U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 17,911 times

Advertisements

I've read a ton of postings regarding parking at T stations and then taking the subway into downtown. I'm planning a 12 day visit to Boston this year and have been convinced to keep my car out of downtown

While many of the postings reference daily parking fees of about $3.75, one (Wikipedia) says there is a $4.50 overnight fee.

[1] Does anyone know for sure if the 24 hour charge is, therefore, $8.25?????

Also, the transit system website says "OVERNIGHT PARKING AT NON-GARAGE FACILITIES IS PROHIBITED". VEHICLES LEFT OVERNIGHT FOR MORE THAN 7 DAYS ARE REPORTED TO MBTA TRANSIT POLICE FOR PROCESSING FOR TOWING."

[2] I couldn't identify which parking facilities have garages and which, therefore, allow overnight parking. Does anyone know???

[3] Does leaving a vehicle in a garage facility for more than 7 days mean they will tow it out of the garage??? Or do they just mean that they're really slow at towing vehicles out of non-garage facilities where overnight parking is prohibited?????

Thank for your help
mjdry
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 11:48 AM

1,810 posts, read 9,962,541 times
Good try.. most commuter parking lot/garages are full by 7:30am.

I don't think they want you to park over night..

At the MBTA website, it says if it is a garage or not. (usually is if it is ove 1000 car capacity.)
MBTA > Riding the T > Parking

You may want to go to Logan Express lots in Braintree, Woburn, Framingham... $11/day or $66/wk. Then take the logan express into Boston airport.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:40 PM

142 posts, read 621,455 times
Where will you be staying? Will you be near an MBTA station? That will make a difference.
Since many lots fill up quickly, and used by daily commuters, the overnight parking rule is enforced.
Have you considered finding a lot close to a T station that will allow overnight parking, and going from there instead? For instance, there are a few hotels within walking distance of a T station outside of downtown that have overnight parking.
There are some T garages you can park overnight, but not many. They're typically shared with Amtrak. The station at the junction of I-95 and I-93 in Canton comes to mind.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:04 PM

The Amtrak station is in Westwood/Rt128... I'm not sure how long you can park... I think it is about $10/day for overnight parking. You can then take the commuter train into Boston.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:59 PM

142 posts, read 621,455 times
I think you're right. It's $3/day for MBTA parking, and $10/day for Amtrak parking. They have seperate entrances , but since they share a garage, I have no idea how they can tell which service you are using.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:25 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,045,926 times
Honestly most garages dont allow overnight parking. You have to be back typically before the subway shuts down.

also here's a tip
meters are typically free after 6pm so if you're going into town you can park at a meter pay $2 say at 4pm and then you're home free!

Good places to park are around Lechemere, Courthouse on Cambridge st. off route 28...

I also like the Wellington garage, and sullivan square lot tho sullivan can fill up, (there's a $6.00 side lot for overflow) its more than the main lot tho.

Alewife on the red line is pretty good too off route 2 in Arlington/Somerville.

For South of Boston Riverside on the Green Line is good.

for orange line (Oak Grove Malden/mEdford is good ) for non overnight

Sunday meters are typically free in the city
so dont worry about it, also you can park at some of the resident signs (check the sign first to make sure it says except or excluding sundays)
and same with the 2 hour limit and 1 hour limit signs...some bus stops also allow you to park on sundays or after 6pm so read the signs carefully so you dont get towed or a ticket.

Also Constitution beach on the Blue Line is good to park at as long as you're back before dark.
they will lock the gate and ticket or tow you if you leave your car there after dark
for daytime parking its cool
(orient Heights) Blue line

Wonderland has a lot in Revere, and Revere beach does too I believe.

If you dont mind taking the bus you can park for free in Arlington on Broadway or Mass Ave and take the 77 or 87 bus
77 bus goes to Alewife,
87 goes to Davis Square.

these are a few money saving tips

for ballgame parking try down near packards corner off Comm Ave. - toward Allston , behind the shaws supermarket, and try the meters. after 6pm free. so just pay a couple bucks come down at 4pm and walk or take the T to the game.
its about a 15 min walk to the ballpark.

-hope this helps

(For garages downtown
Boston common garage is pretty good tho most garages are pricey in boston)

Museum of Science garage on the green line is good ...
after 5pm I think its only like $5 or something

Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post
also here's a tip
meters are typically free after 6pm so if you're going into town you can park at a meter pay $2 say at 4pm and then you're home free!
Good trick.. just beware some streets are no stopping zone between 4-6pm.. They will tow your car away... and that's $$$$

Old 01-25-2008, 08:07 AM

80 posts, read 456,128 times
The lots do vary in price, and only some of the garage facilities (vs surface lots) allow overnight parking. The following link details this info (you have to choose which subway, commuter or ferry line).

MBTA > Riding the T > Parking

Essentially, most garage facilities let you park overnight for up to 7 days, and your car will get towed if left longer. Other facilities...ie surface lots....do not allow overnight parking at all. Alewife is a good bet, I think it is $5 per day.....but it does fill up on weekday mornings (especially if bad weather), so I would arrive on a weekend or later in the evenings to get a space. Also, there is a lot of traffic around the station during rush hour on weekday mornings and evenings.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:59 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,045,926 times
Default Alewfie traffic

To avoid traffic in alewfie, get the arrow map guide Eastern mass and highlight shortcuts .

You can find a great route from Mystic Valley Parkway medford that cuts between route 2 and 93 ...

You can also cut through arlington on Broadway ...and then down lake St, and then left onto the route 2 and you only have a short distance to go into the station this way. Or cut through belmont back roads from the south.

-jeff

You can also park for free along mass ave or broadway and take busses
77 goes to alewife and runs frequently
the 87 goes to Davis Square (after 7pm tho it only runs back to Clarendon hill) so park closer to Clarendon hill if you're going to be after 7pm return trip on the 87.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston