Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 11:35 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,428,335 times

Advertisements

[quote=johnmayerlove1;38030594]HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! That's exactly how I feel. No brains in Miami vs. cool people in Boston

May I ask how much you were paying in Downtown?[/QUels.OTE]

$550 per month on Park Dr in the Fenway in 1993 for a 500 sq ft studio. You won't find that price now I suppose. You'll prolly hafta share with roommates. Prolly better that way though. Studio apts are kinda boring - sorta like hotel rooms vs hostels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 01:22 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,003,761 times
Just an FYI, but the Fenway isn't "right in the heart of Downtown" (Downtown is a specific neighborhood, not really a term people use to describe Boston proper).

Also, the rent has gone up a bit in 22 years....

Old 01-15-2015, 02:02 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,052,403 times
That $550 rent is probably closer to $2550 nowadays, assuming it's not a total dump.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:13 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,428,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Just an FYI, but the Fenway isn't "right in the heart of Downtown" (Downtown is a specific neighborhood, not really a term people use to describe Boston proper).
Well that's kinda a Boston thing. People from many places would certainly view the Fenway as pretty much the heart of downtown. Yes, I agree, many Bostonians use the term "downtown" to mean the same as "the Financial District" or maybe "Downtown Crossing", but from the view of many people from many places, you can't get much more downtown (small d) than the Fens. So let's clarify - small d downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post

Also, the rent has gone up a bit in 22 years....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
That $550 rent is probably closer to $2550 nowadays, assuming it's not a total dump.
Uh, yeah. $1550 actually. I googled available properties from my old landlord.

OP - I saw places available for as low as $500 in student areas on CL. decent shared apartments with nice but cash poor students of course. You'd hafta think in terms old an old unrefurbished building on MB, not some swanky Brickell highrise. But don't worry - we're not talking any Overtown battle zone, just modest older housing.

You might prefer to just pony up the 1500 for a year - live it up for a year and get your lay of the land.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:15 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,218,934 times
How easy is to get an apartment without proof of sufficient funds or employment?

I am not against being encouraging the OP to make the move, but I am not getting cavalier attitude about logistics, like rentals and job, let alone huge pile of student debts awaiting OP, so OP can live their dream on borrowed money.

Previous poster made it look like there are many great and cheap studio apartments smack in the middle of Boston, just waiting for OP.

OP you better have an immaculate credit history in that case.

OP proclamations "I am going to get job first", "No, I am actually applying to go to Law School here" are not making it clear where is actually OP headed to exactly?

Is Boston viable option without acceptance to school? Can you secure good job before you start school here? Can you survive in Boston high costs of living after going in the hole for about $45K tuition per year plus obligatory 2K health insurance, plus room and board while NESL? Probably around $60-70K a year.
Is this degree worth that much debt with median salary after graduation being around 50K?

Suffolk total budget for one year of school with living stipend is at $68K a year! That is whooping $204K in students loans, and even if you get some financial aid, you are in the hole for at at least $120K-150K after all is said and done. Third tier law school worth that much pain later on? Median salary for Suffolk graduate is "whopping" 70K.

OP I hope you will not take this the wrong way, but please if you can, consider applying to schools all over the US, including closer to where you are now, like in GA, AL, TN, even FL. You will be smart to compare costs of living and tuition, while getting an education, and even more so to understand what will be your student loan payment after you are done with school in three years. You deserve to live your dream, but you are also responsible not to put yourself in one way ticket to FL situation, after you graduate.

Why not get your law degree as cheap as you can, and then find a job here in Boston when your student debt payment is not as big as a monthly mortgage. Or consider better cheaper school after you are resident here first?

IMHO going into hole for close or over 200K, while attending not so well regarded law school (both are third tier in rankings, but very high in tuition) in one of the most expensive places in the US, is not necessarily the best way to get to a better state of affairs, and fulfill your dream to live in MA for good. Do not let yourself be too cavalier about student debt.

For what is it worth, I would take a long look at UNH and their Law School which is better ranked than the ones you are looking at right now, and very close to Boston so you can have your fun up North.

Good luck.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:29 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,666,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
How easy is to get an apartment without proof of sufficient funds or employment?

I am not against being encouraging the OP to make the move, but I am not getting cavalier attitude about logistics, like rentals and job, let alone huge pile of student debts awaiting OP, so OP can live their dream on borrowed money.

Previous poster made it look like there are many great and cheap studio apartments smack in the middle of Boston, just waiting for OP.

OP you better have an immaculate credit history in that case.

OP proclamations "I am going to get job first", "No, I am actually applying to go to Law School here" are not making it clear where is actually OP headed to exactly?

Is Boston viable option without acceptance to school? Can you secure good job before you start school here? Can you survive in Boston high costs of living after going in the hole for about $45K tuition per year plus obligatory 2K health insurance, plus room and board while NESL? Probably around $60-70K a year.
Is this degree worth that much debt with median salary after graduation being around 50K?

Suffolk total budget for one year of school with living stipend is at $68K a year! That is whooping $204K in students loans, and even if you get some financial aid, you are in the hole for at at least $120K-150K after all is said and done. Third tier law school worth that much pain later on? Median salary for Suffolk graduate is "whopping" 70K.

OP I hope you will not take this the wrong way, but please if you can, consider applying to schools all over the US, including closer to where you are now, like in GA, AL, TN, even FL. You will be smart to compare costs of living and tuition, while getting an education, and even more so to understand what will be your student loan payment after you are done with school in three years. You deserve to live your dream, but you are also responsible not to put yourself in one way ticket to FL situation, after you graduate.

Why not get your law degree as cheap as you can, and then find a job here in Boston when your student debt payment is not as big as a monthly mortgage. Or consider better cheaper school after you are resident here first?

IMHO going into hole for close or over 200K, while attending not so well regarded law school (both are third tier in rankings, but very high in tuition) in one of the most expensive places in the US, is not necessarily the best way to get to a better state of affairs, and fulfill your dream to live in MA for good. Do not let yourself be too cavalier about student debt.

For what is it worth, I would take a long look at UNH and their Law School which is better ranked than the ones you are looking at right now, and very close to Boston so you can have your fun up North.

Good luck.
Personally I think OP will have an easy time getting accepted. Lower tier law schools have suffered from shrinking enrollment for years and are pretty eager to boost their numbers.

Your questions about whether it's worth it or not are pretty legitimate, but that's not our problem because we won't be making his student loan payments for 20 years. IMO, it doesn't matter where he goes to school because it's going to cost serious money wherever that winds up being. It's important to go to school somewhere where you think you can have a decent quality of life which helps ease the stress.

Can OP afford Boston? Maybe, but he needs to plan out how that's going to work. If OP can find a part time law school program and keep working as a paralegal he'd be in better shape financially. Of course then he's up against the fact that he'll be taking the bar exam in his mid-30's and competing with people 10 years younger for entry level attorney jobs.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:41 PM

503 posts, read 1,197,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Mission Hill is a nice part of town especially the closer you get to t he Longwood Medical area by the Brigham. I really enjoyed living in that part of town, South Boston was a great place to live as well.
I lived right up the Hill from Brigham Circle. Calumet St.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:48 AM

719 posts, read 981,564 times
Boston is a superior city is pretty much every way imaginable, OP (okay, maybe not weather, but a lot of us New Englanders LIKE the cold). One thing you may notice is that Yankees are very... uh... abrupt people. We tend to be very forthright, and often come off as chilly ourselves. But dig a bit beneath the surface, and you'll find a lot of positive qualities like brotherhood and loyalty. Most people here have something to them... which is a stark contrast to, say, most of the West Coast, where what you see is pretty much what you get.

Oh, and if you love the Pats, tune into 98.5 the Sports Hub in the afternoons at your first opportunity. I frankly think Felger and Mazz is the best sports radio talk block in the country.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:36 PM

2,621 posts, read 4,019,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmayerlove1 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am planning on moving from Miami to Boston. Yes, I know, why would I want to leave precious sunshine, beaches, and amazing weather all year long for the cold?

Simply put, I am 28 years old, not married nor do I have children. I am applying for law schools and want to experience new culture, new people, and change. I have lived in Miami my entire life. I'm sick of the pretentious, arrogant and rude people here. I want to grow as a person. I want something new. Even if all fails and I come back to Miami after some time, at least I had the experience of living elsewhere. I have visited Boston twice and fell in love. Heck, even before I went, there was always something special that I found in Boston. It will be a massive change considering the nightlife here, food, my friends, my family, the beach, etc. are all things I am leaving behind, but I have made it a goal of mine to move at the end of 2015.

However, I have never seen snow, so I have no idea what it's like other than it's a pain in the butt. And the brutal winters I have heard are exactly that. Brutal.

Obviously, I need to find a job. An apartment. And be accepted to law school. I can't live in expensive downtown Boston, so what suburbs do you recommend? Someone suggested Southie for me as up and coming for young professionals. I made 44K now working as a Paralegal with 5 years experience. It's scary for me because I know the job market is way more competitive in Boston than in Miami.

Your advice and help is greatly appreciated!

P.S. I am a Patriots fan.
(Disclaimer: Some satire may be involved.)

I'm a bit late chiming here, but I'd like to comment on the bolded first. If that's one of your reasons for leaving, I should inform you that there are "pretentious, arrogant and rude," people in Boston also. The difference being you'll encounter those which currently attend/attended certain schools who see themselves as superior to those which currently attend/attended Suffolk or New England School of Law, because Harvard, BU, BC and Northeastern, look better on paper. You'll also encounter the morons who can't park/drive and do foolish things such as swinging from streetlight and flipping cars over when the Sox/Pats win and contemplate suicide or otherwise appear manic/bipolar when they lose, etc. Sure there are great people in Boston, but there are wackos and mean folks everywhere.

Given the two choices of schools I'd lean toward Suffolk as opposed to NESL. (To counter someone's suggestion of law school elsewhere, it would be easier to find a job after Law School in Boston if one has already finished school there. UNH School of Law (formerly known as Franklin Pierce Law Center), is nice, for small city, that's quaint from a New England perspective; however, Concord, NH, would likely be very isolating for someone coming from a larger/moderate sized, and multicultural city such as Miami.)

Here's a few things to expect (apart from Cost of Living, and the types of housing available):

1) Expect to constantly explain to people why you'd leave Miami for the Northeast, especially in the middle of winter.
2) Expect drastic weather changes (i.e. Several days of 15-20 degree temps will make the one or two 40 degree days seem like a "heat wave.")
3) Expect to invest in a few different coats. Given your profession, a Wool/Peacoat and a nice Trenchcoat are great options for your work attire. For other non-work/dress occasions you'll want a quality winter coat. (The North Face, L.L. Bean, and Columbia, are popular choices). One with a detachable fleece would make said cost more versatile with varying weather patterns. Otherwise, just buy a fleece separately.
4) Expect to dream of White Christmases (if not those, you'll discover merely cold, freezing rain/sleet versions). Mild winter temps are an anomaly here.
5) Expect more "New England Preppy" attire and more conservative colors (i.e. greys, navy, burgundy, khaki, black and brown), and layers.

Boston is a great place for those who are focused and driven, and meeting people from various parts of the U.S. (There won't be as much variety in Latin American culture as Miami, since Boston is mostly Puerto Rican and Dominican, but I don't think you're concerned about that. You'll have a good mix of everything else.)

Best of Luck!

Last edited by LexWest; 01-19-2015 at 09:50 PM..

Old 01-20-2015, 01:03 PM

316 posts, read 718,615 times
Just to chime in on the Latin American population for a moment...

There is actually a significant presence of people from a wide swath of Latin America. The Boston area has significant Colombian, Central American (mainly Salvadoran, Honduran and Guatemalan) and Peruvian communities, among others. There is a large Dominican presence and a smaller but still significant Puerto Rican population. East Boston, Chelsea, Revere, Lynn, Saugus, Waltham, Malden, Everett, Somerville and Cambridge all have sizable Latino communities, as do Dorchester, Roxbury, Roslindale, Jamaica Plain and many other areas around Boston (the latter bunch are more heavily Dominican and Puerto Rican; the first bunch is more mixed but trends more South and Central American.) Many of the aforementioned places have some good dining options in case you're ever missing the Latin flavor of Miami. Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston