Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 03:37 PM

238 posts, read 326,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I know the opinions of us white folk carry no weight, but there have been several minority posters chime in on this thread disputing the claim Boston is a racist city.
You don't understand. If you're not black you're supposed to just sit back and be called a racist or 'privileged" because offering any rebuttal means you're "belittling black people's relevance."

Get with the program Calvin.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:55 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint922 View Post
I'm white and it's pretty obvious even to me that every person who posts in a "get over it, it's not racist" sort of way is talking from the other side. It's easy to say get over it when it doesn't directly affect you.
This guy gets it! I dont understand why others cant do this. You all won't even. RESPECT the different perspective but you want people to think yyoue Not prejudice. And to be perfectly honest. White people opinions on racism carries a little less weight because u live in a white world wwith infrequent black interaction. Once you acknowledge that youre soo much closer to understanding the problem. Black people also are less lonely to be honest with white people. Black people learn more about white people that vice Versa because its yall world. All many posters wanna do is get more and more frustrated with the black posters here. Its like yallre commenting on a city based off hearsay because u sent affected. I have male privilege and it doesn't kill me to admit it or to be a proponent for women'sright.s. But when its black people most people dont want to get on board.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:05 PM

264 posts, read 388,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydew View Post
You don't understand. If you're not black you're supposed to just sit back and be called a racist or 'privileged" because offering any rebuttal means you're "belittling black people's relevance."

Get with the program Calvin.
No, it's not about accepting that you are "racist" but at least have some empathy to the effect that someone's experiences would be different than yours simply because of skin color. JUST ACKNOWLEDGE that what these people are describing as THEIR perceptive is different because of that fact. It's that frustration that people like BostonMade are talking about, the refusal of this alone.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:16 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Very touchy subject this one! You don't really notice racism if you're white. Oh, you'd notice a sign that said "Whites Only" but they've taken those signs down. (White) posters here say they've felt unwelcome in various places too, so how can you say its racism? I've heard an interesting answer-- took me awhile to wrap my mind around it but I'm trying. The answer is-- It doesn't matter. If you're PoC-- especially if you're black--it comes across as racism. Doesn't matter whether the offender was just unsociable or shy or scared or whatever, if the other person is black it will feel like racism. If you see it that way then it makes sense that so many whites would say "what racism-- prove it" and blacks -- at least some -- would say sorry you don't get it but it's there.

Anyway, if things are better in Boston than they were after busing stirred the pot then that's great. I would assume they are for all the reasons Boston Born gives.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:52 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
15 pages on this thread of white people telling black people to "get over it"and "have a sense of humor."

But every post calling Boston a racist city has the white people jumping to resist the statement. Why aren't you guys just getting over it and having a sense of humor about your city's reputation?

Oh, the hypocrisy and the double standard...
I think people get very defensive over a subject like this and it is understandable since it is a very touchy subject.

Some people will put up defenses and push back against any notion that racism exists in Boston and that is downright wrong. At the same time as black folks we need to be more perceptive and admit that Boston is not especially racist and we just live in a country that has racial problems in general and of course Boston has no way to escape that plague.

I weighed in earlier with my view on the topic. I dont single out Boston as being especially racist and any black person that does really is not taking a step back and observing what is going on in the country as a whole. This is a national issue that manifests itself in different ways, equally distributed across state lines.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:08 PM

677 posts, read 672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Because were not dumb. Cliff. We have common sense. Its overwhelmingly white people who think that way..... "get over it" ( it doesn't matter if we belittle black peoples relevance). Or "have a sense of humor" (you should laugh when people make fun of black people, even if there was no joke told!)...if you were black you'd know EXACTLY what white people sound like when theyre being racist or telling you to get over racism because you'd have heard it your entire life. My guess is one person who hasnt said theyre black is gonna come forward and say something like "Im Asian" Id bet money. A lot of money.
"Because were not dumb." Classic.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:08 PM

2,723 posts, read 6,108,256 times
Again, I'm a white guy (sorry about that) but I'm also a lifelong Bostonian. When I heard 'Boston is a racist city', it offends me. Actually it p1sses off. Not only are you insulting me, but you're also insulting my family and my circle of friends. So whether you're black, brown, yellow or purple, I will fire back. I will ask questions. Your answer better not be 'the pretty white girl at the bar wouldn't talk to me' or 'my uncle said it was' (actual responses on CD btw). Then you can tell me I 'don't get it' all you want. I don't give a sh1t. I know who I am. I know what I represent.

Now if you say 'the world is a racist place', I'll get on board.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:19 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Now if you say 'the world is a racist place', I'll get on board.
I think you and I see completely eye to eye on this statement!

Old 01-29-2015, 06:18 PM

238 posts, read 326,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Also, a lot depends on your definition of racism. Because one poster gave on definition. Whats funny is we dont even think that the definition of racism was likely written by a white male. Is all the irish propaganda just cultural pride or is it a feeling that the irish are superior (in Boston) cause they have accumulated tremendous political and social power (superiority?) over other long disenfranchised groups...just a thought. Im sire we all have irish american people we know and care about but I'm just trying to dig deeper.

The Irish were indentured servants when they came to the US. They were treated like dirt by the Brits, they suffered a famine, and then came here and essentially became slaves until they made their lives better by harnessing political power. I think it's interesting that some black people act as if 1) whites invented racism (example: slavery was in full force in Africa long before the American slave trade) and 2) black Americans have a monopoly on suffering, social problems, and being victims of discrimination. They don't. Many of us have long histories of poverty and struggle in our family history, including long histories of discrimination. If you want white people to try to understand where you're coming from, you also have to show willingness to empathize with them, and be open to finding common ground. When you come with an "us verse them" mentality, you can expect nothing more in return. I would also add that when you continue to drive your arguments toward divisiveness between the races (like implying that the definition of racist originated by a white person) then divisiveness is what will logically result There are many black people who disagree with your beliefs. Are their opinion less valid? In your quest to define the Boston area as "racist" what is your underlying purpose? You say you want conversation about race. I would argue that those conversations are talking place all over Massachusetts. But in order for them to be conversations, they have to be actual discourse. When black people encounter opinions that they disagree with, it doesn't count as conversation if the response is to effectively "shut down" the conversation by labeling the dissidents as racists---an extremely common tactic by race merchants passing themselves off as "black leaders."

Last edited by scoobydew; 01-29-2015 at 06:40 PM..

Old 01-29-2015, 10:59 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
"Because were not dumb." Classic.
Check out the grammar and punctuaction game on this guy. Musta went to Harvard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston