Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 07:11 AM

3 posts, read 12,128 times

Advertisements

I'm a young professional and found some apartments in the Brighton/Allston area, one next to Commonwealth Avenue at Warren Street T stop, and the other along Woodstock Ave just a little ways from the Allston Street T stop.

I'm originally from the Somerville area, so I know I'll already be down trading the reliable Red Line for the notorious B line. Help me prevent bigger regrets by outlining the safety in the areas I listed? For example, how often do apartments get robbed in the area? Is the general area more prone to raging parties?

Also, how sketchy is Corey Road next to the apartments? For reference, I'm a petite female, and it seems like there is little traffic on that road. Would you avoid there at night and keep to the more lit, busy roads?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 07:46 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmovealot View Post
I'm a young professional and found some apartments in the Brighton/Allston area, one next to Commonwealth Avenue at Warren Street T stop, and the other along Woodstock Ave just a little ways from the Allston Street T stop.

I'm originally from the Somerville area, so I know I'll already be down trading the reliable Red Line for the notorious B line. Help me prevent bigger regrets by outlining the safety in the areas I listed? For example, how often do apartments get robbed in the area? Is the general area more prone to raging parties?

Also, how sketchy is Corey Road next to the apartments? For reference, I'm a petite female, and it seems like there is little traffic on that road. Would you avoid there at night and keep to the more lit, busy roads?

Thanks for any help!
Used to live near the Washington St stop just about 5 minute walk from Warren. Still live in Brighton, but now near Brighton Center/ Oak Square. My girlfriend lives on Gordon Street currently, near the Warren Street stop. The entire area is flush with college students and young professionals. The area is really fine in terms of safety: http://www.spotcrime.com/ma/boston/allston-brighton

Not a whole lot of crime action in Brighton. Corey Road is also the border between Brighton and famously safe Brookline.

Harry's bar is right on the corner of Warren and Comm ave. I don't know if that's a plus or a minus for you. I personally like going there and it's not really a neighborhood nuisance or anything.

That being said, still plenty of reasons to dislike living in the area. For one, you will never know who your neighbors are, as people move in and out all the time. So there's not much of a neighborhood feel. Plus, the B line truly does suck. If you commute downtown, that will take closer to an hour to get there, probably 45 minutes. Additionally, you will pay a premium to live on the slowest train line in the USA. I lived on Comm ave for a couple years. When I moved to off of Washington where the 57 runs, that knocked off about $100. If you can, I'd consider Brighton Center a little more. Tends to be a more mature crowd with fewer undergrads and not paying for the privilege of the green line.

I also don't really like living around students- they tend to not care a whole lot about keeping tidy and haven't yet mastered some basic considerations, like turning off music at midnight, for example, or taking garbage to the dumpster instead of leaving it in the hallway overnight.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:29 AM

3 posts, read 12,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

Additionally, you will pay a premium to live on the slowest train line in the USA. I lived on Comm ave for a couple years. When I moved to off of Washington where the 57 runs, that knocked off about $100. If you can, I'd consider Brighton Center a little more. Tends to be a more mature crowd with fewer undergrads and not paying for the privilege of the green line.

What is the green line premium? Is that just the extra money they charge you on top of rent?

Old 03-02-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
What is the green line premium? Is that just the extra money they charge you on top of rent?
Just saying that apartments right on train lines cost more than a few blocks away, or bus lines. I use the 57 to go downtown and the 86 to commute to Cambridge. I'd totally rather walk since the buses are slow and crowded like the train. But I'd rather suffer the bus than suffer the train and pay more to do so.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:36 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:

Thanks for any help!
Very safe area that I used to live in. That said, at 3 am I wouldn't decide to go for a leisurely stroll.

It's not as "hip" as Somerville but I found that to be a positive.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:35 PM

75 posts, read 82,450 times
Another vote for 'safe area'. I lived on Kelton Street and never felt unsafe. Now I live further up Comm Ave near Packard's Corner and the issues with students mentioned above are WAY worse.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:33 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,062,754 times
I would avoid Allston/Brighton unless you actually work in the area - overpaying for the privilege of living in a shoebox-sized rat trap next door to a bunch of constantly wasted BU/BC dudebros on the painfully slow B line just doesn't sound to appealing to me.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
I would avoid Allston/Brighton unless you actually work in the area - overpaying for the privilege of living in a shoebox-sized rat trap next door to a bunch of constantly wasted BU/BC dudebros on the painfully slow B line just doesn't sound to appealing to me.
There are some very affordable areas of Brighton and Allston. The vast majority of Brighton is not located near the B line for instance.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:01 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
The area seems fine at any reasonable hour. Not too much in the news about knifings and shootings in that pocket of Boston, thankfully.

The Allston-Brighton Tab weekly may still have a crime page listing recent area activities. You can buy it at Tedeschi convenience store in Cleveland Circle, check back issues at the library, or perhaps they have that section online. A police station is in a part of Brighton; some say to walk in and ask about local crime or recent incidents...but do police really have an obligation or desire to divulge anything? I've always wondered how good that feedback would be.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
The area seems fine at any reasonable hour. Not too much in the news about knifings and shootings in that pocket of Boston, thankfully.

The Allston-Brighton Tab weekly may still have a crime page listing recent area activities. You can buy it at Tedeschi convenience store in Cleveland Circle, check back issues at the library, or perhaps they have that section online. A police station is in a part of Brighton; some say to walk in and ask about local crime or recent incidents...but do police really have an obligation or desire to divulge anything? I've always wondered how good that feedback would be.
Yeah people say to do that, but I don't buy it. Likely largely dependent on who answer the phone. And whoever that is has very little incentive to give it much thought or provide any details in depth. Online crime maps already tell the tale of what crimes have been reported in what areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston