U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 05:57 PM

2,118 posts, read 2,240,190 times
Default Views of Boston skyline

I am curious to find out where some of the best views of the Boston skyline are, both from roads and from spots where you need to hike a little.

Some spots I am a big fan of:

Eastern Av, Arlington- The park near Brackett Elementary school in the Heights (The park with the slides built into the hill), You can see this same view going east on rt 2 but not nearly as good.

Wright's tower in the Fells (Bear Hill tower isn't quite as good of a view of Boston but you can actually walk up into it whereas Wright's has a great view from the base but the tower itself is often closed.)

Winchester Country Club- Hole 12 i thiiink. Not as panaromic as the others, but it has the golfcourse in the foreground which is pretty scenic.

There is a great street in Revere but I have no idea where.

I'm just interested to find out where other people have driven over a hill and noticed "Wow! You can see Boston great from here!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 06:51 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,920,603 times
Cross over the bridge into South Boston waterfront and then turn around. It always looks better once you're outside of the skyline, which is why I never understood why people say "I live in a highrise in downtown -- the views are great!" I always ask, what views... views of all the triple deckers in South Boston?

Old 12-13-2007, 06:59 AM

639 posts, read 2,408,039 times
MIT's courtyard around the Media Lab in Cambridge is a great spot for viewing the Boston Skyline:

MIT has four buildings by I.M. Pei, a good collection of modern sculpture, an interesting chapel, and the best views of Boston across the Charles River Basin. A good place for the modern look is the courtyard around the Media Lab (I.M. Pei, 1984). The main courtyards of the old buildings (1916; donated by George Eastman) are impressive in a concrete awe-the-peasants sort of way.

The view of the skyline from Fan Pier and the Federal Courthouse is absolutely beautiful. We had dinner at the Daily Catch this past summer a few times. It's located in the rotunda area and you're sitting out there looking over at the Boston Harbor Hotel and that whole area with the sailboats going by along the water. On this side of the Courthouse it was SO amazing, so it must be even more awesome from the federal courthouse rooms! Matt Damon walked through this rotunda area where the Daily Catch is located in the movie "The Departed", remember?

Boston's Convention Center! What a view from there! We were at this huge convention in September and it's absolutely the most incredible view of Boston I've ever seen. You see the whole waterfront area, the Financial District AND Logan Airport with the planes taking off. It was absolutely gorgeous from their window!

Another place with incredible views...

The Granite Links Golf Club at Quarry Hills. When you open this link you'll see what I mean:

www.granitelinksgolfclub.com

It's located at 100 QUARRY HILLS DRIVE QUINCY, MA 02169 PHONE: 617-689-1900

Marina Bay in Quincy is another beautiful place that has great views of the Boston Skyline, even just walking along their boardwalk you see it. We went to a wedding on the 2nd floor of the Skyline restaurant a while ago and it was absolutely beautiful. You didn't even feel as if you were any where near Boston, it seemed as if we were on vacation out west or something!

http://skylinemarinabay.com/images/function_room_lg.jpg (broken link)

One other gem of a place with a view that we love because they have a "float-in" dock for customers (especially awesome in the summer months) is Venezia's Restaurant. It's located at 20 Ericsson St., Dorchester, MA. What a view of the skyline from here:

www.venezia-onthewater.com

Then of course the Tavern on the Water in Charlestown, is a great place with a view:

www.tavernonthewater.com

Oh no, all my little secrets for views of the skyline, now they're gone, oh well....

Last edited by CityGirl52; 12-13-2007 at 07:09 AM..

Old 12-13-2007, 11:54 AM

1,815 posts, read 7,392,612 times
Citygirl... great list...

I was going to say something about Quincy... You beat me...

Old 12-13-2007, 02:27 PM

639 posts, read 2,408,039 times
Wait Smarty & whoever is reading this, I thought of some more....

From the North Shore, when you're driving in to Boston and you're ready to pay your toll on the Mystic Tobin Bridge near Chelsea? That view from right there is absolutely spectacular of the Boston skyline and Logan Airport as you peek over IF you're in a truck or SUV, you really don't get that same effect in a car! Then, if you're driving up from the South Shore as you're just past the South Boston exit a ways and you're heading toward the Kneeland Street exit and the ramp & tunnel underneath the City? That view of the Boston Skyline's Financial District and all of downtown Boston is out of this world, driving in to that part of Boston!

When you're out of state or out of the country and you're dying to get home to Boston and New England and you're on a plane? How about when you land at Logan, every one who's from here originally, picks out Castle Island in Southie as soon as the plane descends or they'll pick out the Bunker Hill Monument in Charlestown and all the other landmarks! We're busy pointing out all the various neighborhoods too, I'm guilty of it myself, yelling out oh, there's Eastie, there's Southie, there's the "town"! There's nothing like Boston's skyline anywhere!

Old 12-13-2007, 04:24 PM

20,331 posts, read 5,849,118 times
I have to agree with Quarry Hills........I live up the street from there. There is also a restaurant there called the Tavern at Quarry Hills....If you are fortunate enough to be having dinner there when the sun is setting it is spectacular.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:30 PM

20,331 posts, read 5,849,118 times
These two pics were taken in July from Boston Harbor
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd13/Debzpicks/IMG_3505.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-13-2007, 05:08 PM

450 posts, read 3,547 times
houghs neck pier

it's by the water treatment plant where fisherman go but you get a great view of boston and the islands

I'd say probably the best view is from there

Old 12-14-2007, 02:23 PM

62 posts, read 189,019 times
blue hills reservation in milton (or is it in hyde park) you can take any number of hikes (easy to difficult) up to the top and get a great view of Boston. it's one of my favorites.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:40 PM

384 posts, read 2,070 times
Go to Deer Island(not actually an island) in Winthrop,go as far south as you can(water treatment plant), you are practically in Boston Harbor.Face west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston