Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 10:14 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Orwellian words: Vibrant. Diverse. It's like magic. And you get "better" for it. Though most of us know it's P.C. bull-crap. Harvard professor Robert Putnam did a study on diversity, and you know what he did with that study.....he hid it for several years; cause it showed what all honest, rational people understand: so-called 'diversity' does not work. We live in a delusional age.....

Uh, that's not was his study showed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 11:58 AM

6,569 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Uh, that's not was his study showed.
Pretty much, ya, that's what it showed. You don't think Putman hid the study for years because it was favorable to his personal ideology. In a nutshell: Putnam's study found that diversity hurts civic life. Saying the study found anything else in untrue. We are going off topic from what the OP asked, but if anyone wants to read about the whole sorry Putman affair at Harvard it's easy to find on-line.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 07-15-2015 at 12:23 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Pretty much, ya, that's what it showed. You don't think Putman hid the study for years because it was favorable to his personal ideology. In a nutshell: Putnam's study found that diversity hurts civic life. Saying the study found anything else in untrue. We are going off topic from what the OP asked, but if anyone wants to read about the whole sorry Putman affair at Harvard it's easy to find on-line.

And that is not what you initially said.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
And that is not what you initially said.
Pretty much....just semantics. You know what Putnam was getting at.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:20 PM

Semantics? The definition of words? The things we use to communicate?

Semantics are critical. Different words have different meanings.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Semantics? The definition of words? The things we use to communicate?

Semantics are critical. Different words have different meanings.
My point stands. If you can refute it, do it. Diversity hurts civic life. The actual report is even more devastating to the point I was making. Though I don't need someone like Putnam to point out the obvious, but I'll give him this: it was an extensive, multi-year study & he interviewed over 30,000 people. How Putman hid the report is an interesting read, and very telling.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 07-15-2015 at 01:35 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
My point stands. If you can refute it, do it. Diversity hurts civic life. The actual report is even more devastating to the point I was making. Though I don't need someone like Putnam to point out the obvious, but I'll give him this: it was an extensive, multi-year study & he interviewed over 30,000 people. How Putman hid the report is an interesting read, and very telling.

I read the actual report, thank you. As well as many of his interviews on the issue.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I read the actual report, thank you. As well as many of his interviews on the issue.
Good. So did I.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:43 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,331,831 times
Quote:
Orwellian words: Vibrant. Diverse. It's like magic. And you get "better" for it. Though most of us know it's P.C. bull-crap. Harvard professor Robert Putnam did a study on diversity, and you know what he did with that study.....he hid it for several years; cause it showed what all honest, rational people understand: so-called 'diversity' does not work. We live in a delusional age.....
So you would prefer to live around people that are just like you? Have you ever tried the alternative? Pretty soon you won't even have that option in MA as the country becomes more and more diverse. You may need to move to Vermont.

And diverse and vibrant are two completely different things, not sure how you can lump those together.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
So you would prefer to live around people that are just like you? Have you ever tried the alternative? Pretty soon you won't even have that option in MA as the country becomes more and more diverse. You may need to move to Vermont.

And diverse and vibrant are two completely different things, not sure how you can lump those together.
Go whine to all the liberals in blue-state Vermont who like to live around people just like themselves....don't extrapolate my discussion of diversity on where I might wish to reside. BTW I see you all over the internet trying to justify sending your kids to the wretched Somerville school system....guilty much ? How do you like me guessing you personal motives ? I hinted to the last poster that we were going off topic so let me strongly hint to you to take this discussion elsewhere if it's that important to you.

If you want to start a discussion on the merits of diversity on the politics forum I suggest you go for it. I'll pop in & give my 2cents. I don't want to aggravate the mods here anymore than I already do They do enough as it is. So I'm done.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 07-15-2015 at 05:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston