Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 11:01 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times

Advertisements

I wonder if these schols are discriminating and not hiring teachers of colour? More likely is that people of colour don't want to go into teaching due to the high work load and somewhat low pay. In Mass. in order to move up a new teacher has 5 years to earn their masters. That is a daunting task for many who lack time and money to make it happen.

I wouldn't be worried about white teachers teaching coloured kids but I would be worried about those kids arriving at school ready to learn. There are so many things today that pull at a kids attention span and ability to learn and having a poor home life with a single parent who doesn't have much money, a poor neighborhood like many inner city areas are coupled with unrealistic dreams of being a rapper or sports star really puts the kid and the teacher trying to teach in a tough spot. This of course goes for white kids too.
There is a lot more to it then the Globes idea that white teachers don't want to teach black kids.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:09 PM

398 posts, read 629,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I wonder if these schols are discriminating and not hiring teachers of colour? More likely is that people of colour don't want to go into teaching due to the high work load and somewhat low pay. In Mass. in order to move up a new teacher has 5 years to earn their masters. That is a daunting task for many who lack time and money to make it happen.

I wouldn't be worried about white teachers teaching coloured kids but I would be worried about those kids arriving at school ready to learn. There are so many things today that pull at a kids attention span and ability to learn and having a poor home life with a single parent who doesn't have much money, a poor neighborhood like many inner city areas are coupled with unrealistic dreams of being a rapper or sports star really puts the kid and the teacher trying to teach in a tough spot. This of course goes for white kids too.
There is a lot more to it then the Globes idea that white teachers don't want to teach black kids.
the globe will say what ever their corporate and government spin doctors tell them to say. the globe is a rag that should be tossed in the trash

Old 01-04-2015, 03:38 PM

374 posts, read 654,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

Are the schools discriminating against male teachers? I wonder about the absence of male teachers in K through 8. Males practically do not exist in such grades.

Would not a successful male teacher in those grades provide a demonstration to the students? Consider how many males never encounter a successful male role model. Seeing a male in a leadership role might be helpful for the young men.

A revision of the literature away from the sensitive "girls" reading list might help as well.

Does Holden Caulfield really sway the interest of children? Do boys really care about Holden's problems? Perhaps adults care more about such stuff. Perhaps kids just want to be kids. I suggest Tolkien for the reading list. Give them something exciting so that they would read on their own. Entice them to read. Get the kids to do things on their own.

These problems with reading lists and the teacher selection permeate the entire school system within the Commonwealth. It isn't just Boston.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:20 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ey View Post
Are the schools discriminating against male teachers? I wonder about the absence of male teachers in K through 8. Males practically do not exist in such grades.

If you've ever worked at a School of Education you'd know that there are very very very few males in the early childhood education program.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:53 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I have a friend who works at a charter school in Plymouth. He tells me that the kids there are under-performing because, though their parents chose the charter school for their children's success, these kids do not have the environment at home needed for that success. For example, these kids have to go home and work a part time job, or take care of their siblings because their parents (often single parents) have to put in long work hours. So, in a way, while many parents hope for their kids' success, their own situations prevent that very same success. It's really sad.
This is basically what I understand as well. Most children from broken or less stable homes don't do well in school and hence life. We can always point at exceptions but this is the case for the majority of them generation after generation. Stress at home during formative, impressionable years severely affects the cognitive development of children. This can happen within any racial group as well. I'm not saying racism and stereotypes aren't factors, but socioeconomics and home lives play a huge role. Providing the support missing at home is difficult for our teachers or education system to assume. I've read about studies where experimental resources were allocated to poorer/low performing schools in terms of both educational and emotional support (missing from home) and they saw strong results in terms of student success. The catch is that this was an experiment and cost a lot of money to find dedicated people to spent lots of quality time with these students. It's not realistic on a large scale.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:20 PM

78 posts, read 207,984 times
First of all Endanger is spelled "In danger". Second of all, the only thing in danger is America's cow towing to every whine and cry from minorities who "cannot learn" because the teacher happens to be white. It's a bunch of bull####! Why do we have to bend over backwards for black people when they don't do the same for whites. When a white child is senselessly beaten on a bus full of black kids WHERE IS THE JUSTICE? If the same happened to a black child there would be riots everywhere. Whites have become complacent amd weak. Heck, if blacks are so great then why is AFRICA SO DAMN POOR? Or is that white peoples fault too? LoL Get real everyone. 12% of the population that is black now controls the culture of 88% of the population through constant intimidation and phscological malicious domination. Wake up America! How many more white men jave to pretend to be black in order to fit in the county THEY BUILT.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:31 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyEX View Post
Heck, if blacks are so great then why is AFRICA SO DAMN POOR? Or is that white peoples fault too?

Um, ever read about the history of Africa?

Old 01-08-2015, 10:03 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blan View Post
according to the Boston Globe and this Liberal video blog. students of color are endanger educationally because of all of the white teachers who keep them from learning. you tube link - http://youtu.be/EAmk4uDKUPk?list=UU2...eVpjjbSnNARkuA
An interesting contrast is, Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall who insisted in 1950, black students needed to be immersed in classrooms of white students in order to advance. Separate but equal he indicated was not working, and Marshall indicated that it was the influence of the white students that would make the difference.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:05 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Um, ever read about the history of Africa?
Why? What is your version of Africa's history?

The entire continent was full of tribal black people living in the Stone Age. Along came the Europeans and while yes, they took advantage of the situation like what happened in North America with the native people and Australia with the aborigines. However, had Africa been left unmolested and undiscovered for the last four hundred years, that continent would still be a Third World continent and full of tribes of black people living in straw huts and hunting wild animals for food. They would still be considered poor by First World standards and without any written languages, science or medical knowledge. The natives would still be using witch doctors for cures.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:29 PM

2,723 posts, read 6,108,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Why? What is your version of Africa's history?

The entire continent was full of tribal black people living in the Stone Age. Along came the Europeans and while yes, they took advantage of the situation like what happened in North America with the native people and Australia with the aborigines. However, had Africa been left unmolested and undiscovered for the last four hundred years, that continent would still be a Third World continent and full of tribes of black people living in straw huts and hunting wild animals for food. They would still be considered poor by First World standards and without any written languages, science or medical knowledge. The natives would still be using witch doctors for cures.
If you insist on being this dumb you should at the very least invest in a filter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston