Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:21 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,728,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapeaz View Post
I think I know exactly what you mean and realize how that can be considering the lack of connection (geographically and T-wise) between the two areas. One of the drawbacks I've definitely noticed as I find myself attracted to JP is that Cambridge/Somerville will certainly not be my stomping grounds, even on the weekends. What I'm guessing is that when you have JP, JP/Boston proper is your neighborhood, whereas over in the other neck of the woods, you get Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, Arlington, etc. This is all why I feel I'm feeling the increasing importance of visiting before getting too excited about one area or the other, although it's likely I have a bad taste in my mouth from my exposure to the night life in Harvard Square the couple of nights I spent there.

And if you're a rocker, sometimes y'all meet up in Allston, but I think you got it.

I can't say much positive about the Harvard Sq night life. I can take Charlies, but that is about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 10:35 AM

157 posts, read 227,824 times
Charlies?

Old 06-24-2014, 11:30 AM

Bar / restaurant in Harvard Sq. Upstairs is fairly cool (not great food by any means). One of the only places I'll frequent in the Square outside of a date type place.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:47 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,321,096 times
I spent 3 years right out of college living in Coolidge Corner, Brookline. Its safe, affluent, good food in the square, and relatively easy to get into Boston on the Green Line. I did not dislike the area, but the nightlife was all but nonexistent. Then I moved to the Cambridge/Somerville area and realized instantly that it was more my style. More diverse, artsy and bohemian and has a "local first" attitude to eating and shopping. The most and best live music in the area, there are some pretty amazing local musicians living in the area. The night life is better, but it really depend son what you are looking for.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:39 AM

350 posts, read 1,086,845 times
Something to think about that doesn't get much discussion - while the Back Bay, Beacon Hill and North End often get mentioned as great areas - which they are - keep in mind that these areas are inundated with tourists, esp in the summer. On one hand, while I would love living in Back Bay or Beacon Hill, I would not love the dealing with the throngs of tourists, esp on weekends. The North End is jammed with tourists as well. Which I why I would recommend Brookline, esp around Coolidge Corner or Brookline Village. That area has everything, including access to T (green line). It is a vibrant area that has the feel of a real neighborhood with lots of great restaurants and shops ... Certain areas of Cambridge and Somerville are also great; with a bit more night life and a younger "vibe" if that is appealing to you. Would be best to visit these areas and walk around during the day, evening and on a weekend and see where you feel you would fit in best.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:49 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,322,586 times
^ Agreed. Way too many tourists in those areas for me. Also, these places are kinda boring, in my opinion, or at least just not really my scene. I'd vastly prefer a place like Davis Square or Allston. But then again, I'm not that classy of a guy! Coolidge Corner is a nice area, but it's not very exciting.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:16 PM

228 posts, read 262,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Bar / restaurant in Harvard Sq. Upstairs is fairly cool (not great food by any means). One of the only places I'll frequent in the Square outside of a date type place.
Upstairs in Harvard Square closed earlier this year.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterj View Post
Upstairs in Harvard Square closed earlier this year.

Uh, we were talking about Charlies. The upstairs.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:37 PM

103 posts, read 300,097 times
I love Charlie's! The patio is great at night in the summer.

I guess what neighborhood I'd recommend for someone depends on what their budget is, where they work, what they like to do for fun, and what kind of mode of transport they prefer. I've loved living in Area IV in Cambridge for the past two years. It's really central and convenient for me because I work in the BMC area and can either drive, walk, or take the 1 bus.

Breezy1's suggestion to look into Cambridge and Somerville is really good. I have more space in my place in Cambridge than apartments do in the North End.

Coolidge Corner in Brookline is nice if you're looking for a quieter, older neighborhood. It's not a long walk to Allston either. If you have a car, you'd definitely need a place with parking there. The commute can be kind of a hassle from Coolidge to say, Harvard Sq by bus, but there is a new private transit service called Bridj that I've heard good things about. My friend uses it to get to work and it has made her life so much easier!

Old 06-28-2014, 10:27 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,850,434 times
Default Brookline nighttime parking ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Out of that list I'd say Brookline, all of those places are overpriced but that's where I'd live if I were to pick one. Also, not sure that it matters to you (does to some people for some reason) but Brookline isn't a Boston neighborhood, it's an independent town.
Just the usual caution about Brookline: nice town, Coolidge Corner good for young professionals, public transit good in some neighborhoods, but then there is that nighttime ban on parking along the street. And they do ticket. Vigorously. If you live there without a car, great, but with a car, you need to either find a place with off-street parking or pay separately to rent a parking space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston