Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 11:38 AM

54 posts, read 72,354 times

Advertisements

After a couple more years after collage, Boston is One city I would love to move to. (amusing I could find a job there) So my question is, what neighborhoods in the city I can find an 1 bedroom or a studio apartment to rent for about $1100-$1500 a month for rent??? I know rents have been rising so finding an apartment in this price range even possible? (sorry if this question sounds redundant)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,287 times
With your price range, you can get an apartment pretty much anywhere 2+ miles away from the downtown.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:44 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,754,792 times
I, and multiple friends of mine have one bedrooms (not studios) in Sullivan, Union, and Magoun Sq areas of Somerville for that. I don't know about in the city.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:53 PM

Ok thanks for the information, and what or where is somerville??

Old 01-22-2015, 12:17 PM

671 posts, read 894,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonFire View Post
Ok thanks for the information, and what or where is somerville??
Somerville is at the top of the map:
http://www.boston-discovery-guide.co...ap-links-6.jpg

Somerville would be the DAVIS stop, 2nd to the top of the red line:

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-26-2015 at 04:57 AM..

Old 01-22-2015, 12:30 PM

316 posts, read 719,130 times
Ok yes, but Somerville is much more than just Davis Square.

I highly recommend that anyone wondering where Somerville is check it out on a mapping web site. It's quite a large city that lies to the north of Cambridge, which itself lies across the Charles River from Boston. Davis Square is in the western portion of Somerville. A lot of Somerville is also walkable from Porter Square and even from Harvard and Central Squares if you don't mind a slightly longer trek on foot. There is also a portion at the eastern edge of the city that is walkable to Sullivan Square, which is a stop on the Orange Line. For other areas of Somerville, you can catch a bus from most of the aforementioned stations to different pockets of the city. There is also bus service to parts of Somerville from Lechmere, which is at the northeastern end of the Green Line. The MBTA has a trip planner on its website that may prove useful to you; I prefer the one built into one of the mapping sites (not sure if we can mention those by name here, but send me a private message if you don't know what I'm referring to, and I can point you in the right direction!)

Hope this is helpful! But seriously, look at a map - I don't mean that in a snarky way, but it will help you to get your head around the local geography a bit!

Incidentally, Somerville is great - lots to do, different squares across the city have different personalities, lots of great places to eat and drink, lots of younger folks, trending in the hip/artsy direction but with a healthy mix of different sorts of people from across the globe. Many other threads here on C-D can give you more specifics about the intricacies of the city should you want to know more.

Last edited by professeurpablo; 01-22-2015 at 12:40 PM..

Old 01-25-2015, 08:35 PM

Thank you for the maps. They will be very useful, and plus it allows me to enjoy spending a little time looking at maps.

Oh ya Im also a fine art major, two years to getting my BFA, (and I might get my MFA) so another question would be are there any opportunities in Boston for someone in this field? and What is the art scene like in Boston?

Old 01-26-2015, 08:42 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,754,792 times
Quote:
Thank you for the maps. They will be very useful, and plus it allows me to enjoy spending a little time looking at maps.

Oh ya Im also a fine art major, two years to getting my BFA, (and I might get my MFA) so another question would be are there any opportunities in Boston for someone in this field? and What is the art scene like in Boston?

Its very competitive. Lots of art school students here and music students here. Brutally competitive. As is Providence, which is cheaper and has a better arts scene I think (for its size), but has RISD grads competing.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:34 PM

238 posts, read 324,840 times
Quote:

Boston has some great arts schools, MFA School and Mass Art to name two. We also have some decent museums. The arts scene is OK, although I think much of it has been priced out of the city into outlying areas. Fort Point used to have a large arts district but much of it has been pushed out I think. They have some high-end studios in the South End now, as well as in Back Bay. That said, I think you would find the arts scene in the overall Greater Boston area to be pretty strong, including in the Somerville/Cambridge areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston