Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,524 times

Advertisements

I am planning to go to Northeastern University for grad school. I am a 23 year old girl and will be living alone so I am looking for places that are especially safe. I also have a dog (small, 10 pounds) so I would need a pet friendly apartment as well. I'm expecting to spend about $1500-$2500 on rent for a studio or 1 BR but will be willing to pay more if need be. I would like to keep it under $3,000 if possible. I am not opposed to commuting, but would like to limit my commute to 30-40 minutes driving time or on public transit. Can anyone suggest any areas that might work for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 03:48 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Jamaica Plain is pretty dog gone friendly and would be a close commute to Northeastern. West Roxbury or Roslindale could work too. You'd get a nice place in one of these areas in your price range.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:23 PM

288 posts, read 634,492 times
Yes, I agree! Jamaica Plain and Roslindale are good choices if you are looking for safety and public transport access. For example, I've seen Roslindale studios on nice streets go as low as $1200-$1400, though a dog may add to your rental costs as it would make your pool of potential apartments smaller. The Roslindale area is mostly residential, semi-suburban, so it's safe for you to walk your dog in the evening, and it's also close to the Arnold Arboretum, a nice place to walk your dog if it's leashed. JP has more access to the orange line and is considered more hip, urban, and desirable, but Roslindale Village is going through a renewal right now. Roslindale would require a bus transfer, but I know a lot of Roslindale people who park their car at Forest Hills, and then hop on the Orange line to get to Ruggles (the stop closest to Northeastern), Back Bay, and South Station. It would be 20-40 minutes, depending where you live and what transport option you choose.

I also like West Roxbury a lot--it's the safest, quietest, neighborhood in Boston, but it's a little further west and has less frequent buses than Roslindale. It's also more geared toward white middle/upper middle class families with older children, whereas Roslindale has more of mix of having everyone you can imagine--retired blue collar couples who have been there forever, young single professionals, gay couples raising toddlers, firefighters with older kids, and then every ethnicity you can imagine, especially a sizable Latino (in the east) and Greek population (in the north). I think West Roxbury is a little too sleepy for a young person. If I were 23 and single again, I probably would look in JP first, but if safety and quiet is what you want the most, Roslindale is a good alternative.

Last edited by sharencare; 10-19-2014 at 04:41 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 09:03 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,220 times
Damn near every NEU grad student lives in JP, myself included (when I was still a student).

Old 10-22-2014, 06:48 PM

503 posts, read 1,203,768 times
Mission Hill is another place to take a look at. Your commute is an easy trolley ride.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:49 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
For that budget you could probably get a studio/1BR in the Fenway, not need to take any public transport.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:38 PM

7 posts, read 11,876 times
South End area close to Northeastern University such as Warwick street, Sussex street, Greenwich street, Gainsborough street etc.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:56 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
I lived in Wellington Circle in Medford when I went to NU. I walked 7 blocks to the Wellington Orange Line Station, it took me right to the Ruggles Station in the middle of the campus.

It was an excellent arrangement. Medford is very safe and there are a lot of amenities in that area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston