Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 6,704 times

Advertisements

i love new york and currently live in chicago, which is great! i could be happy living here forever. i'm in my mid twenties. what i love about these cities are the enclaves of intensely urban, open minded, and creative folks... young artists, musicians, and just plain interesting people that tend to live in cultural capitals. however, it makes sense for me, professionally, to move for a job in Cambridge. i'm gay and prefer open minded and mixed communities--like you find in williamsburg, brooklyn and wicker park, chicago--rather than a segregated "gay scene."

is boston bland, sportsy, "just a big college town," provincial and all the other bad things i've heard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 09:45 AM

80 posts, read 477,514 times
Boston and Cambridge are very urban, and in particular you definitely will find the open minded, creative, interesting crowd in Cambridge (Inman square, davis sqare and central square are a few areas to consider). I am gay and have lived in many cities across the country, and Boston definitely does not have a segretated gay scene (Massachusetts is the only state that allows gay marriage). In fact, gay is so integrated here that I sometimes miss the community of core gay neighborhoods. Boston definitely has a different vibe than New York or Chicago and is not quite as edgy. It sounds like Cambridge would be a great fit for you, though.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:01 AM

166 posts, read 705,518 times
Well, I'm straight and don't know much about the gay scene. However I think you will find most of what you are looking for in Boston, especially in Cambridge. Boston is never bland, I don't know where you heard that. Yes, Boston is very sportsy, but liking sports is not a requirement to live here.

It is true that Boston can feel like nothing but a giant college campus though, and that's one of the reasons why I left. Anyone over the age of 25 in Boston will start to feel old pretty quickly. If you are looking to live in an actual neighborhood with a good cross section of people and ages, then your choices in Boston are very limited.

Lastly, as I'm sure you've heard before, Boston is a very expensive place to live.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:16 AM

415 posts, read 1,666,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainslice View Post
i love new york and currently live in chicago, which is great! i could be happy living here forever. i'm in my mid twenties. what i love about these cities are the enclaves of intensely urban, open minded, and creative folks... young artists, musicians, and just plain interesting people that tend to live in cultural capitals. however, it makes sense for me, professionally, to move for a job in Cambridge. i'm gay and prefer open minded and mixed communities--like you find in williamsburg, brooklyn and wicker park, chicago--rather than a segregated "gay scene."

is boston bland, sportsy, "just a big college town," provincial and all the other bad things i've heard?
How do you expect to get an accurate response when the tone (and language) of your post is so negative?

Old 02-08-2008, 01:30 PM

406 posts, read 1,496,833 times
Agree with the PP--Cambridge or maybe even Jamaica Plain would be right on the money for you.

Sorry you've heard such negative things about Boston--the "provincial" part actually made me laugh out loud. I think the "sportsy" thing is more of a suburban phenomenon. I mean, people follow sports teams here just like in ever city, but it's not the be-all and end-all. I guess you'll just have to come and see what you think.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:39 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coem View Post
Well, I'm straight and don't know much about the gay scene. However I think you will find most of what you are looking for in Boston, especially in Cambridge. Boston is never bland, I don't know where you heard that. Yes, Boston is very sportsy, but liking sports is not a requirement to live here.

It is true that Boston can feel like nothing but a giant college campus though, and that's one of the reasons why I left. Anyone over the age of 25 in Boston will start to feel old pretty quickly. If you are looking to live in an actual neighborhood with a good cross section of people and ages, then your choices in Boston are very limited.

Lastly, as I'm sure you've heard before, Boston is a very expensive place to live.
I will second that. I've had better experiences in many other cities being over 25. The nightlife scene after 25 starts to become quite lame and old.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:57 PM

52 posts, read 229,918 times
Default well...

i've lived in all 3 cities: nyc, chicago, and boston. boston was my least fave. seemed very small and indeed provincial to me after the other cities. that said, many people like it and find a niche there. i'd recommend you know which niche you'd fit into or have a base of friends there to begin with if you do decide to take the plunge.

good luck!

Old 02-10-2008, 02:05 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainslice View Post

The Back Bay is a great area- walkable city, the Public Garden , coffee houses, Newbury St., art galleries and old book shoppes. I love it! Cambridge also has a lot to offer.

Good luck.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:18 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,615 times
Your original post seems quite negative. No one should succumb to stereotypes. It is much better to experience Boston for yourself and make up your mind. It is really unfair to compare a city of 20 million (NYC) or 9 million (Chicago) to a city of 5 million (Boston). You won't get the same amenities in terms of culture, etc. in Boston as NYC and Chicago. However, in terms of livability, for me, Boston trumps both NYC and Chicago.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:38 PM

287 posts, read 1,028,236 times
Boston certainly isn't any more of a sports town than Chicago, and you clearly like hanging out in a young hipster scene so I don't know what you're problem is with the young people. Yes it is true, Boston is on a smaller scale than Chicago or New York, but it's hardly some podunk backwoods town. All the neighborhoods mentioned already would probably be good for you, but if you have that kind of attitude about it you're not going to be happy with it. Oh and I'd also suggest around Davis Square in Somerville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston