U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-25-2007, 10:00 PM

12 posts, read 27,507 times
Default College Grad moving to Boston

I recently graduated from college in NC and will be moving to Boston for a job. The job is located in Lynn.

I will be staying in Brookline with a friend for about a month before i find a place of my own.

For the most part ive been looking in Lynn. But i hear good and bad stuff about the place. I hear its a nice town then i hear its the dumps.

I will not be brining a car so im trying to find a place close to work. I would preffer for work to take less than 45 mins on public transportation.

I have looked in Salem because there is a commuter rail stop there but im still not sure on what to do.

I am 23 year old Puerto Rican male. I dont party much but i do every now and then. I am looking to live in a safe neighborhood and pay less than $1000 for a apt.

I joined roomates.com ive been searching on rent.com and craigslist and have looked at a couple other places too. anywhere else i should be searching?

where should i look to live? any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 08:10 PM

416 posts, read 1,049,088 times
You will be fine. I've spend some time in Salem over the past few years and it's a nice place. You should be able to get a 1 bedroom for $1000. I would check the listings on Craigslist and start making some phone calls. Make sure to have 1st months rent and security when apartment searching.

If you are living on the North Shore (which Salem and Lynn are), I would recommend keeping the car. Ditching the car is only do-able when you are in the city. Best of luck and enjoy Boston.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:26 PM

would you mind telling me the good areas and the bad areas?

Old 12-27-2007, 08:28 AM

416 posts, read 1,049,088 times
I don't know which sections are particularly good or bad. Too play it safe, Lynn is bad and Salem is good. Surrounding towns like Revere, Everett, and Chelsea aren't terribly bad, but I would pick Salem over all of them.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:47 PM

cool thanks alot

Old 01-07-2008, 07:32 PM

5 posts, read 18,156 times
Recently there has been a resurgence in the downtown area where many old office and factory buildings have been converted into condos/apartments. A one bedroom would average around 850.00 a month. It is a really hip place to live right now. I am a Realtor in Lynn. Contact me for free advice @ JasonWerner57@hotmail.com

Old 10-02-2009, 09:31 AM

ok so over a year later im updating this haha

i ended up finding a place in Malden off the orange line. it wasnt too bad getting to work. took the orange line then a train up to lyn about 45mins-1hr. plus i was still close enough to Boston to go out and have fun with friends.

I LOVED Boston. But work has brought me back to boring NC anyways, thanks for the help 2 years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston