Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 04:35 PM

11 posts, read 23,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Probably just a coincidence. I think I saw one was a middle schooler and the other is an adult. But then again, if you are really bored and registering several different accounts, I can almost see how it's fun to take on 2 different identities. The internet creeps me out.
Sorry! I have asynchronous so I am three different ages inside. I apologize for the whole mashup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 07:31 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
I'm not depressed at Pho Pasteur. Or Harvard Ave. Coolidge Corner is pretty cool. Comm Ave is scenic. Like the architecture. Pretty places. Tree-lined streets. Lots of pretty girls. People walking dogs. Trader Joe's. Annie's Tacos. IDK. Kinda like the neighborhoods. Kinda relaxing.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:41 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
I'm not depressed at Pho Pasteur. Or Harvard Ave. Coolidge Corner is pretty cool. Comm Ave is scenic. Like the architecture. Pretty places. Tree-lined streets. Lots of pretty girls. People walking dogs. Trader Joe's. Annie's Tacos. IDK. Kinda like the neighborhoods. Kinda relaxing.
Lol none of those places are in Brighton. And it's Anna's not Annie's and they've gone way downhill.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:45 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,362 times
OP also mentioned Allston, Newton and Brookline.

Also, Allston is part of Brighton.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:47 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
OP also mentioned Allston, Newton and Brookline.

Also, Allston is part of Brighton.
I see. It's up for debate whether Allston and Brighton are the same. And I'm not sure how the OP lumped one image into so many very different places.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:41 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,366 times
Allston-Brighten, IIRC, used to be an industrialized area back in the day. The slaughterhouses were located there, as were the big commercial bakeries (Dorothy Muriel's -- anyone remember them?) and probably some other food-prep businesses. Housing in such areas was put up hastily and as cheaply a possible to house as many workers as possible; hence, the triple deckers. All that is now long gone but it still retains that particular aura, I guess you'd call it. I personally don't see it as depressing, but that's me.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:54 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
What's depressing to me is to roll through Wayland on Route 30 and see all those unremarkable little ranch houses that are STILL too damn expensive for me to ever afford. As if I'd want to sentence myself to suburbia in the first place.

Want "depressing"? Roam the side streets of south Waltham while you wait for a window table at Solea to open up, or the Sunday crowds at In a Pickle to dwindle, or whatever. It's mostly drab white or gray apartment houses way past their prime, filled with the Caucasian downtrodden (many of them substance abusers, "recovering" and otherwise) and Spanish speakers who may or may not be here legally. The latter probably help keep lawn care in Wayland cheap. For a similar counterpart to the west I offer downtown Marlborough.

Maybe a good shrink (going rates still under $200/hour mostly) could help the OP process why the existence of people outside the Wayland income range is so troubling. How tough it must be.
Those side streets in Waltham used to be filled with Irish and French families. My father grew up on Taylor St. in one unit of a two family, eleven kids. It really was a great place back then.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:00 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I see. It's up for debate whether Allston and Brighton are the same.
They're not "the same", one is a part of the other, and it's not "up for debate", it's a matter of historical fact, dating back to the days when Brighton was an independent town in its own right, which included Allston.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:21 AM

728 posts, read 974,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
They're not "the same", one is a part of the other, and it's not "up for debate", it's a matter of historical fact, dating back to the days when Brighton was an independent town in its own right, which included Allston.
Mattapan used to be a section of Dorchester.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:04 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,835,893 times
Default La plus ca change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Mattapan used to be a section of Dorchester.
And, as someone recently pointed out in the Bay State Banner, Roxbury used to include Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, West Roxbury, the Fenway/Northeastern Univ area, Kenmore Sq, and the Longwood Medical area and, of course, Parker Hill/Mission Hill.

While many people still consider Mission Hill to be Roxbury, some of these historical changes are due to the history of annexations to Boston. The more recent reductions in Roxbury territory, according to the writer, are about defining Roxbury to be coexistent with the areas of predominantly black population.

Apparently Brookline was part of Boston once, then separated, and when Boston wanted it back in the 1870s, Brookline refused.

Brighton was part of Cambridge before it was independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston