Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 02:44 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times

Advertisements

I second the Quincy suggestion. Easy access to Boston by road or rapid transit (Red Line) and the commute is more manageable to Taunton (you avoid all/most of 93 depending on where in Quincy you are). Quincy itself isn't bad either.

From Quincy I'd give myself 40 minutes or so depending on where I'm heading to in Taunton (maybe a little less if it's right off of 24).

Taunton ranges from "meh" to crummy in spots. Not the type of place you want to live for 6 months if you want to get a feel for the area. Even though it's not horribly dangerous, it's not particularly vibrant or exciting. A lot of it is somewhat rundown.

Plymouth is nice too, but that does put you further out from Boston.

One option if you're really interested in living in Boston is to find out if either Dattco or Bloom bus pick-up/drop-off close enough to your job so you can walk. An hour or so sitting on the bus and reading or napping beats an hour + driving in traffic. A 10 trip pass (1 week of r/t travel) ranges from $63-70 depending on which service you use. Not far off from what you'd spend on gas doing the drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 05:26 PM

103 posts, read 301,269 times
Oh god that commute sucks! It's hard to get from Weymouth to Taunton easily some days not during rush hour. I'd strongly recommend living in Providence over Boston if you're commuting to Taunton.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:30 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
From Quincy I'd give myself 40 minutes or so depending on where I'm heading to in Taunton (maybe a little less if it's right off of 24).
At rush hour I would be surprised if it only takes that long. 93 is awful in both directions. It won't really free up until you get onto 24 from 128.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niandra
I'd strongly recommend living in Providence over Boston if you're commuting to Taunton.
That's another idea. One could live on the E Side and be in Taunton in probably 30 minutes. And from there you also have the train to take you into Boston when you want. Remember Providence isn't Boston though...

Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
At rush hour I would be surprised if it only takes that long. 93 is awful in both directions. It won't really free up until you get onto 24 from 128
Yeah, 40 minutes is optimistic for travel between most of Quincy and most of Taunton. If I lived in Quincy and were going commute to Taunton, I'd shoot for a place between Quincy Adams and Quincy Center to give relatively easy highway access while bypassing most of 93. 40 minutes or so from a spot close to the 93/128 merge to the Industrial Park or something right off of exit 12 or 13 on 24 is reasonable. A quick glance at google shows Quincy Adams to the Industrial park as being 30 minutes right now with backups on 24 and 128. 40 minutes in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic may be tight on some mornings, but not unrealistic. Anything north or east of Quincy Center could easily be an hour or more. Especially if the OP works somewhere that's not right off the highway.

I commuted to Boston from Fall River for a while. I got to/from Quincy Adams in 45-50 minutes during rush hour traffic on average (some days were faster, some a little worse... Rarely did it ever take an hour). That's what I'm basing my guess on. With no traffic, Taunton to Quincy is under 1/2 hour.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:48 AM

188 posts, read 283,425 times
I would say that you might want to check out Mansfield. It is easy to drive to Taunton. There is a commuter rail that can get you to Boston (South station) within 30 minutes or Providence. Essentially, the commuter rail can get you also to two airports, which is really convenient if you travel. It is off I-95 and I495, so it is easy to drive to anywhere you want...
I used to live in Mansfield and I am sure you can find many places to rent, since there are many apartment complexes there.
There are actually some apartments close to the station, so you can walk to commuter rail (e.g., Village at Mansfield depot etc). Also, it is close to Wrentham Premium outlet stores (15 min drive).
Because many huge businesses have large offices there (it is called Forbes boulevard and the industrial park etc.), many people visit or stay for short periods in the area. Also, it is really next to Gillette stadium of Foxborough, which is the home of the Patriots and the venue of many concerts etc... So, you might want to google Mansfield and do some research to see if this might work for you. Hope this helps.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:56 AM

974 posts, read 1,896,941 times
Providence is good if you're adventurous and young and have never really lived in cities before and have your own car.

No, it's not Boston, but for a newbie to the East Coast on 6months time? Might be a good solution!

You need to decide if you can handle a known, horrible commute from Boston to Taunton every day OR if you want a shorter, more manageable commute.

Plus, you can come into Boston at any time from PVD-no passport required!

Old 06-22-2014, 08:45 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Taunton itself looks/is pretty run down. I'm not sure the circumstances of how you landed the job you did, but it's probably the last place I'd choose to work for someone who is in your shoes.
Taunton is pretty nice overall, why do you say that? I used to live their and seen every inch of it, I'd live there again.

As far as the commute, that would be a reverse commute, shouldn't be a problem at all.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:29 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Taunton is pretty nice overall, why do you say that? I used to live their and seen every inch of it, I'd live there again.

As far as the commute, that would be a reverse commute, shouldn't be a problem at all.
It's not awful, but is not great either. Much of the central part IS run down, and it gets a little worse each year. A certain element seems to be taking a much greater foothold there. And while I wouldn't yet call it a mini-Brockton, that is where I see it headed in a few years. Then again, many of the outlying areas are rural/suburban and totally nice. Not really the place for a single 24 year-old from outside the area, however...

The reverse commute out of Boston is no picnic, not until you get onto 24 S will the traffic free up.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:19 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's not awful, but is not great either. Much of the central part IS run down, and it gets a little worse each year. A certain element seems to be taking a much greater foothold there. And while I wouldn't yet call it a mini-Brockton, that is where I see it headed in a few years. Then again, many of the outlying areas are rural/suburban and totally nice. Not really the place for a single 24 year-old from outside the area, however...

The reverse commute out of Boston is no picnic, not until you get onto 24 S will the traffic free up.
The looming takeover of Covidien, the area's largest corporate employer is not going to help the economic situation in Southeastern MA much.

Other than Patriots' games, stadium and xfinity center concerts, there isn't much excitement for a young single person in those parts.

For just a six month stay, the other posters' suggestions of Providence and Quincy will work best for you.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:19 PM

546 posts, read 1,376,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballa56k View Post
Thanks for the replies. Thinking that it might be worth just living close to work and driving to the city when I feel the need.
Smart move friend, that would give you a lot more options and more time to do other stuff.

Hope we are good to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston