Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 04:40 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Did you actually live in Boston? It's not even 50% white.

Austin weather is great??? Boston has four seasons and absolutely gorgeous fall spring summer. Winter sucks after a month. But Austin is just hot.

Pretty inaccurate picture of Boston.
Typical respond from a New England or someone who lives in New England is always "well, we have four season". Yea, barely. Summer is about July 1st to Labor Day Weekend, Fall goes from Labor Day Weekend to Halloween, Winter goes from after Halloween to about April or May 1st depending on the year, and then you might squeeze in a spring.

I can only remember about one spring in the last 10 years I was up in New England that was a decent spring. Most years it was rainy and cold up until almost the end of June and then went straight to hot and humid. Summer was just way too short and had to cram everything in to two months. Fall was usually pretty decent, but didn't last long before it was cold. The worst part about fall was knowing the 5-6 month winter was coming and there was no escape; except for all those New Englanders who go to Florida during the winter. While I was up there most New Englanders I know (family included) complained about the weather up there almost all year long.

By the way, Texas has four seasons also...as does pretty much the whole continental United States. Whether you like that areas four seasons is a matter of opinion. Also, if your not in or near Houston, 90 in Texas is pretty nice and more dry than it is in New England. Ninety degrees in New England was humid and a lot more uncomfortable. Average temperature through the winter in Austin area is usually 50's and even sometimes as warm as 80. I find most of Spring and Fall to be really nice (60's to 80's), but you do get some occasional hot days. Summer is hot, and you just spend more time by pool or travel north for a vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 06:45 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Typical respond from a New England or someone who lives in New England is always "well, we have four season". Yea, barely. Summer is about July 1st to Labor Day Weekend, Fall goes from Labor Day Weekend to Halloween, Winter goes from after Halloween to about April or May 1st depending on the year, and then you might squeeze in a spring.

I can only remember about one spring in the last 10 years I was up in New England that was a decent spring. Most years it was rainy and cold up until almost the end of June and then went straight to hot and humid. Summer was just way too short and had to cram everything in to two months. Fall was usually pretty decent, but didn't last long before it was cold. The worst part about fall was knowing the 5-6 month winter was coming and there was no escape; except for all those New Englanders who go to Florida during the winter. While I was up there most New Englanders I know (family included) complained about the weather up there almost all year long.

By the way, Texas has four seasons also...as does pretty much the whole continental United States. Whether you like that areas four seasons is a matter of opinion. Also, if your not in or near Houston, 90 in Texas is pretty nice and more dry than it is in New England. Ninety degrees in New England was humid and a lot more uncomfortable. Average temperature through the winter in Austin area is usually 50's and even sometimes as warm as 80. I find most of Spring and Fall to be really nice (60's to 80's), but you do get some occasional hot days. Summer is hot, and you just spend more time by pool or travel north for a vacation.
Awesome story.

Weather is subjective in quality. I am not wrong for liking 4 seasons (real seasons, not the Texas version of "seasons", give me a break). You are not wrong for liking hot weather. Just pointing it out.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:52 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,187,473 times
Quote:

The winter, at least December, is mild to warm two straight years now.

It was over 60 plus last Christmas and it looks to be 60 again next week on 12/25. Seems not too severe to me.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
The winter, at least December, is mild to warm two straight years now.

It was over 60 plus last Christmas and it looks to be 60 again next week on 12/25. Seems not too severe to me.
Until it didn't stop snowing in January and March and then there was no spring.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:24 AM

596 posts, read 818,286 times
Hmm. 3-4 months of winter in the northeast. That seems normal to me.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Awesome story.

Weather is subjective in quality. I am not wrong for liking 4 seasons (real seasons, not the Texas version of "seasons", give me a break). You are not wrong for liking hot weather. Just pointing it out.
No, I agree. I'm just tired cause I hear so many New Englanders talk about "real four seasons". For me and many people the winters are just too long up there and summers too short. Like I mentioned, spring felt almost nonexistent and fall was just a prequel to winter which I never looked forward to.

If you like winters more than summers, then stay north...and vice versa. I just haven't missed New England weather and like the four seasons we get down in Texas. I enjoy that there are times I can sit on the patio in the winter months.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:05 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
No, I agree. I'm just tired cause I hear so many New Englanders talk about "real four seasons". For me and many people the winters are just too long up there and summers too short. Like I mentioned, spring felt almost nonexistent and fall was just a prequel to winter which I never looked forward to.

If you like winters more than summers, then stay north...and vice versa. I just haven't missed New England weather and like the four seasons we get down in Texas. I enjoy that there are times I can sit on the patio in the winter months.

They're about equally divided, plus or minus a couple of weeks, per season.

I lived in the South for a bit (not Texas) and it just didn't have four seasons. There was no good fall, nor a real winter. And the summers were stifling. That's just my experience.

Of course, I've been sitting on the back deck quite a bit this December it's been so warm.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They're about equally divided, plus or minus a couple of weeks, per season.

I lived in the South for a bit (not Texas) and it just didn't have four seasons. There was no good fall, nor a real winter. And the summers were stifling. That's just my experience.

Of course, I've been sitting on the back deck quite a bit this December it's been so warm.
If your definition of winter is snow and below 30 degrees, correct, we don't have that for a winter. I would say the weather in Texas and much of the Southeast is about 6 weeks to a month ahead of New England Weather. So spring weather arrives about 6 weeks earlier in general.

Not everyone wants Florida type weather and seasons, but not everyone wants New England weather or seasons. I think that is a main reason many have ended up in the Carolinas, Tennessee, or Texas. Its all relative as not everyone assumes the seasons are based on New England weather.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:41 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
If your definition of winter is snow and below 30 degrees, correct, we don't have that for a winter. I would say the weather in Texas and much of the Southeast is about 6 weeks to a month ahead of New England Weather. So spring weather arrives about 6 weeks earlier in general.

Not everyone wants Florida type weather and seasons, but not everyone wants New England weather or seasons. I think that is a main reason many have ended up in the Carolinas, Tennessee, or Texas. Its all relative as not everyone assumes the seasons are based on New England weather.

I haven't spent my entire life living in New England, and I'm not basing my definitions just on New England. Thank you very much.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:47 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,187,473 times
Austin often falls below 32 at night in the coldest part of its winter, and it's not unusual to see low 20s at night at its coldest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston