Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 03:07 AM

51 posts, read 413,393 times

Advertisements

hey....could you tell me about boston? what is it like? is it safe? what is the "back bay" area? where do rich peeps hang? What is newbury street like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 04:52 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_Ba..._Massachusetts

One more thing... you can now look at the street through Google streets.

Last edited by smarty; 12-12-2007 at 05:04 AM..

Old 12-12-2007, 11:06 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,474 times
I live on Newbury and its great. Wouldnt want to be aywhere else in Boston.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:03 PM

10 posts, read 39,279 times
Default tres jeune + expensive

Back Bay is that grid like section of reclaimed land which has retail, residential homes, condos, schools, the Charles river runs along it, the MBTA public transit runs along it, and alot of students live / play / attend school in that area. Dont be surprised if rent is 1 K for a run down dark studio in back bay. Food and bars are expensive. Grocery picks are few and everyone pretty much walks everywhere b/c parking is hell. Snow will bury all the parked cars so no one goes to work on snow days. Newbury street is a long street that parallels the Charles River within Back Bay and very expensive boutiques , salons, spas, pubs, restaurants, as well as the usual mall retailers are along this road. It is a one way road with little parking and access to the subway line is under ground like in NYC. There are some indie CD comic places too and ice cream shops / sushi places but all still expensive compared to China town Boston or NYC downtown ( which is a day trip on a bus tour available from China town boston ). Many tourists visit back bay too. The boston marathon ends in back bay. Back bay is a great place to live, work, play, experience, watch interesting people go by, but I never got used to the high prices for parking lots, movies, hotels, shows, clubs, sports tickets, concert tickets....Watching the Red Sox play in other cities is way way way cheaper than buying a ticket in Boston Fenway Park ! I lived there and also suburbs of Boston and I think people are friendly overall.

Last edited by beantown00; 12-12-2007 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 12-12-2007, 12:31 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beantown00 View Post
but I never got used to the high prices for parking lots,
Boston is a walking city... my suggestion is not to have a car.

As to the other stuff like...movies, hotels, shows, clubs, sports tickets, concert tickets, .... I cannot afford to go to any... oh well.

However, if you have a local student ID.... many shows and entrance fees are half price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: