Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:07 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,666,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
The only drug I have ever seen being done out in the open here is marijuana and i'm ok with that.
I've seen people shoot up heroin in the open in Harvard Square. I also saw a corpse with a sheet on it sit for hours on a bench waiting for the medical examiner. You don't see this kind of crap in the suburbs on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 10:13 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,785,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I've seen people shoot up heroin in the open in Harvard Square. I also saw a corpse with a sheet on it sit for hours on a bench waiting for the medical examiner. You don't see this kind of crap in the suburbs on a regular basis.
I saw nothing like this until I moved to the city.

Quite a change from the "mind numbing" suburbs I grew up in. It didn't take long before it became part of the vibrant pulse of the city life I now live.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
I saw nothing like this until I moved to the city.

Quite a change from the "mind numbing" suburbs I grew up in. It didn't take long before it became part of the vibrant pulse of the city life I now live.
Personally these things don't bother me that much. However, it certainly is a reason why people often choose to raise their kids in the suburbs. It's one thing to turn a blind eye to it. It's another to pretend these things are perfectly normal and good for kids to be exposed to.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:32 AM

3,849 posts, read 5,248,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Personally these things don't bother me that much. However, it certainly is a reason why people often choose to raise their kids in the suburbs. It's one thing to turn a blind eye to it. It's another to pretend these things are perfectly normal and good for kids to be exposed to.
Those things are not healthy for a child to be exposed to, it is definitely one of the drawbacks of living in an urban environment where everyone mixes together. With that said people should be more concerned about their child abusing drugs rather than being exposed to seeing them abused out in the open. The Opiate and Heroin epidemic in Mass has shown how widespread drug abuse is everywhere in the State, not only urban areas.

I am one of those parents that has chosen to remain in "the city" and send my child to Cambridge Public Schools. From my research I feel comfortable with the decision, hopefully it turns out as well as I hope.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:42 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,320,888 times
I have lived in many cities for 20 years and never seen anyone shoot up. I always hear about how suburbs are safer, but the reality is that the #1 killer of teens is car accidents, and if your kids grows up somewhere where they don't even drive, they are way ahead of the safety curve to begin with.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
I have lived in many cities for 20 years and never seen anyone shoot up. I always hear about how suburbs are safer, but the reality is that the #1 killer of teens is car accidents, and if your kids grows up somewhere where they don't even drive, they are way ahead of the safety curve to begin with.
Congratulations. Because you haven't seen it it never happens.

I think car vs pedestrian accidents happen far more often in cities.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:27 AM

32 posts, read 37,135 times
Could someone please reply to my question? Are there any public elementary schools that are more desirable than others in Boston?

Old 07-20-2015, 10:05 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,395,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhavengal View Post
Could someone please reply to my question? Are there any public elementary schools that are more desirable than others in Boston?
I grew up in Boston, had upper middle class parents, public school was not an option. Based on your budget it sounds like the same. Avoid BPS. Neighborhood schools are dead in Boston due to busing. Buying into a nice neighborhood is no guarantee.

The test schools are good but that depends on the grade level of your kids.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:19 AM

596 posts, read 811,629 times
New Haven, there are some elementary schools people feel okay sending their kids to. Ones I can think of are the Kilmer (West Roxbury), Eliot (North End), Haley (Hyde Park), Manning (JP), and Henderson (Dorchester).

Old 07-20-2015, 10:26 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,395,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
New Haven, there are some elementary schools people feel okay sending their kids to. Ones I can think of are the Kilmer (West Roxbury), Eliot (North End), Haley (Hyde Park), Manning (JP), and Henderson (Dorchester).
But it is important to emphasize that these slots are not performance based and are the luck of the draw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston