Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 08:03 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,178 times

Advertisements

No doubt, network effect is real.

Richmond has industries which are like that - much to my surprise it's one of the advertising capitals of the US. And fortune 500 type jobs are pretty plentiful. Finance is less so, and IT much less so - if you are doing IT at capital one, and leave, it seems like the Federal Reserve is the main option.

Thing is, in order to have vast choice of jobs, you really only have a few cities to choose from, and they have to be pretty huge. Much easier to be entrepreneurial than Boston though, which makes it as tough as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 10:09 PM

115 posts, read 99,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Beaches aren't necessarily alongside oceans. In another forum such as the 2 mentioned above, throw out the possibilities of Buffalo and Cincinnati (choices made based on core-city population.) Both are national laughingstocks along with Detroit. Plus, I was born/raised in the area of the latter & vow to never return if I can help it. However, financial-service jobs are plentiful and the distance from Boston smaller. As for beaches, those would be found along the Great Lakes ("right at" Buffalo and a 4-5 hour drive from Cincinnati.)
Both are colder cities than boston

Old 08-18-2015, 10:11 PM

115 posts, read 99,984 times
incase it hasnt been said- Austin, TX.
Hot managabe heat.
Managable crime.
Very growing city.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:42 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,171 times
I'm in Central VA right outside of Richmond, No shortage of New Englanders here! Cheap COL, good schools, awesome area with everything you could ever need only minutes away. Much better weather but still have 4 seasons. Lot of huge companies here as well as lots of Gov't so the economy states in good health. Other plus is since VA isn't the "real" South their no real culture shock. TX is good too, but that place isn't "warmer" it's a friggen steam bath, even been there in summer? Not enjoyable at all. The other plus here is the COL is low while the pay is still good. Much easier to stay ahead of the game here than a place down south where the COL is low, but so is the pay.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Yeah, I'd take VA over TX. Even spring in TX was too hot for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston