Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:00 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times

Advertisements

If subway is the way to go... it is simple...

Stay with the red line... get off at Kendall Sq/MIT.

Towns are Cambridge, Somerville, South Boston, Quincy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 09:22 PM

4 posts, read 16,400 times
is switching b/w different lines difficult? or a hassle?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:49 PM

No. However, it may take longer...

for example, if you live in Brighton... it may take you 20-25 minutes to get into Boston and then a few minutes wait to Kendal. The whole trip may take 40 minutes... Plus time going to the stations (from house and to work)... that may be a total of 1 hr.

You can go to the mbta site and it will give you an estimate of time going from one location to another.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:41 PM

385 posts, read 1,454,293 times
From Brighton to Kendall, it may be quicker to take the 86 bus to Harvard (15-20 minutes, maybe longer in rush hour), and then the subway to Kendall (about five minutes).

I live in Brighton. Some parts are student-y like Allston, but it's generally cleaner with more green space. You can live fairly cheaper though. In general, I think Brighton rents would be cheaper than Cambridge's.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:14 AM

8 posts, read 20,543 times
Well, for anyone that told you to stay away from Dorchester, they do not know what they are talking about. Dorchester as a whole is about 1/3 of the entire city and so, yes, it does get a bad reputation as a whole. I live on Jones Hill and have been here for 7 years now, no problems. I wouldn't on the other hand live near Blue Hill Ave. But again, Dorchester is so big I am closer to the South End than I am to that part of Dot. You get more for your money and there are some great places here. Many young professionals have moved here in recent years and property values have increased. I have many single female friends that live here with no problems and take the Red Line, bus and commuter rail. Don't believe everything you hear and see unless you speak to someone who actually lives there and in the nice parts. Jones hill, Savin Hill, Boston St neighborhood, Pleasant St neighborhood are fine areas in North Dorchester and an easy ride to MIT.

And one more thing...I am not just saying this because I am a Realtor...I am just looking to set the record straight and educate people that don't know.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:44 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpschutt View Post
Well, for anyone that told you to stay away from Dorchester, they do not know what they are talking about. Dorchester as a whole is about 1/3 of the entire city and so, yes, it does get a bad reputation as a whole.

And one more thing...I am not just saying this because I am a Realtor...I am just looking to set the record straight and educate people that don't know.
This is true, Dorchester is vast and varied and there are nice areas but you have to familiarize yourself with the nuances of the place. One thing, though, is that none of them are up there with Central or Davis yet as far as nightlife and restaurants, etc. Not sure how much the OP cares about that stuff.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpschutt View Post
I have many single female friends that live here with no problems and take the Red Line, bus and commuter rail. Don't believe everything you hear and see unless you speak to someone who actually lives there and in the nice parts. Jones hill, Savin Hill, Boston St neighborhood, Pleasant St neighborhood are fine areas in North Dorchester and an easy ride to MIT.

How are the rental price for this area compare to JP, Allston and Brighton?

Also, how available are apartments there?

Old 01-20-2008, 06:43 AM

8 posts, read 20,543 times
Sorry I am just getting back to this now. You definitely get more for your money in Dorchester over any of the areas that you mentioned Smarty, whether you are looking to buy or rent. For example, a 500 SF one bed with an '80's kitchen and gross bath in Brighton is 1100-1200. In Dot you can get a completely rehabbed 770 SF 1 bed with AC in a beautiful Victorian on Jones Hill for 1000-1100.

And Holden, you are right that we don't have anywhere near the convenient nightlife of Davis or Central, but we are slowly making strides to get there and the prices definitely are reflective of that. We do have some spots that have become destinations in Dot though. dbar, Ashmont Grill, and the Blarney Stone to mention a few. And we sill have some major dives that appeal to some people.

One thing that this area has over others, and I have lived in JP, Davis and the South End is Community. I know all of my neighbors and hang out with them, but still have my privacy when I want it. Keep in mind that I am not saying other areas of the city DO NOT have this. There are exceptions to every rule.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:32 PM

137 posts, read 1,004,698 times
Davis Square is very nice and you could take the red line right down. Allston and Brighton are not so bad, but very young areas.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:36 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eslteacher View Post
Davis Square is very nice and you could take the red line right down. Allston and Brighton are not so bad, but very young areas.
Brighton is often lumped in with Allston. Allston is for the most part a very young area and this carries over to Brighton along Comm. Av. and around Cleveland Circle, but Brighton Center is not dominated by 20 year old students in the same way. There are a lot of lifelong locals of all ages and plenty of people 24-35. There are some bars and restaurants along Washington St. and Market St. but it's not a 24-hour party so you can't sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston