyone here has been so helpful and you have made this move so much easier than previous long distance moves. Thank you so much! If I could hug everyone, I would!

Old 05-26-2014, 04:14 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,410 times
Congrats!

Is it electric heat or is heat included in the rent?

Old 05-26-2014, 03:23 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,063,706 times
Quote:
Okay, so I am just back from another weekend in Boston. This weekend, we took Dorchester Ave south through Dorchester. At least the areas just off Dorchester Ave seemed kind of rough.
Those "rough" areas were probably streets of triple-deckers,which make up a big chunk of Boston's housing stock. Depending on location, it could be worth well over a million for the whole building (Davis Square, Southie, etc,) or it could be had for next to nothing, relatively speaking (Bowdoin/Geneva, Codman Sq.) For many prospective homebuyers in Boston who aren't making high six figures or expecting a large inheritance, a floor in a triple decker is about as good as it's going to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston