Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 09:45 PM

65 posts, read 178,265 times

Advertisements

I'm in my mid 30s/single/no kids and have been offered a job in Downtown Boston making in the low to mid 70s. I currently live in South Orange NJ and commute to NYC for work making the same amount. The job duties are a step up, however, and the Boston employer offers more opportunities for advancement. I am trying to figure out if I want to take the job in Boston. These are my major concerns:
1) Renting an apartment is #1! This was a serious issue when I first came to NYC as well. I knew little about the city's neighborhoods. Also, the cost of living is pretty outrageous here too and, unless you're affluent, severely limits your choices. I eventually found my way to a Jersey town that works for me although there was a lot of stumbling along the way. I am now too old for adventures in Flatbush Brooklyn-type environments. Are there any safe areas in the Boston commuting area where I can rent an apartment for between 1000-1200/mo? 1200-1400/mo? From the initial searches I've done, this seems like a pipe dream. I own a car but would like something close to the T if possible. I also strongly prefer multi-unit, managed buildings. Is Dorchester really that bad? East Boston? Revere? None of these areas appear to be as affordable as people claim.
2) Racism. I know this is a very touchy subject and I don't mean to offend anyone. However, whether founded or not, Boston has a reputation for more racism than many other places and I am not white. I am wondering how happy I would be there? Will there be a lot of verbal harassment? Didn't have many problems during past visits to the city but we were warned to stay away from South Boston. We were mostly in the downtown area, Cambridge, and Waltham, which are college areas but ones I likely won't be living in as they are not particularly affordable.
3) Arts scene. I'm pretty into the NYC arts, dance, and classical music scenes. When a day is going wrong at work, I can walk with friends in the neighborhood where we work (Tribeca) and find a gallery or new restaurant to stop into or something otherwise interesting. I don't like bars, drinking, and sports. I regularly go to Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, and MoMA after work. I know that Boston has an arts scene although it's obviously more limited. I've seen the Boston Ballet, BSO, and ICA, but what other cultural offerings are there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 09:54 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,326,099 times
Lol @ thread title.... Oxford Comma!!

1) Living on 70k as a single person with no children anywhere in Boston is easy. Don't worry about it. Most of us do alright on much much less.

2) This sounds like some select parts of Boston in 1970. It's 2014. If Boston actually were as "racist" as everyone loves to claim it is, we wouldn't be a majority-minority city. Verbal harrassment should not be on your worry list. People are quite reserved, in general.

3) I'm not personally all that qualified to comment on this.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:35 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,076,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandas&presents View Post
Didn't have many problems during past visits to the city but we were warned to stay away from South Boston.
I'm sorry, but who ever warned you to stay away from South Boston knows very little about the present day neighborhood. As the above poster mentioned, it's not 1970. In fact, the current elected state rep of South Boston is a Haitian-American woman.

With that said, gentrification over the past 10-15 years has driven rents in South Boston through the roof, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find something in the $1200-$1400 price range.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:43 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,961,889 times
If you can afford to live in NY/NJ you can more likely than not afford to live in Boston on the same salary. I'm not sure what would work best for you but Somerville comes to mind, maybe Medford. It looks like you are looking to rent an apartment on your own. Though if you were willing to share a two bedroom with another person your options open up quite a bit. Multi-unit managed buildings in my experience tend to be more expensive, and a good amount of the housing stock in Boston is in 2 and 3 families.

There are a couple of good threads on racism in Boston. I don't think you will find any verbal harassment or the need to avoid certain areas, but I do know minorities sometimes feel there is a racist sentiment to the city. I'm white so I'm not going to try to describe it, but I do know the concern is valid.

As for the arts scene you are 100% right that it is not New York, but it's decent. There are a variety of theaters with decent plays, open studios, a good number of art galleries, the Boston Early Music Fest, and if all else fails New York really isn't that far away. The biggest difference in my opinion is that in Boston you have to be a bit more proactive in seeking out events like what you describe whereas in NYC it tends to be the norm or is just there. Be forewarned Boston is a sports town, in many ways even more than NYC, but I have several friends who couldn't name a single Red Sox player and somehow manage to survive.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:52 AM

3,849 posts, read 5,249,786 times
As far as racism in the area is concerned, as a black man I have not experienced any overt racism in the area during my almost 7 years here. With that said I know it exists, not because it is Boston, but because it exists everywhere on this earth and in this country.

I always have a chuckle when folks tell me Boston is any more or less racist than other cities. Racism is a reality anywhere we go and if you got along fine in NY/NJ, you should be fine here as well. What I will say is that professionally I have had more opportunities in Boston than any other city I have lived. Yes I am aware that this is anecdotal, but just sharing my experience.

As far as "Southie" is concerned I am sure there may have been a time that was true, but it surely is not now. The neighborhood is totally gentrified, with a growing minority and gay community. As Cliff Clavin stated as well, the elected rep for the neighborhood is a Black Haitian-American woman.

Ironically enough a few weeks ago I had a friend visiting me from Atlanta and he wanted me to take him to a dive bar in Southie he had read about named Croke Park/Whitey's. Apparently this is the type of place that used to not be welcoming (rumors not personal experience) and we walked in and drank all night with no problems at all (Both of us are black) Heck the owner is a huge boxing fan and we are as well so it was actually a pretty great night of conversation. So if a place like that is no longer a no go zone, then I am pretty sure you can rent an apartment there with no issues. With that said, finding something in Southie for under $1400 is going to be the challenge, no local Klan meetings.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:15 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,737,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandas&presents View Post
I can rent an apartment for between 1000-1200/mo? 1200-1400/mo? I also strongly prefer multi-unit, managed buildings.

Yes, for 1200-1400 you can. But your preference for multi unit managed buildings might be more challenging. They exist, but aren't the norm, and are often in pricier pars of the city (at least that is my perception).

Cambridge had open studios this past weekend. Somerville next weekend. Great days.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:02 AM

4,548 posts, read 4,794,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, for 1200-1400 you can. But your preference for multi unit managed buildings might be more challenging. They exist, but aren't the norm, and are often in pricier pars of the city (at least that is my perception).
Or further out.
You'd be stuck in suburbia, be car-based for much of your life, but take the train in. I know you could find what your looking for, renting wise, in Framingham. But you'd have to trade off being close to anything not shopping, and riding the train into Boston every day. Although, if your job would be near South Station, or the financial district, your time commuting wouldn't be much different than now - depending on the train and station, it can take between 30 minutes and 60 minutes to get from Framingham to downtown Boston.

If you drop the mulit-unit building/complex requirement, inside 128 would not be a problem. Not knowing where you'd be working, I'm personally partial to Arlington.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:18 AM

2,710 posts, read 6,076,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Ironically enough a few weeks ago I had a friend visiting me from Atlanta and he wanted me to take him to a dive bar in Southie he had read about named Croke Park/Whitey's. Apparently this is the type of place that used to not be welcoming (rumors not personal experience) and we walked in and drank all night with no problems at all (Both of us are black) Heck the owner is a huge boxing fan and we are as well so it was actually a pretty great night of conversation.
So you found my local watering hole. Glad you enjoyed yourselves. Obviously Whitey's isn't much to look at, but IMO it's probably the friendliest bar in town.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:46 AM

3,849 posts, read 5,249,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
So you found my local watering hole. Glad you enjoyed yourselves. Obviously Whitey's isn't much to look at, but IMO it's probably the friendliest bar in town.
I am honestly kicking myself that I bought into the BS about it being unwelcoming (I typically am not like that in general). The heavy pours, $2 Yuengling's and good conversation will keep me coming back!

Old 04-28-2014, 09:50 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,385,442 times
You can rent in Dorchester on the Red Line for short money - I'd look at Lower Mills. Charlestown is way nicer and you can walk into town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston