Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 07:56 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,322,586 times

Advertisements

Sounds like it's the job or your boyfriend. I know if my gf wanted to move to a place thousands of miles away forcing me to give up a job that is quite specific to where I had been living and needing to find something else Ina city I'd never been to/lived in that is pretty much nothing like where I was, I'd pass. Living off on income is definitely not ideal, but I guess that would depend on what that income was and where you wanna live here.

But I guess I should also say, If it were me with the job offer, I'd also move and ditch the significant other. Plenty of young singles in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 08:42 AM

974 posts, read 1,883,390 times
Yes, there is a strong, underground surf culture from Maine to RI. Lots of cross-disciplines.

Yes, the water is freaking cold for a SoCal native and NE natives. He might wear hus winter suit all year round.

Combined with the cooler weather and water temps is the less laid back attitude and the long, snowy winters.

But, no reason why you can't split the time between both locales as you try this new job out.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:51 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,973,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
Yes, there is a strong, underground surf culture from Maine to RI. Lots of cross-disciplines.
Not sure how many full-time jobs it supports, though. I guess there might be one or two surf shops down by Point Judith?

Old 09-25-2015, 09:55 AM

There may be a small tiny group of enthusiastic surfers somewhere in New England, but it's too small to even really mention, especially to someone who works in the industry in Southern California. Just not even comparable.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:56 AM

596 posts, read 977,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligal04 View Post
I am trying to decide if I should even consider a new position in Boston. I currently live in Orange County have a job that I like ok, but it is not a long term play. I see more longevity in the position in Boston, but it would be a huge change and a lateral move. My boyfriend works in the surf industry and is not at all excited to move to East Coast with the congestion and the weather. They have asked me to come out to interview, but I don't even know if I want to entertain the idea. Any advise would be great. I imagine that the cost of living would be comparable, but the lifestyle change would be huge.

My boyfriend would have to quit his job for the short term and try to find something in Boston. Do you think its unreasonable to live off one income? How much of an income increase should I expect?

The company just moved to downtown and it seems like a great company, but is that worth the other risks?

I grew up near L.A. and I also love living here (Cambridge). Yes the lifestyle is a lot different, but that could be a good (or bad) thing for you. If you don't embrace density/walkability, diversity, history, the 4 seasons, etc. then you probably will not like it here.

Also it is bad enough to give up a career opportunity for someone who is your spouse, let alone someone who is just your boyfriend or girlfriend. No matter which decision that you make one person will have to compromise, and that person will almost certainly make the other person pay in subtle (and not so subtle) ways for the remainder of your relationship. I agree with the above poster who said that it's the job or the boyfriend.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-29-2015 at 02:22 PM..

Old 09-25-2015, 10:40 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,728,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Not sure how many full-time jobs it supports, though. I guess there might be one or two surf shops down by Point Judith?

There are at least a dozen in New England, but yeah, small comparatively .

Old 09-25-2015, 02:00 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,775,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligal04 View Post
I am trying to decide if I should even consider a new position in Boston. I currently live in Orange County have a job that I like ok, but it is not a long term play. I see more longevity in the position in Boston, but it would be a huge change and a lateral move. My boyfriend works in the surf industry and is not at all excited to move to East Coast with the congestion and the weather. They have asked me to come out to interview, but I don't even know if I want to entertain the idea. Any advise would be great. I imagine that the cost of living would be comparable, but the lifestyle change would be huge.

My boyfriend would have to quit his job for the short term and try to find something in Boston. Do you think its unreasonable to live off one income? How much of an income increase should I expect?

The company just moved to downtown and it seems like a great company, but is that worth the other risks?
I grew up in the Boston area, went out to Los Angeles for about 5 years after college and then moved back here a few years ago. The biggest changes will be the weather and landscape, imo. Cost of living is going to be a push as both areas are on the expensive side. The LA area is a lot bigger and a lot more spread out than here. Boston has a pretty extensive transit system that a lot of people have no issues using. In LA the attitude towards mass transit is a lot different. I found road traffic to be worse in LA than it is here. I am not saying things run smoothly here, but the highways (freeways) do not get as bad as they do in SoCal.

Has your BF ever been to Massachusetts? It might be worth coming here for a few days with him so he can get an idea of the area.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-29-2015 at 02:23 PM..

Old 09-25-2015, 02:06 PM

6 posts, read 8,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post

Has your BF ever been to Massachusetts? It might be worth coming here for a few days with him so he can get an idea of the area.
Yea, we went to visit my family over New Years last year. He liked the historic part of the city and the runs along the Charles, but hated the cold. And he said everyone seemed so angry, ha. It would be a huge sell on my part to get him to relocate. That being said, we are super outdoorsy and I know he would love traveling around NE at least in the warmer months . I think a lot of the other posts are accurate, boyfriend or job...as unfortunate as that is.

I am in my mid thirties so I do want to settle down at some point and this would either be a stretch for him or a start over for me. Maybe I could convince him on a short time??

The other thing is that I was recently promoted in my current job and the new job would be a step backward from my new title.... Lots of things to weigh out.

I appreciate all the comments! Thank you!! I am going to be going out to interview in about a week.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-29-2015 at 02:24 PM..

Old 09-25-2015, 02:21 PM

974 posts, read 1,883,390 times
No, there ARE opportunities --even in Boston-- and you don't have to be blonde haired, blue eyed surfer dude.

http://chinosurfboards.com

The surf culture is there even if you're not aware of it. IF the BF wanted to, there are opportunities. Of course hot as many as SoCal, but for crying out loud, we're surrounded by ocean! It'd be different if OP was moving to Kansas.

Just depends on the relationship.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
No, there ARE opportunities --even in Boston-- and you don't have to be blonde haired, blue eyed surfer dude.

http://chinosurfboards.com

The surf culture is there even if you're not aware of it. IF the BF wanted to, there are opportunities. Of course hot as many as SoCal, but for crying out loud, we're surrounded by ocean! It'd be different if OP was moving to Kansas.

Just depends on the relationship.
Come on, let's not mislead the people here.

Just did a job search for "surfing" on indeed.com. Boston yielded five results, Los Angeles? Over 100. It's ok , Boston is a fine city in many ways but surfing is simply not one of them. I would never move here banking on finding a job even somewhat related to surfing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston