Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 08:20 AM

4 posts, read 5,517 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
I posted this in the general Massachusetts threads, but on further inspection it'd probably get more attention here.

So I'm 22 years old and starting a job as a software developer in Kendall Square in Cambridge. I'm looking to move to the Cambridge or Somerville Area (on the red line ideally), but don't know much about where to look and what the general feeling of each square is.

Generally, I've never been into the raging party scene and don't really want to live somewhere where that's a thing.

Descriptions of interesting squares or neighborhoods, or any advice on how to do this would be really appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 08:29 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,805,613 times
If you don't want the bar scene, etc, there is no reason to pay for Porter Sq or Davis Sq... so for a bit more reasonable rates I'd look to Union Sq. The CT2 bus runs through Union and stops at Kendall, or it is a mid level walk. If you wanted to be closer and also in a nice neighborhood, Inman Sq is a straight shot to Kendall and is pretty subdued.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:56 AM

4 posts, read 5,517 times
I don't think I phrased it right in my initial post. I'm not exactly looking for subdued, just a place where there's other stuff beyond a wild party or club.
Thanks!

Old 05-29-2014, 09:01 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,805,613 times
Well Somerville/Cambridge aren't really wild party places and I don't really know of any club clubs... I think there are some dance nights still in Central Sq. Davis is more the Tufts going out drinking/eating area... but it has nice eateries too and isn't really party central, just more active.

Any of them will do, really. I like Davis best, but it is more expensive, and it is the most early 20s of any of the neighborhoods.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:45 PM

596 posts, read 979,183 times
If you can afford it, why not Kendall Square itself? There are some nice apartment buildings, and you can walk across the Longfellow Bridge to Boston. We are moving there soon ourselves, and it seems like most of the attractions of interest in the metro area are within about 2 miles (i.e. walking distance) of our apartment. I understand that some of the other squares may be more lively, but most of these places would be easily accessible from Kendall (and your commute would be a non-issue).

Old 05-29-2014, 01:07 PM

145 posts, read 281,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woahdomino View Post
Hi there!
I posted this in the general Massachusetts threads, but on further inspection it'd probably get more attention here.

So I'm 22 years old and starting a job as a software developer in Kendall Square in Cambridge. I'm looking to move to the Cambridge or Somerville Area (on the red line ideally), but don't know much about where to look and what the general feeling of each square is.

Generally, I've never been into the raging party scene and don't really want to live somewhere where that's a thing.

Descriptions of interesting squares or neighborhoods, or any advice on how to do this would be really appreciated.
Thanks!
If you don't want to be around parties and loud people, you need to mention that you are looking for a "quiet apartment." Boston and Cambridge are essentially college towns with lots of parties, and people in your age range are known to be the late-night partiers.

In terms of location, anywhere near Kendall should be fine (as long as you mention that you are looking for a "quiet apartment"), or anywhere near the red line north of JFK UMASS*. If you want silence more than a convenient commute, you can look in Belmont, Watertown, Lexington and Arlington as well, which are on buses to red line stations. www.mbta.com

*If you are south of South Station on the red line, also ask if it's a safe neighborhood.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:23 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,604,991 times
Given a choice of locations in Cambridge, I would pick one of the apartment buildings in Kendall were I you. Like the other poster said you get the best of both Boston and Cambridge. Some software developer friends of mine really like the Archstone North Point building. Alot of the newer restaurants, cafes and afterhours places have planted in Kendall over the last ten years. Think Area Four, Voltage, Flour Bakery and Meadhall. MIT and Harvard students are more into studying than partying so I think you'd actually be fine anywhere in Cambridge. Strawberry Hill, Inman and West Cambridge tend to be a more 60ish crowd. Central and Cambridgeport are home to interesting diversity and ethnic restaurants and hold most of the music clubs in town. Harvard Square is a little more hippie dippy and Porter/Davis Square hipster central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston