U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 12:49 AM

10,739 posts, read 32,817,866 times

Advertisements

I personally didn't care for Legal seafood, its a chain. I feel the authentic Boston Seafood can be had at much better locations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 03:50 AM

1,810 posts, read 9,923,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I personally didn't care for Legal seafood, its a chain. I feel the authentic Boston Seafood can be had at much better locations.
Ok.. Legal Seafood is not good.... Your previous suggestion of Anthony Pier4 is much better? any other seafood suggestions?

Old 02-01-2008, 06:12 AM

2,123 posts, read 3,805,097 times
Default Cambridge in the '70s

Don't forget the Inn Square Men's Bar, Willdufauve. That was a great spot and a haunt of Spider John. And the Orson Welles theater--always liked the sunken restaurant there and movie stills projected on the wall. And Legal was just a checkered tablecloth place on Beacon St in Inman Square then, wasn't it? And parking your car (if you had one) in the pothole-filled streetcar yard where the Kennedy School and Charles hotel have been built since.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:23 AM

10,739 posts, read 32,817,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Ok.. Legal Seafood is not good.... Your previous suggestion of Anthony Pier4 is much better? any other seafood suggestions?
If memory serves Jimmy's on the Peir was also good, I believe it was just down from Peir 4.

Peir 4 is a Boston institution, the success story of the family that started is an amazing and heart warming story. When I was a child, Anthony stood at the door to greet his guests, then when I returned to the area in the early 90s I found Anthony, a little greyer but still greeting people at the door. I read an article about him in Forbes that pointed out he continued to personally greet his guests until he passed away in 2005, now his son has taken his place.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:38 AM

739 posts, read 1,964,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Don't forget the Inn Square Men's Bar, Willdufauve. That was a great spot and a haunt of Spider John. And the Orson Welles theater--a .
We must sound like old fogies...but those really were the good old days!

Not to forget the Club 47 (later Passim's) in Cambridge for great music and the Black Rose Irish pub in Boston for great times with friends.

There was a feminist vegetarian restaurant on Broadway in Cambridge that I liked the home-cooked style food and homey atmosphere....can't remember the name, maybe Good Times?

Old 02-01-2008, 02:24 PM

66 posts, read 219,538 times
The Orson Welles burned down years ago.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:36 PM

406 posts, read 1,385,762 times
If you're walking the Freedom Trail or just hanging out in the Faneuil Hall area, I recommend Purple Shamrock for some clam chowdah and a pint of Murphy's stout. That's one place I usually take out-of-town visitors. Service can be slow, but the chowder really is great.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:04 PM

2,123 posts, read 3,805,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
Not to forget the Club 47 (later Passim's) in Cambridge for great music and the Black Rose Irish pub in Boston for great times with friends.
Not at all-- Passim was famous. Black Rose may still be there but a place that had a few good years and then gave up the ghost was Matt Talbot's on Berkeley St in the South End. Opened New Years Eve 1975, terrific Irish music there while it lasted.

Apologies to all you people living in the present--this isn't helping much with finding a true Boston restaurant. I was thinking Durgin-Park along with City Girl 52 and was surprised to read people's responses that it's no good any more. Anthony's Pier 4 is certainly an institution but if the OP's mate doesn't care for fish then seems not so good. What about the Hilltop? Now that's a classic. More seriously, Amrhein's on West Broadway has classic atmosphere, not so sure of the food. But the real thing for true Boston flavor and atmosphere is the Locke-Ober cafe on Winter Place. That is where you should go. Costly but the real thing.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:12 PM

639 posts, read 3,316,936 times
YES Locke-Ober's, I was there a few years ago for our Christmas dinner with friends! Get there JFK Lobster Stew if you go there!

Up on the North Shore these days in Saugus, instead of the Hilltop every one goes to Jimmy's Steer House on the other side of Rte 1, it's quite good there and always packed with people, not like the Hilltop but close, there steaktips and crabmeat pie is to die for! There's the original one in Arlington too of course. This one in Saugus is pretty good and it's instead of the Hilltop which went downhill quite a bit.

Amrhein's in Southie has new owners, it's not the same as before, but it's still pretty good, just more expensive.

The Legal Seafoods are all different, the Kendall Square location will always be #1 in my book, for their cuisine and atmosphere, it's great there. Another one that we go to is downstairs at their Park Square location in Boston, it's quite good there too, if you dine upstairs it's too hectic and noisy, since they renovated it? The Pru has a Legal Seafood now and I had lunch there a few weeks ago, it was very very good. So that's on the list now too. Forget the rest of them, they're all so different because it's being run by different managers all over town. They ruin a good thing when they have too many of them. We usually stick with the Kendall Square one and downstairs at Park Square, but the Pru Shop's Legal's? Was very very good, some times when these restaurants are too crowded they foul things up, but not that afternoon.

Go to the Pizzeria Regina for a pizza, talk about authentic Boston? My mother went there over 70 years ago down in that North End or go to La Summa's on Fleet Street for dinner some night.
Limoncello's at North Square? The owner is from Somerville originally I think and he used to work in one of the restaurants in the North End for years and one day he won the lottery and opened Limoncello's! It's GREAT here! Check it out some night! Mamma Maria's is quite good too and so isn't the Daily Catch and Giacomo's, look for any of these if you're in the North End wondering where to have dinner! There's SO many gems, I'll never have a favorite one over there! They're all classic in their own special way actually, so for that "classic Boston" flavor & atmosphere? Go right to the North End! You'll never go wrong at any of their restaurants:

Your gateway to the North End in Boston

Good luck!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 02-02-2008 at 12:24 AM..

Old 02-01-2008, 11:34 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,019,538 times
Default North End and Somerville Davis Square etc. Cambridge Harvard Square

Try the North End ! Its a great place or any of the Irish PUBS...as well as some local sports bars near the Boston Garden or down by Kenmore Square.

I would personally suggest
G'Vannis
near paul revere's house

G'vanni's
4.5 star rating
based on 25 reviews
Rating Details »

Category: Italian [Edit]
Neighborhoods: Charlestown, North End
2 Prince Street
(between Garden Ct St & Hanover St)
Boston, MA 02113
(617) 720-3663
Welcome to G'Vanni's Ristorante

I also like LA Summa

La Summa
4 star rating
based on 19 reviews
Rating Details »

30 Fleet St
(between Garden Ct St & Moon St)
Boston, MA 02113
(617) 523-9503

I also like Massiminos some of the bruins eat here. its the closest one to the garden besides Fillipos

Massimino's
4 star rating
based on 19 reviews
Rating Details »

207 Endicott St
(between Causeway St & Lafayette Ave)
Boston, MA 02113
(617) 523-5959
Welcome to Massiminos Cucina Italiana!

Its off the beaten path in the north end but worth it

For more look on yelp.com
Italian Boston | Yelp

Modern Pastry Shop
4.5 star rating
based on 107 reviews
Rating Details »

Categories: Bakeries, Coffee & Tea, Desserts [Edit]
257 Hanover St
(between Board Aly & Parmenter St)
Boston, MA 02113
(617) 523-3783
bakeries, italian specialties, nougats | Modern Pastry | Boston, MA

Galleria Umberto
4.5 star rating
based on 25 reviews
Rating Details »

Category: Pizza [Edit]
289 Hanover St
(between Lathrop Pl & Parmenter St)
Boston, MA 02113

You want to check out the pastry shops in the north end

Try Mike's but also Modern Pastry on Hanover and

Maria's Pastry Shop
4.5 star rating
based on 19 reviews
Rating Details »

Category: Bakeries [Edit]
46 Cross St
Boston, MA 02113
(617) 557-4925

here's some suggestions:

NORTH END (ITALIAN) :

Salumeria Italiana

5 star rating
151 Richmond St
(between Bakers Aly & Hanover St)
Boston, MA 02109
(617) 523-8743

Salumeria Italiana - Charlestown - Boston, MA

Dolce Vita
4 star rating
based on 36 reviews
Rating Details »

221 Hanover St
(between Board Aly & Cross St)
Boston, MA 02113
(617) 720-0422
Dolce Vita Ristorante

Giacomo's
4.5 star rating
based on 79 reviews
Rating Details »

355 Hanover St
(between Bennet St & Clark St)
Boston, MA 02113
(617) 523-9026

Saraceno
4 star rating
based on 21 reviews
Rating Details »

286 Hanover St
(between Lathrop Pl & Parmenter St)
Boston, MA 02113

SOMERVILLE

LIL VINNYS ITALIAN

Lil Vinny's Ristorante
4.5 star rating
based on 33 reviews
Rating Details »

525 Medford St
Somerville, MA 02145
(617) 628-8466
Welcome to Lil' Vinnys Ristorante in Somerville, MA

Also try the Davis Square and Porter Square areas of Somerville as well as harvard Square area in Cambridge.. Also Kenmore square as I said in Boston and any irish pubs in the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or