Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 12:34 PM

8 posts, read 10,471 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm looking to move back to Boston in the next year or two and am doing some preliminary research on schools for my son who has moderate to high-functioning autism. By the time we move, he'll be entering kindergarten. I'm hoping someone can share their experience with special ed programs in any metro Boston schools -- districts to stay away from or districts that are especially good when it comes to special ed. I'm especially interested in hearing about special ed in Cambridge, Brookline, and Milton public schools. I've heard enough frustrations with BPS that we're unlikely to go that route, but if anyone has had especially good experience with certain BPS schools, I wouldn't mind hearing about it. Private schools are unlikely as well, but if your private school experience was exceptional, please share! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 09:00 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
My oldest son was diagnosed with ASD a few years ago and it sounds like he's about the same age as your son. I'm always asking the professionals that work with him about the various public school systems in the area because he's a top priority for me and I would certainly be open to the idea of moving if it would be helpful for him.

Generally, the feedback I get from these people is that if the town's school system is highly regarded for typical kids then it also tends to have a good special ed program as well. I know many of the people that work with my son have recommended Newton in particular.

I know your son is likely a top priority to you, but do you also have budgetary and commuting requirements as well?

Old 01-25-2016, 07:10 PM

Thanks for responding. As far as commuting requirements, I'll be mostly working from home and commuting only 1-2 days a week to Cambridge and/or downtown Boston. I'd prefer to commute by public transit, but since it'll only be a couple of days at the most, driving occasionally is fine. In the past, I've lived in both Cambridge and south Dorchester, near Milton, and tended to be redline dependent, so I'm familiar with those commutes.

My only strict requirement, aside from getting the best possible education for my son, is for him to be in a fairly diverse school system. We are a multi-ethnic and multi-racial family, and highly value exposure to diverse cultures. Though I know we would be accepted in most parts of metro Boston, it's pretty important to me that my son also not be the only (or one of very few) kids of color in his school. Looking through the school data on the Mass department of education website, I saw that Cambridge, Brookline, and Milton seemed to be fairly well-ranked districts while also having a pretty diverse student body, hence my interest in those towns.

As far as budget, we'd need a 2-3 bedroom for less than $400,000 to buy or $2,200 a month to rent (which I know is tight for my preferred neighborhoods).

Old 01-25-2016, 08:04 PM

596 posts, read 818,446 times
I don't think you'll find what you're looking for in your price range in Brookline. Definitely can't buy for that.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:17 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
Your rental budget will work in Arlington or Watertown. Not Brookline, unfortunately. I do not know too much about Milton to comment.

I would zoom on East Arlington area near Alewife for best school/quality of life/commute balance. You might even find very decent but older 2+ bed condo to buy there.

Good luck.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:14 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
I really don't know Milton at all but as others have said I can't imagine you'll find anything you would be happy living in in Brookline or Cambridge at that price point. If you want to stay as close to Boston as possible then certainly Arlington or maybe Watertown might work as George suggested.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:17 PM

837 posts, read 1,225,439 times
You wouldn't be able to buy in Milton with your budget unless you wanted to do some heavy remodeling...if you could find something within your price range. There's also a very small-to-nil rental market. As others have already said, you'd probably have better luck near Watertown or Arlington.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:16 PM

Thanks for all the responses...but this is why I didn't lead with my budget and probably shouldn't have gone there at all. I've been reading city-data for about 10 years and I've definitely noticed that the appraisal of the Boston market on here doesn't quite match up with my experience in the city. Yes, the market is pretty tight, especially compared to other cities. Realtors are quick to point this out. But it's also not impossible to find places, and to even find places (to rent) that are relatively affordable and not total dumps. Those places tend to offered by owner and not by realtors, so they don't show up on realtors' sites. But they do exist; I (and my friends) have lived in them!

So while the market is indeed pretty tight, there do exist apartments in my price range for buying in Milton and for rental in Cambridge (I'll readily admit though that Brookline is becoming an increasingly remote possibility, but they do have affordable units that pop up every once in a while). I've lived in Cambridge and have house-shopped in Milton, so I know I can find something within my price range that is also not a total dump. That's why I've settled on looking in these towns.

If anyone has any insight into the public schools in those towns (or within Boston proper), I'd much appreciate hearing about them. Thanks!

Old 01-31-2016, 02:51 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubin View Post
Thanks for all the responses...but this is why I didn't lead with my budget and probably shouldn't have gone there at all. I've been reading city-data for about 10 years and I've definitely noticed that the appraisal of the Boston market on here doesn't quite match up with my experience in the city. Yes, the market is pretty tight, especially compared to other cities. Realtors are quick to point this out. But it's also not impossible to find places, and to even find places (to rent) that are relatively affordable and not total dumps. Those places tend to offered by owner and not by realtors, so they don't show up on realtors' sites. But they do exist; I (and my friends) have lived in them!

So while the market is indeed pretty tight, there do exist apartments in my price range for buying in Milton and for rental in Cambridge (I'll readily admit though that Brookline is becoming an increasingly remote possibility, but they do have affordable units that pop up every once in a while). I've lived in Cambridge and have house-shopped in Milton, so I know I can find something within my price range that is also not a total dump. That's why I've settled on looking in these towns.

If anyone has any insight into the public schools in those towns (or within Boston proper), I'd much appreciate hearing about them. Thanks!
What you're looking for price wise isn't impossible, but it's hard to find and it's becoming harder every year. I'm not sure when you last lived in Boston but things have changed a lot in only a few years. I'll also say if you're looking at listings on craigslist for example, at least half the listings in your price range will be click bait for apartments that don't really exist.

Anyway, public schools in Boston proper are considered bad. Milton is good. Cambridge is a mixed bag.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:36 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
What you're looking for price wise isn't impossible, but it's hard to find and it's becoming harder every year. I'm not sure when you last lived in Boston but things have changed a lot in only a few years. I'll also say if you're looking at listings on craigslist for example, at least half the listings in your price range will be click bait for apartments that don't really exist.

Anyway, public schools in Boston proper are considered bad. Milton is good. Cambridge is a mixed bag.
Cambridge is not very highly regarded BUT it is very well funded system that can afford to spend thousands of dollars on all sorts of help, and spends at this point 2X amount per student in comparison to other towns in the area. Is this good opportunity for getting needed support for your kid perhaps?

There should be specific Cambridge forums related to schools and it wouldn't hurt to ask. On this forum few posters have similar needs, and it is hard to gather necessary data.

BTW Dm84 is correct to warn you about RE getting hard to "win". We have many relocations and even more students, and things are pretty competitive especially if you have kids.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston