Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 07:51 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,728,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Columbus is a metropolitan area of 2 million people.... "College town?"

Yes, absolutely. You seem to have a lack of a grasp of what that is. It's a cultural issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
While Boston is a pro sports town, there are pockets of college sports fans living in the area. I work with a girl who went to the University of Arkansas and she meets up with a group of 10-18 (depending on the game) to watch their games. At that same bar, there are groups of alums from LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Miss State, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Alabama.

I know Florida State has their Boston alum bar at Brownstone and they usually get a pretty big turnout for their football games.

Well this is a huge thing. Not a small thing. Michigan has, last I heard, three bars here. Wisconsin one. Almost all the B10 teams have at least one. As do the ACC, SEC, and PAC10 teams. I'm sure the Big 12 do as well, but I don't know any of them.

Wisconsin shares, currently, a bar with LSU.

And usually it is more than 10-18. For small games (early out of conference) there may be 20-30, for a bigger game 200+. And WI doesn't have a large contingent compared to many.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:00 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,322,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, absolutely. You seem to have a lack of a grasp of what that is. It's a cultural issue.
Please bro. I went to Ohio state. I lived in Columbus. You have zero understanding of the "culture". Give me a break.

Typical know it all.

Madison's metro is 250k
Ann arbors is 350
Columbus is 2 million

Just think about the ridiculousness of that. Is Ohio state a big thing there? Yes. Mostly because of football. The same way that New England is (creepily) obsessed with the patriots. Or any big city follows their pro team. I don't know how a state capital with large banking and finance and insurance industries as well as bein the founding locations of international companies such as Wendy's and limited brands can be pidgeon holed as a "college town".

Last edited by bjimmy24; 08-17-2015 at 08:09 AM..

Old 08-17-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Please bro. I went to Ohio state. I lived in Columbus. You have zero understanding of the "culture". Give me a break.

Typical know it all.
Then you know Columbus is a college town. Much like Ann Arbor, Madison, Iowa State, Athens, etc. I lived in Madison (college town), Burlington (college town) and other places that aren't college towns (Boston, despite having many universities is not a "college town"). The distinction is quite clear most of the time.

And it isn't knowing "it all". It is knowing a bare minimum.

And I am not your, or anyone's: bro.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Then you know Columbus is a college town. Much like Ann Arbor, Madison, Iowa State, Athens, etc. I lived in Madison (college town), Burlington (college town) and other places that aren't college towns (Boston, despite having many universities is not a "college town"). The distinction is quite clear most of the time.

And it isn't knowing "it all". It is knowing a bare minimum.

And I am not your, or anyone's: bro.
So Columbus has about 2 million more people than Madison bro. Burlington has 50k people. Have you ever been to Columbus in your life?

I don't know why you're so insistent on talking about things you are objectively ignorant of.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
So Columbus has about 2 million more people than Madison bro. Burlington has 50k people. Have you ever been to Columbus in your life?

I don't know why you're so insistent on talking about things you are objectively ignorant of.
Several times. It isn't about the size of the town/city (Austin area is over 1.5 mil and a college town... though one could say that Austin is transitioning from it to more and has been for a decade). So you don't really get it. That's ok. No shame in admitting that!

Old 08-17-2015, 08:25 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,880,992 times
I know this is Old but ND seems to be popular in Boston

https://marketing-and-branding.knoji...rish-football/

Old 08-17-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Several times. It isn't about the size of the town/city (Austin area is over 1.5 mil and a college town... though one could say that Austin is transitioning from it to more and has been for a decade). So you don't really get it. That's ok. No shame in admitting that!
Yup, I'll defer my 5 years in Columbus and a lifetime of visiting my relatives there to you "several times" of having been there. You're a joke.

Austin is also not a college town. Austin is more famous for sxsw than university of Texas nowadays. I find it funny that you think diverse areas of millions of people can be so simply viewed.

I have a feeling I'm talking to someone quite a bit removed from my generation, so I might actually excuse your ignorance of modern reality in these cities. It's ok, don't worry about it.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Yup, I'll defer my 5 years in Columbus and a lifetime of visiting my relatives there to you "several times" of having been there. You're a joke.

Austin is also not a college town. Austin is more famous for sxsw than university of Texas nowadays. I find it funny that you think diverse areas of millions of people can be so simply viewed.

I have a feeling I'm talking to someone quite a bit removed from my generation, so I might actually excuse your ignorance of modern reality in these cities. It's ok, don't worry about it.

This is why I said it is transitioning. Reading is hard! And it isn't about what it is "famous" for either.

And my I've been to Columbus this past fall, so not that long ago, youngin. Been there multiple times over the past few years, and not just for games. It's definitely still a college town.

I know the people there like to think they've surpassed that. Typical Ohio thinking that they're bigger and better. Oooh, they even have a NHL team!

Nope, college town through and through. Nothing more, nothing less. You could drop another 2 million people there and it wouldn't change that.

It's ok. You're not a college town. You're more like Boston or Los Angeles. A significant city that happens to have a large University population I hope that makes your bruised ego feel better. Run along.

BTW, saying someplace is a college town is generally a compliment by most people. No reason to feel all ___ hurt over it. Bro.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
This is why I said it is transitioning. Reading is hard! And it isn't about what it is "famous" for either.

And my I've been to Columbus this past fall, so not that long ago, youngin. Been there multiple times over the past few years, and not just for games. It's definitely still a college town.

I know the people there like to think they've surpassed that. Typical Ohio thinking that they're bigger and better. Oooh, they even have a NHL team!

Nope, college town through and through. Nothing more, nothing less. You could drop another 2 million people there and it wouldn't change that.

It's ok. You're not a college town. You're more like Boston or Los Angeles. A significant city that happens to have a large University population I hope that makes your bruised ego feel better. Run along.

BTW, saying someplace is a college town is generally a compliment by most people. No reason to feel all ___ hurt over it. Bro.
Well, folks, there you have it, the reason most of the country thinks New England people are insufferable. Timberline has demonstrated it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston