Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 03:42 AM

4 posts, read 11,290 times

Advertisements

I'm considering move from brooklyn to boston with an elementary age child. I'd be working in Back Bay. Would like a neighborhood/town that is an easy commute (preferably by public transport), decent public schools, diversity, and stores/restaurants within walking distance. In other words, similar to NYC. Is that possible? Anyone else make such a move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 06:59 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,837,616 times
Jamaica Plain has been compared to Park Slope-- it's not as dense and the shopping isn't as walking-distance convenient as in the slope but it's diverse, gay friendly, somewhat yuppified, has some nice restaurants & bars, is very convenient to Back Bay via Orange line to Back Bay Station or Centre St buses, and it has much more open green space than anything in Brooklyn. Less diverse but nice and convenient are the neighborhoods along the D and B green line tracks in Brookline. Central Square in Cambridge could remind one of parts of Brooklyn (if you squint.)

Old 12-18-2007, 08:08 AM

4 posts, read 11,290 times
thanks, I was thinking of Cambridge, don't know much about Jamaica Plain. How are the public schools in Cambridge? I have heard they are terrible in Boston, is that universally true? Can you find good elem and middle schools, and high schools if your child doesn't get into Boston Latin (I seem to be the only parent in nYC who does not have a gifted child)

Old 12-18-2007, 08:36 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,837,616 times
I think schools are generally better in Cambridge than in Boston so for school-age child, Cambridge is probably a better bet. Brookline has top-notch schools. Boston-Online website is run by Adam Gaffin who grew up in Brooklyn and has one or more children in Boston schools; in that forum he'll tell people that as a parent you have to work at it but it's not impossible.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:49 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,707 times
You have to ask yourself how you define what is a good school?

If you say test scores... Your kid contributes to the test score of that school. School score does not mean your kid will have that score. If your kid does well, is it because of the school? or did your kid score make the school good? Reverse logic is true?

Btw.. there is no gifted program in most MA schools. If you are really advance, they'll just move you up a few grades.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:15 AM

5 posts, read 16,076 times
we just moved from nyc and are looking in brookline.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:11 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
If schools are a concern, I'd look into Brookline too. It has everything you're looking for (although not as diverse as Brooklyn) and is more family-friendly than Boston or Cambridge. Check out the walkable neighborhoods -- Brookline Village, Coolidge Corner, and Washington Square. If you decide to rule out Brookline, I'd check out Cambridge before I consider Boston because the schools are better and it's a little more affordable if you want a safe, somewhat quiet neighborhood.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:49 PM

19 posts, read 104,839 times
Default NYC to Boston: Brookline thoughts.

I feel that Brookline is the best match for someone who likes Brooklyn and wants good public schools. Brookline schools are well above Boston and Cambridge, and are similar to the other good suburbs that are farther out. Brookline is the only suburb that is mostly within Boston (look on a map).

Also, the B, C and D Green lines go from Brookline through Back Bay. It would be an easy commute, roughly 10-15 minutes. You could even walk, depending on where in Brookline you lived.

Even the people seem more "New Yorky" in Brookline than in other parts of Boston. Not as diverse as Jamaica Plain or Cambridge, but quite diverse as suburbs go. A significant Asian (mostly Japanese), gay and lesbian population, and the core of Jewish life in Boston. Also, lots of apartments and brownstones along Beacon Street and Harvard Ave. Sound like Brooklyn?

Check out Coolidge Corner (the main downtown), Washington Square or Brookline Village. If you go farther out, it is still nice but becomes a mix of estates and nice suburb.

Lastly, Brookline has the highest percentage of college graduates and post-graduates of any town in MA. Lots of (too many?) educated people. Only Cambridge has a similar feel. And remember: Brookline is 55K people, while Brooklyn is larger than Boston and most of it's near suburbs combined.

Good luck.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,160 times
what part of brookline has a good gay/lesbian population?

Old 09-13-2008, 09:19 AM

8 posts, read 13,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbound5 View Post
what part of brookline has a good gay/lesbian population?
I thought all those people wearing Orthodox Jewish outfits on Saturday morning walks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston