Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 12:43 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,300,293 times

Advertisements

'Is driving a car even worth the trouble? '

Yes it is. I can sit in my car alone, go wherever I want taking the roads I want to get there.

Sure it will cost me and there may be traffic...but it sure beats being on a crowded train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 05:03 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,075,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Is driving a car even worth the trouble?

It just seems like driving problems become more and more of a nightmare.

Cars are so expensive to purchase and maintain. There are excise taxes, insurance, repairs, and gas costs. The roads are clogged with so much traffic and the condition of roads are so bad. Is it really worth having having a car?

I'm starting to think it's a conspiracy. I think the government would prefer less people driving because the road infrastructure can't handle the volume and the state can't seem to afford to make any improvements.

Driving is no longer convenient. It makes people angry and late.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the trouble. I don't own a car. Don't miss the headache one bit.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:06 AM

21 posts, read 21,893 times
I looked into public transit into Boston when I went back to work 5 years ago. I have a commuter rail station about 2 miles from my house. I would have to take commuter rail into North Station, then take the red line, switch to the green line, and then walk about 1.5 miles to my work. All told, my commute would take about 1.5 hours on a good day using public transit. Driving takes me about 45 minutes on a typical day. There is an express bus into Boston but I am locked into their schedule which is tough when you have small kids you have to pick up from daycare and such. So yeah, it's more expensive, but it's worth the time and hassle I save.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:43 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorkt View Post
I looked into public transit into Boston when I went back to work 5 years ago. I have a commuter rail station about 2 miles from my house. I would have to take commuter rail into North Station, then take the red line, switch to the green line, and then walk about 1.5 miles to my work. All told, my commute would take about 1.5 hours on a good day using public transit. Driving takes me about 45 minutes on a typical day. There is an express bus into Boston but I am locked into their schedule which is tough when you have small kids you have to pick up from daycare and such. So yeah, it's more expensive, but it's worth the time and hassle I save.
cant blame you for driving. Seems like if you have to switch trains and all that then it's a pain.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:07 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,154,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorkt View Post
I looked into public transit into Boston when I went back to work 5 years ago. I have a commuter rail station about 2 miles from my house. I would have to take commuter rail into North Station, then take the red line, switch to the green line, and then walk about 1.5 miles to my work.
Where do you work that's in Boston but a mile and a half from a transit stop? No bus, either?

Old 02-11-2016, 04:10 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,666,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Where do you work that's in Boston but a mile and a half from a transit stop? No bus, either?
large swaths of Dorchester, Allston and Brighton are far off the subway system. Trying to go CR to subway to bus is insane.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:43 PM

i dont know anyone who has to do commuter rail to red line to green line etc, but i'm sure it happens.

I have a walk to work from Kendall. It's not 1.5 miles, i dont know how long it is to be honest, but when it's freezing cold and you are in a hurry it's not fun.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:04 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,728,963 times
Doing commuter rail to North Station and switching to the red line would be quite the feet indeed. Especially to get to the green line.

No wonder it took so long, since they could have just gotten on the green line at North Station instead of walking from North Station to Park Street to get on the green line there.

Color me skeptical.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:11 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,666,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Doing commuter rail to North Station and switching to the red line would be quite the feet indeed. Especially to get to the green line.

No wonder it took so long, since they could have just gotten on the green line at North Station instead of walking from North Station to Park Street to get on the green line there.

Color me skeptical.
I was scratching my head too.

That said commuter rail to subway adds a significant amount of time to a commute, especially on the way home. It's not surprising to me that poster determined driving would be better.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:22 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,728,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I was scratching my head too.

That said commuter rail to subway adds a significant amount of time to a commute, especially on the way home. It's not surprising to me that poster determined driving would be better.

I'm not either. The logistics just didn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston