U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:51 PM

9 posts, read 97,241 times

Advertisements

Looks like I will soon be relocating to Boston or Cambridge. I have done some research already on pools but I am not coming up with too many options or much detail.

Right now I live in Seattle and use 24 hr fitness and their pool. I have access 24hrs. I've used our community pools out here as well in the past. I am noticing many of the pools listed are outdoors in Boston. I am looking for solid indoor lap pools to try and go visit on our trip in the next week.

Any information would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 08:35 AM

2,954 posts, read 11,038,673 times
I am not aware of any indoor community pools in Boston or Cambridge. If you are in Cambridge, there is a Boston Sports Club near the Arsenal Mall in Watertown that has an indoor pool if you join. That's about 10 minutes from Harvard Sq. by car. The BSC's in the city and in Central Sq. in Cambridge do not, to my knowledge, have pools. There might also be a more cost-effective option like the YMCA. I think the one in Oak Sq. in Brighton, for example, is pretty cheap and it has a pool.

I understand that some of the hotels in Cambridge allow people to join their gyms for a lower cost since the gyms and pools largely go unused. Or you could just show up for free at a hotel and swim--it's not like they generally check ID!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:52 AM

110 posts, read 390,245 times
The YMCA in Central Sq. Cambridge has a pool. Rates were pretty decent for membership. It is a Y though and you get what you pay for.

A few more listings on this site for Cambridge (page 8) - http://www.icommunityhealth.org/cambridgemovesenglish.pdf (broken link)

Old 02-01-2008, 04:20 PM

Thank you.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:07 PM

1,270 posts, read 4,874,575 times
Default MIT pool Club - Cambridge

Here's what I found out
Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Jeff Dearman
Winchester, MA

EVYLN KIRRANE AQUATIC CENTER - BROOKLINE
Evelyn Kirrane Aquatic Center - Brookline, MA 02445

Boston Sports Club
Boston Sports Club - South End - Boston, MA 02118
(SOUTH END)

Zesiger Sports and Fitness Center at MIT (Cambridge)
Zesiger Sports and Fitness Center at MIT - Boston, MA
Welcome :: MIT DEPARTMENT OF ATHLETICS, PHYSICAL EDUCATION & RECREATION

MIT has an unbelievable workout center. And, unlike most colleges, it isn't just for MIT students. Anyone can use it! For just five bucks as a student, or ten as an adult you can have full access to all of the facilities. The track, the squash courts, the hundreds of machines on two levels and of course the massive Olympic sized pool. They open early 6 a.m. and close late 9 p.m. This facility is truly unbelievable and it s is incredible that MIT will let anyone use it. Definitely try it out. This one's a 10!

SOUTH END FITNESS CENTER AND POOL
South End Fitness Center Boston, South End | Yelp
South End Fitness Center

YMCA Huntington Ave. (near Symphony T)
YMCA of Greater Boston - Central Branch - Boston, MA 02115
Greater Boston YMCA - Home

Commonwealth Sports Club (Commonwealth Avenue near BU/Across the BU bridge from Cambridge)
Commonwealth Sports Club - Allston/Brighton - Boston, MA 02215
Commonwealth Sports Club

Cambridge Family YMCA
Cambridge Family YMCA - Central Square - Cambridge, MA
YMCA - Home

Health Club Membership/Pool membership Royal Sonesta Hotel
Health Club - Royal Sonesta Hotel Boston, MA
Cambridge/Lechemere area

Wellbridge Fitness Center Pool membership
(Harvard Square area/Harvard Univ area)
Wellbridge Fitness Center - Harvard Square - Cambridge, MA
Wellbridge Athletic Club - Charles Square Home Page (http://www.wellbridge.com/wellbridge/cambridge/ - broken link)

If you like swimming there's also a cambridge masters swim club you can join
Cambridge Masters Home Page

I would try the MIT pool club first.
sounds pretty good and right in Cambridge

_jeff
Winchester, MA

Old 02-02-2008, 12:59 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,472,893 times
In addition to the great info Jeff just gave, add BAC (Boston Athletic Club) & the pool at U-Mass.

I'm a swimmer but recently stopped because I became so frustrated by small pools (Jr. Olympic) with such few lanes (4 is standard) that I stopped paying high fees & will wait for something else to come along. I belonged to BAC for years, but found the mornings to be jammed with overly aggressive, type-A women jossling for elbow room or seniors who take up an entire lane by jumping about doing exercises (they could be kind & all use the same lane for that, as it's 4' depth straight across the lane, but don't get it when asked to share). Great they're exercising, but most pools have 2-3 swimmers/lane, so sharing is what swimmers are used to around here. Doesn't work with the elder crowd however. Lunch is tougher, too & afternoons tend to be less crowded but folks don't want to share a lane so make it difficult. You get the stretcher/swimmers then (backstrokers/butterfly) so it's tough to fit.

I used to have to swim at night... not always convenient in many ways & when I swim at 9pm, at 11pm I'm wide awake. I lived in Seattle, too & the pools are larger with less folks using them. U-Mass has a larger pool, but it is often crowded, too. None are cheap anymore. The Y's used to be cheap, but that was long ago. They're as expensive as high end clubs now... with low end surroundings.

BSC (Boston Sports Club) has pools in the S. End, Copley Sq. area & S. Sta. If you travel out of state (NYC, Philly) you can use your membership there, too. I haven't joined (I've had several friends who had trouble with their memberships, not sure of the problem exactly but when I visited the S. End location a few times, there was always an unhappy customer cancelling their membership at the desk). I would try them on trial, however.

The good news? Most pools offer a trial membership of a few days to 2-wks for $20 & sometimes BSC has a 6-wk special. I'd begin with that. Even some of the hotels have pools. I forget which ones, because they were across town & not convenient, so I discarded my list... but even hotels offer trial memberships. Have no idea how large/crowded they are.

Bally's is on Mass Ave in Cambridge (closest to Porter Sq. redline train), so if you work on the redline, that may even work for you. Please update on your findings, if you don't mind... I'm looking for a new pool, too. I'll begin with trail memberships.

Good luck on your move... VV

By the way, I'm unsure which pools you've seen that are outdoors. We don't have the weather most of the year to accommodate outdoor swimming & I'm not aware of any outdoor pools. I think there was one in Brookline... on top of a club or something, but I'm unsure what you're finding. Perhaps non-lap, wading pools for dipping attached to nightclubs (drinks by the pool type things), or something similar?

Old 02-02-2008, 01:21 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,508,827 times
What about some places to do some running? Outdoors is fine.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What about some places to do some running? Outdoors is fine.
Swimmers want to swim. Runners want to run. Not easy to drop a workout routine you like. I miss swimming greatly when I'm not able to do it... most swimmers do. I'd imagine runners would feel the same.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:53 AM

Thanks Kiiten and Dream. Great info. Losts to research. I'll post what i find as I figure things out.

I totally agree with the lane thing and people hogging and not sharing. I am not afraid to be a bit pushy and make people share. It's one of my pet peaves... like my time is not valuable? I guess my time is free!

My wife and I are flying out tonight. She has 5 interviews and its very likely we will be there living in less than 2 months.

We decided to just pull up and do this. Have no kids, been working at the same places plus 7 years and just getting bored. My wife is from philly and me Cali. We are very much looking forward to figuring this all out.

Thanks again for the help and I must say I have picked up very good help on so many other threads here on this forum. Thanks everyone.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diacon33 View Post
I totally agree with the lane thing and people hogging and not sharing. I am not afraid to be a bit pushy and make people share. It's one of my pet peaves...
Ah, well, you're a lad. I'm a small girl... so pushing in doesn't always work with the Type-A's, mostly men, I've tried to share lanes with. My routine is to sit on the side edge of a lane, with my legs in the water (while trying to stuff 10-lbs of hair underneath a silicone cap - ouch!), so that when they make their return lap, they'll see me attempting to get in & hopefully move over. Works 25% of the time. My next step is to then stand in the water, to one side, which makes them move over on their 2nd return lap.

But... as a swimmer, you know when the big, broad shouldered (sometimes women, too) butterfliers don't want to budge. It's either swim while being continually hit by a stray hand/foot or wait for another lane. I find it really difficult when all 4 lanes are filled with such folks... or a bad trend here is kids camp for 2-3 mos during the summer who take up most of the lanes with inner tubes. The noise is also deafening. Be careful of BAC for this. The babysitters very aggressively tell you they were there first & no, the kids will not move over. This is why I frustratedly quit swimming last year... anxious to return.

Quote:
My wife and I are flying out tonight. She has 5 interviews... We decided to just pull up and do this. Have no kids, been working at the same places plus 7 years and just getting bored. We are very much looking forward to figuring this all out.
That's great. Good luck to your wife with her interviews. I've picked up & moved over 1/2-dozen times (many of us on these forums have)... always worked out. If you feel the need to & have the energy to do it, it's meant to be & will all work out.

Yes, if you come across any Boston pools you find less crowded or a good deal, I'd love to know. Once I'm over my little self-imposed exile & tiff I'll begin with the trial memberships. I think the right timing (meaning time of day to workout) is the key to a good pool.

You won't be back online for a week, I'd imagine, but when you get a chance, there's some places here with pools to call. Good luck to you both...

Yahoo! Yellow Pages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or