Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:08 AM

157 posts, read 228,873 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! Or as we say in Richmond: y'all!

I've been browsing the forums for the last few weeks researching relocation to the Greater Boston area. After visiting the city and surrounding area last summer, I fell in love. After reviewing other posts on relocation, I felt it was time to register on the site and post some more personalized questions for some feedback from you fine folks. And I say fine folks because the kindness I discovered in Boston is part of what made it so easy to love; most people were eager to help me find my way around.

I'll be graduating next Spring with a Master's in Teaching and know the great overall reputation held by the Massachusetts school systems, which is another reason I'm leaning towards Boston. I was raised and educated in Richmond, but am seeking a more forward thinking region to start my career.

- One great thing about Richmond is the small city feel with the accessibility of a large city. This is what attracted me to Greater Boston. While I own a car, I'd like to bike/walk as much as possible (I drive less than 100 miles a month). Opinions on here are mixed as far as whether or not a car is necessary in the areas I'm looking. although I know the MBTA is pretty solid.

- There currently seem to be a few high school job openings in the areas I've had my eye on. While I'm not terribly picky where I teach, I am new to he profession and would like to avoid any "Dangerous Minds" situations. I'm still researching schools, but any input is appreciated. I understand it will likely be necessary to commute to work, hence the interest in public transit, but bikeability would be pretty awesome.

- I'm a still fairly young (31) single guy, so I'd like to live among young professionals like myself. Admittedly, I still like to go out and have a get a little loose on occasion, so a vibrant, walkable/bikeable neighborhood is a must. The areas I've looked at seem to be hit or mess in this department, but I'll get to that soon enough.

- Green space is a must (tree lined streets, parks), and Greater Boston doesn't seem to fall short in that area; but greener areas seem to vary throughout, although a nice, lush park nearby would keep me happy.

These are the neighborhoods/areas I've thoroughly researched, but didn't have the pleasure of seeing while I was in the area:
Somerville: This has been the most attractive, although the cost of living compared to surrounding areas has been a deterrent. Pros are a greater night life, more younger/single people, close to the T, and fairly bikeable. Downsides are the cost, of course, and very little green space from what I can tell. There seem to be efforts to improve this, according to the city's website. There is an opening at the one, local high school, although I haven't looked much into the school itself.

Arlington: While Arlington has many pros (Minuteman Trail, many parks, lower cost of living, and proximity to Davis Sq. without the cost of Somerville), it seems the pace is slower and there are fewer people my age according to City-Data. Overall it seems like a big trade off between here and Somerville.

Cambridge: So many people on the forums suggest Cambridge, but after visiting, I don't know if I could see myself there. Maybe there's more to it than I observed, and admittedly I haven't included it in my research.

It's worth including that I will be planning on renting and am ok living with a tidy/courteous roommate. I hope I've provided sufficient information and can't wait to hear everyone's suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 12:49 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
I can't help you with where to live, other than be prepared from some serious sticker shock. I do suggest you seek your MA teaching certification ASAP. See here for more information: Amazing Educators

Old 06-05-2014, 12:56 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
I wouldn't discount Arlington. There are more and more people in their 30s (singles) locating there. It's easy to get to Davis/Porter from there, you get more for your money, and it is more green for certain.

I live in Somerville, and have lived in most of the squares, but if you definitely want green space, Arlington would be my choice. The 77 and the bike path to Alewife will take care of getting to Davis/Porter/Harvard etc for socializing really easily.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:06 PM

gf2020: I am aware that the cost of living there versus here is substantially different, but I've found the average teacher pay up there is almost double what it is here. And I am currently getting my MA certification. Fortunately, Virginia and Massachusetts have pretty good reciprocity, so there wouldn't be many hoops to jump through to find a job there.

timberline: All of that is great to hear. May I ask why you suggest Arlington over Somerville?

Old 06-05-2014, 03:14 PM

And what part of Arlington would you recommend based on what I'm looking for?

Old 06-05-2014, 05:15 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
I live in Arlington and both my roommate and I are in early 30s, single.

I live near Arlington Heights. There are some restaurants (including Chinese, Thai, Italian) and markets in walking distance, but not many. If you live near Arlington Town Hall, there are more things going on. Both places are close to a Stop & Shop, which opens till 11 pm.

Arlington Heights is about 15 minutes from Burlington Mall (Macy, Sears, Nordstrom), where you can find Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, supermarkets, AMC theater, and quite a few fine bar/restaurants too. In fact I do my shopping there mostly. Easy to park.

In terms of socializing, Arlington per se is not the best place because it is quite residential. The Starbucks near Town Hall is often filled with married people lol. I have not seen any bars here. But it's really not far from Somerville or Cambridge.

It is very safe, though my neighbor shot his wife and kid and then committed suicide last year.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:14 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapeaz View Post
timberline: All of that is great to hear. May I ask why you suggest Arlington over Somerville?

Cost and green space. I think Davis / Porter is more fun, but you pay heavily for that fun, and it is less green. So i'm looking at your criteria here.

Also, not knowing where you will work there are more options there for commute in most every direction.

I would live near Arlington Center or up Mass Ave near the Capital Theatre, on the Spy Pond side. Closer to Somerville and Cambridge, equal access to rte 2 and closer to 16 to 93 if needed

Old 06-05-2014, 08:29 PM

288 posts, read 634,492 times
You might also like Waltham. I know a few teachers your age that live in that area and enjoy it.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:41 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,062,754 times
What about Savin Hill? Plenty of green space, relatively affordable, and downtown is less than 15 minutes away on red line.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:29 AM

It's great to hear Arlington has plenty of green space. Google Maps satellite view seems to tell a different story, but I'll find out for myself when I come up to check it out later this year.

Speaking of Google Maps, it was incredibly impressive to see that there are continuous enough bike paths to ride from Arlington into the city or back. I'm thinking it would be possible to bring your bike on the T (during permitted hours) and then ride it back from they city if you're caught out after T hours. Is this something people do? Richmond has little to no bike friendliness, so the concept is new to me.

It's also great to see the Minuteman can take you from Arlington into more happening places like Davis Square and Cambridge. I know y'all have said it's a safe area, but is it safe enough for biking the trail at night to get to and from any night on the outskirts of Arlington? Arlington is at the top of my list, but what's going to make or break it for me is accessibility of social scene. I'd be moving up alone without knowing anyone and would be eager to make friends.
Bettafish Where area did/do you go to socialize?

sharencare and bigfatdude: Thank you for the additional recommendations. I'll look into those, although I've heard Savin Hill has dangerous spots you have to pass through to get most of the hot spots outside of the area.

edit: I walk almost everywhere, work and social scenes, and bike to school, so that's what drives my interest in accessibility, which is in the top 3 criteria for my relocation. Thanks again for everyone's help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston