Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 03:38 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a new place now, and the potential landlord is very nosy.

She pulled out my credit reports TWICE within two days. What's the point? I can go bankrupt in two days?

After I turned in the first month's rent as a deposit, she called the phone number on my check and asked my bank if I have enough cash for last month and broker fee, without my permission! I happened not to have a lot of cash in that account because I have another bank account, and also have an account for stocks. Then she asked me how much money I have in each account!

She also asked why my credit card balance is a little high (because my new cards have 0 APRs and I used them to pay off my student loan). I have 100% on time payments on all accounts, including credit cards and auto loan.

She asked where I have lived in previous 5 years and for how long in each place.

Oh not to mention she called my current roommate/landlord.

I have decided if she asks one more question I will say go f* yourself.

Last edited by Bettafish; 07-10-2014 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 04:36 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
I guess maybe she has been burned before?

Old 07-10-2014, 06:19 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,337 times
Probably scared. Unless you have been landlord yourself, it is hard to understand stress and issues landlords face from renters point of view. Some landlords are slimy, but most just trying to pay their mortgage on time.
Good luck in your search!

Old 07-11-2014, 06:59 AM

546 posts, read 1,377,114 times
Agree with the above to posters, that person is doing thier due dilligance, no one likes to be burned. I can understand how it seems invasive, but that is the norm. Only in a perfect world will every one tell the truth and pay thier bills

Old 07-11-2014, 08:36 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,481 times
Only time you can get rid of a bad tenet is before they move in. After that.. good luck!

When I lived in Boston as a student, all of us had to get co-signers sign a notarized form. I totally understand why they did it, but man was it a process to get all 5 notarized statements in from parents who lived 2+ hrs away.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:36 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,064,026 times
Thanks to Boston's incredibly pro-tenant housing laws, this is what all landlords have to go through.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Only time you can get rid of a bad tenet is before they move in. After that.. good luck!

When I lived in Boston as a student, all of us had to get co-signers sign a notarized form. I totally understand why they did it, but man was it a process to get all 5 notarized statements in from parents who lived 2+ hrs away.
I understand this. However after all these hassles even a good tenant will become aggressive and hostile. This is how a society becomes worse.
For those who lived in the Midwest, the process here is very annoying.

A credit report and reference from previous landlord should be sufficient, especially the rent is so high and jobless people with unfortunate history will certainly not apply.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:35 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I understand this. However after all these hassles even a good tenant will become aggressive and hostile. This is how a society becomes worse.
For those who lived in the Midwest, the process here is very annoying.

I've lived in Wisconsin, Indiana and Illinois and I don't really see any difference.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've lived in Wisconsin, Indiana and Illinois and I don't really see any difference.
I lived in Michigan and Kansas and I have never had any landlord who called my bank to ask for my account balance without notifying me. I wonder if it is legal without my consent.
If they need to see my bank statements, fine, just tell me and I will provide.

Credit check is common, but they are not supposed to do it twice with different names. After all it affects credit scores.

Well, I have a non-European foreign name and I have started to wonder if that is the reason.

Last edited by Bettafish; 07-11-2014 at 02:40 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 02:56 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,337 times
Why would yo give them access to account with low balances? They liked you enough to pursue credit check but then, of course, they freaked out when they found low balances on the account. Maybe you were not as forthcoming as you should have been? If I had someone do that to me, all the trust would be lost.

I understand your wish for some semblance of privacy and dignity, however this is business transaction and some better communication/clarification would make the world of difference. You know your finances best, and therefore you should make sure you look your best when searching for an apartment.You have muddied the waters unnecessarily IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston