Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 07:42 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,362 times

Advertisements

Remember when Bobby Brown was shot in Roxbury back in the day. Going to BU and living in Mission Hill for a year, I miss the old Roxbury that part of Boston was off the chain back in the day. One of the few ghetto parts of the Bean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 01:42 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The "Black Lives Matter" folks need to get more blacks to become police officers so that they can police themselves. And see how they like getting shot at by criminals of all races. Instead of organizing protests to block the police just trying to do their jobs, that group should be organizing police recruitment events for blacks and minorities.
Yup! Your reading my mind!

Old 04-13-2015, 07:06 AM

728 posts, read 974,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Mel Steele | Boston Herald

Interesting that this story didn't get much attention. I guess protestors don't protest over black cops giving insider info to gang members.
Gang members have their own codes of justice and if it's ever discovered that you don't "Like" them for any reason, your life may be in danger.

So if you live in a neighborhood with a gang, would you speak out against them?

It's kind of tough knowing that the cops will just go back to patrolling while the criminals are always out on the hunt to catch a "snitch" or "hater" or whatever gangs call people they don't like these days.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Remember when Bobby Brown was shot in Roxbury back in the day. Going to BU and living in Mission Hill for a year, I miss the old Roxbury that part of Boston was off the chain back in the day. One of the few ghetto parts of the Bean.
Orchard Park was a pit. The fact that neighborhood has been gentrified is a huge part of why we've had a declining homicide rate. OP had several rivalries including some with a few of the most notorious gangs in the city. Humboldt, Lena Park, Harvard St., Seaver, Invervale, the list goes on and on.

As someone who used to live off of BHA, the city was certainly more vibrant and wild back then. I don't really miss it lol

Old 04-15-2015, 04:24 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Orchard Park was a pit. The fact that neighborhood has been gentrified is a huge part of why we've had a declining homicide rate. OP had several rivalries including some with a few of the most notorious gangs in the city. Humboldt, Lena Park, Harvard St., Seaver, Invervale, the list goes on and on.

As someone who used to live off of BHA, the city was certainly more vibrant and wild back then. I don't really miss it lol
OP was hell from what Ive heard. The area has been gentrified and its still ghetto as hell. Thats how bad it was. Even after this wave of gentrification in dudley..15 plus years after OP...it will still be ghetto lol. Crime will go down, but all thats left in roxbury are hardwrking poor immigrants, the bottom of the barrell, a few yuppies and an ever dwindling number of lower middle class families..and VERY FEW of them at that.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
OP was hell from what Ive heard. The area has been gentrified and its still ghetto as hell. Thats how bad it was. Even after this wave of gentrification in dudley..15 plus years after OP...it will still be ghetto lol. Crime will go down, but all thats left in roxbury are hardwrking poor immigrants, the bottom of the barrell, a few yuppies and an ever dwindling number of lower middle class families..and VERY FEW of them at that.
Orchard Park has a sister "Area" and that would be Lena Park. No one really knows Lena Park exists and it also hasn't been gentrified or undergone a name change.

They literally had to change the name for OP to Orchard Gardens because no one who knew the city (Public housing applicants included) wanted to live there. It's much safer now but man, it's still arguably one of the worst areas to be.

People talk about Bromley-Heath, Franklin Field, Humboldt and Intervale but OP gangbangers used to put the fear of God into the rest of the city. And this was the 90s.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:48 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Orchard Park has a sister "Area" and that would be Lena Park. No one really knows Lena Park exists and it also hasn't been gentrified or undergone a name change.

They literally had to change the name for OP to Orchard Gardens because no one who knew the city (Public housing applicants included) wanted to live there. It's much safer now but man, it's still arguably one of the worst areas to be.

People talk about Bromley-Heath, Franklin Field, Humboldt and Intervale but OP gangbangers used to put the fear of God into the rest of the city. And this was the 90s.
I used to play basketball all the time in Roxbury near the projects, never had a problem. This was in the early 00s. I used to tutor kids in Roxbury and Mattapan and parts of Dorchester never had a problem with anybody. I heard those areas and the projects that you described actually have gotten better. Boston has some bad neighborhoods but even the worst parts of Boston are nothing compared to Cities like Philly, Baltimore, DC and Camden NJ.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I used to play basketball all the time in Roxbury near the projects, never had a problem. This was in the early 00s. I used to tutor kids in Roxbury and Mattapan and parts of Dorchester never had a problem with anybody. I heard those areas and the projects that you described actually have gotten better. Boston has some bad neighborhoods but even the worst parts of Boston are nothing compared to Cities like Philly, Baltimore, DC and Camden NJ.
Yeah, I agree.

I was watching a movie about "Vine City" in Atlanta, and boy oh boy. I don't think anywhere in Boston or New England (besides Olneyville, Prov) is an actual "Lock your doors or you might jacked" type of place.

I used to play basketball over next to White Stadium in Roxbury, we had occasional issues with the local Seaver kids. Nothing grave though since we weren't affiliated with any crew.

Edit: Boston also experience a "Miracle" in the early 00s that is over now. The homicide and violent crime rate has been going up, but nothing crazy like the places you mentioned.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:14 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
Interesting...grew up right near Ruthven and Walnut, used to go to that store on Humboldt tons of times when I was walking to and from BLA (is there still a store? I haven't been through the old 'hood in years). I'd still move back to my old place if I could, despite this most recent shooting, always thought the area around Walnut street was decent enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston